A Conversation for Ask h2g2

how do i wear a hat and not feel rediculous?

Post 1

Peter Stuart

Hats are out in Europa, caps are not, in America.
Times when high hats and bowler hats in the streets have seemingly passed. Why? And why are baseball caps and hoods no problem?

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

It's one of those puzzles isn't it? And what about the hats of the 50's, the brimmed type with the pinch at the front?
Does it have any relation to a rise in individual hair styles for men? Did men poretty much all used to have the same unadventurous hair cut, and then as fashionable hair came in, so people wanted to show it?

Post 3

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

mopre to the point does anyone have a snap brim fedora i have been looking for this style of hat forever and a day, i dont know why *real* hats are out of fasion i think theyre wicked cool.

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Whats rong with looking rediculus? its the only reason I wear a hat to look redicluls smiley - erm I have two hats, a 'chitty chitty Bang bang' Dick van-dike thing which is large made of cotton with mirror glass and all kinds of rubbish on it, and a small black leather 'pork pie' hat, Everyone I know refuses to go anyhwere with me when I wear the first hat and complain about the second smiley - ermsmiley - silly I've been looking for a decent new hat for a while but they seem quite expensive smiley - erm

Post 5

EvilTwin

I feel that possibly the most under-rated garment in the hat world, has to be the bobble hat. Its very rare to see them these days.......

Post 6

Deety

Global warming hasn't helped....smiley - smiley

Post 7

Geggs

I have quite a nice trilby that I like to wear on ocassion. My beloved isn't quite so keen on it, however.

Geggs

Post 8

i used to have a lovely cordouroy trilby that some old guy died in but my mate riped it putting it onto his head

Post 9

I was thinking of getting a trilby, my lodger has several rather expensive trilby's but I'm not sure I should get one as It might look a bit more odd than nomral were we to both go out wearing them to the pub smiley - weird

Post 10

Teasswill

My Grandma would never go out without wearing a hat. Dress codes have just changed - but you still see lots of fancy hats at weddings & such like.

I've yet to find a hat that suits me, doesn't mess up my hair & doesn't blow off in the slightest breeze.
I suppose ladies used not to take their hats off in public, or their hair was so well pinned/styled that the hat didn't affect it.
Do youths wear their hoods up or woolly hats pulled low over their faces to avoid recognition?

Post 11

they do, and i hate them they give us all bad name with theyre smack and cheese partys (sorry smiley - blush didnt mean to fly off the handle like that)

Post 12

EvilTwin

We British have a reputation for wearing bowler hats......

Yet I don't ever actually recall ever having seen anyone wear one....

strange eh?????

Post 13

Zak T Duck

It's all in the mind. I wear my flat cap if I'm out when it's cold. I ignore the giggles and comments from folk who say it makes me look Hucknallesque (thanks unfortunately to my hair colouring), and just let it wash over me.

As long as you're happy and comfortable wearing hats that's all that should matter. smiley - smiley

Post 14

As my Grandfather used to say,
'If you want to get a head, get a hat'
He famouslyk, or perhaps infamously lost his head you see, left it inside his hat at a railway waiting room in some little village that had a train station, always was forgetful, good job it doesn't go in the family smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post