A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone knows a cat deterrent?

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

F7182?thread=5165296

Post 2

Mu Beta

Yes...we could do with a good suggestion as well.

B

Post 3

Researcher 1300304

the traditional remedy is ammonia. but in my experience it doesn't work.

this site says orange peel and pine cones. http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatUrineOdour.htm

Post 4

Icy North

Bel, I've left him a message.

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 5

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

First of all are you certain it is cats fouling garden?
This might sound a silly question but I have a lot of foxes around here (urban-ish area) that just do it anywhere and don't bury it. You may think you have a sealed garden but foxes can climb fences and squeeze through small gaps.

Post 6

Icy North

I get foxes too. I haven't had them fouling the garden since we put the anti-cat plants in about a year ago. (It doesn't stop the pests screeching their heads off in the middle of the road though)

Post 7

A_Cute_Angel

air rifle

Post 8

novosibirsk - as normal as I can be........

A Rottweiler

Novo

Post 9

May I point out that harming cats is illegal and morally wrong.

Post 10

novosibirsk - as normal as I can be........

Certainly, but I am aware that my two black ones enjoy parading up and down next doors front windows, where their dog sits inside when they are at work. Drives him crazy, and they know it smiley - smiley

Novo

PS
I thought cats were classed as vermin, and thus open season existed on them.

Post 11

Not in the UK, they are not classed as vermin and you will be prosecuted for cruelty if harm a cat.

Post 12

sprout

But if you run over a cat you're not legally obliged to report it, as I understand. Whereas a dog you do.

So they must have a different legal status.

sprout

Post 13

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Yeah, cats are more likely to come back and get you smiley - smiley

Post 14

Taff Agent of kaos

get an empty, clear plastic drinks bottle, 2L, half fill it with water and the lay it down on its side in the garden

it deters the cats

i dont know why

my mumsaid it was something to do with the light????

smiley - bat

Post 15

Icy North

The water bottles may keep them out of a particular flower bed, but they'll still use the rest of the garden. And they're pretty ugly too - I'd only use them on your allotment/vegetable patch.

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

And what deters them at night in that case?

Post 17

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Talk to them, get into their clique and covert them.

Get a cat of your own.

Post 18

BMT

I wondered how long it would take some sick moron to suggest harming or killing cats, didn't take long did it?

It's down to owners frankly and how they look after and train their cats. Mine go out, have a romp around then come back in and use their tray. I don't kick them out at night either. Why do people do that anyway? They're house pets, keep them in.

Any citrus smelling fruit/plant will deter them without harm. There are also cat repellant capsules available that do the same thing, available from nurseries, pet shops and the like.

smiley - cat

Post 19

swl

Try planting a catnip bush. Cats hate them because the smell "nips" their noses. You might need two or three, depending on the size of your garden. The Pharoahs used them on the Royal barges to keep the cats off, so it's been deterring cats for over 2000 years. You can buy packets of catnip. I'd suggest rubbing it into your clothes and wandering around outside for a while, so the cats associate you with your garden and steer well clear.

Post 20

anachromaticeye

smiley - erm

You could move to a high-rise block of flats. It's the lifts, they can't reach the button.

I seem to remember a thread about this a while back that ended up championing lion poo. Apparently you can buy the stuff from garden centers. I can't remember who said it, might have been STRANGELY STRANGE

Key: Complain about this post