A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Weird names...

Post 1

NPY

What's the weirdest place name, food name, brand name or whatever that you've come across?

Always found names of some breakfast cereals kinda daft, like "Corn Flakes". Could they not have thought of something a bit more funky?

Weird names...

Post 2

Xanatic

There´s a city in Norway called Hammerfest.

Weird names...

Post 3

KB

What state is Intercourse in? Pennsylvania I think.

I've always loved the name of the Kerry mountain range "Macgillycuddy's Reeks". I often wonder what it reeks of.

Weird names...

Post 4

NPY

Eeek.....

There's a place near me called Ahoghill, though it's not pronounced the way it's spelt.

Weird names...

Post 5

A Super Furry Animal

Westward Ho!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Weird names...

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I always find the names of breckfast cerials absolutely terrifying, always have, and the therapist ain't no help.
I mean, 'Special 'K'' waht? sounds like its some kind of radioactive element that we're ment to eat.
Wheetabix?; isn't that just another name for sell our soul?
Golden Grahams? what about the non golden grahams? I thought they'd banned racist comments like that.
And, well, Corn flakes. I'm not even going there smiley - run
Now porridge theres a good wholesome breckast, and without any need to make refernce to sexual innuendos, cheap political puns, or even taking the mic out of fish. smiley - magicsmiley - corncob

Weird names...

Post 7

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I've always like the town/city in Turkey called Batman.

Weird names...

Post 8

A Super Furry Animal

Biffy Clyro always cracks me up! smiley - winkeye

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Weird names...

Post 9

Xanatic

There´s a city in the US called Tarzana. There´s also a Metropolis, I believe they have a Superman statue.
I was rather disappointed to find out that our company´s salesmen in Zebulon were not on another planet, but in fact in a city in the US.

Weird names...

Post 10

Tigger_juggler

Cities and counties in Texas:

Deaf Smith, Erath, Comal, Temple, Post, Energy, Lockett, Sundown, Rome, Paris, London, Moscow, Dublin, Chalk, Slate, Waco, Hico, Earth...

Some of the more interesting ones, with any information I can remember about them smiley - winkeye:

Unknown - an error in the paperwork the group submitted to create the town put Unknown as the name of the town instead of another name.

Hutto - home of the hippos, and a cement hippo is a tourist attraction.

Matador - no bullfighting rings anywhere, the school is the Motley County Matadors, and was one of the sites of Roy Rogers' last movie "McIntosh and TJ." That one was interesting too because they filmed the bar in Matador - though Motley County is dry.

Hitchcock - where some in our school thought their mascot would be the Alfreds until we actually went to a game there

Amarillo - which is not yellow in color for the most part now thanks to Stanley Marsh's street signs.

Tarzan - which only has a post office to its name, and the only "town" between Big Spring and Andrews, which leads to:

Big Spring: To my knowledge, there's no spring in the city. There is, however, a ghost hotel called "Hotel Settles"

Canyon - near a canyon (Palo Duro Canyon, home to the musical drama "TEXAS"), also home to Tex Randall, a 60+ foot tall cowboy that is the tallest year-round standing cowboy in the state. Big Tex of the State Fair is taller, but he's not up all year.

Sealy - which, while they don't make the mattresses there anymore, apparently one of the founders did create the box spring. I need to double check that though. smiley - winkeye

Hereford - home of the Whitefaces and the name does fit the city. It's a cattle and now dairy town.

A lot of the cities here are also named after people who fought in the Texas Revolution, but it can get confusing as a majority of Texas' counties are also named for the fighters, and in some cases the town is not in the county.

Weird names...

Post 11

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

There's a hamlet in Essex called Rotten End.

Weird names...

Post 12

NPY

Oh dear help!!!

I've heard that there's a town in France called "Y". Just that one letter.

Weird names...

Post 13

A Super Furry Animal

There's a town in one of the "-guay"* countries called Fray Bentos.

This probably doesn't mean anything to you unless you're (i) UKish, and (ii) "d'un age certain"! smiley - senior

RFsmiley - evilgrin

* Just checked. It's Uruguay.

Weird names...

Post 14

NPY

Fray Bentos?!?!!? smiley - yikes Do they make weird pies there?

Weird names...

Post 15

A Super Furry Animal

Yes! It's where they come from! And they named the whole *town* after them!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Weird names...

Post 16

NPY

Never liked the pies. Seems a bit odd to cook them in a tin.

Weird names...

Post 17

A Super Furry Animal

Actually... smiley - geek the town was named after a jesuit priest (Fra. Bento), and was corrupted. The pies were named after the town, as the main industry in the town was beef processing. The meat was then exported to Europe, and made into pies in the UK, which took the name of the town they came from. smiley - geek

Still...

smiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - rofl

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Weird names...

Post 18

swl

There's a place near Dumfries called Ae. It's thought to be a corruption of "Eh?".

Weird names...

Post 19

NPY

Help!!! gets weirder!!

Weird names...

Post 20

Xanatic

Big Canadian population there?

Key: Complain about this post