A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A new starship Titanic?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

I've played the computer game and know the link with DNA but is this coincedence?

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

A new starship Titanic?

Post 2

Eowyn

It is probably not a coincidence. Douglas Adams wrote some Doctor Who episodes in the past and there are occasional nods to his work in the recent series, for example an episode called "42".

But this forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas special is set on the real Titanic, not on a spaceship.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 3

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

"But this forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas special is set on the real Titanic, not on a spaceship. "

Are you sure about that?

smiley - ale

A new starship Titanic?

Post 4

Eowyn

No.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 5

Zak T Duck

The advent calendar jigsaw puzzle on the Doctor Who site (December 9) seems to back up that it's a starship. Looks remarkably like the Starship Titanic from Futurama, perhaps Zapp Brannigan is at the helm smiley - winkeye

A new starship Titanic?

Post 6

Eowyn

I can only see one page on that Adventure Calendar, but it looks like the actual Titanic, although the moon is very large in the picture, and there appear to be stars in front of it.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 7

Mister Matty

I suspect it won't be the actual RMS Titanic of the early 20th century simply because the Doctor has mentioned that he's been there several times already (notably the ninth Doctor). Also, for the Christmas special, RTD's going to want something spectacular and a simple sailing ship probably won't manage that.

I hope this is good. "The Runaway Bride" was silly pantomime with a horrendously hammy villain and a forgetable plot. I know the Christmas special isn't supposed to rival "Human Nature/Family of Blood" but I hope we get something with a bit more meat on it this year.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 8

Xanatic

Looking at the advent/ure calendar, it certainly is moving through space. It still looks very ship-like though.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 9

A_Cute_Angel

the captain's name is given as hardaker which rules out it being the real titanic because the captain of that was called smith and wasn't even a captain he was a commodore.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 10

Xanatic

I just saw the clip where the Doctor meets Astrid. Man that guy is gagging for it. He´s only just set off Martha.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 11

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

Well, technically anybody who is in command of a ship becomes the captain. Although it's a position rather than a rank if you see what I mean.

A new starship Titanic?

Post 12

Giford

The cinema trailer (!) for the special clearly shows a starship. Starship Titanic went through my mind, and I haven't even played the game!

I suspect a 'twist' part-way through where the Doctor finds he's not on the original Titanic, a la 'Enlightenment'.

In four days we'll know anyway!

Gif smiley - geek

A new starship Titanic?

Post 13

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Having been messing about with the Advent calendar:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

it is definitely a starship, as the date is in the future and instead of an iceberg, it seems to be struck by three meteorites or missiles...

I just liked the intentional/accidental tie-in, even if the storyline bears no relationship to DNA's...

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post