A Conversation for Ask h2g2

That Chicken stuff...

Post 301

Phil

What he said was...
I could get you all mixed up if I wrote everything I said down in Lancashire.
(or more properly, I could get you right mixed up for the opening part)

Time to bring up the link to the poem Bowton's Yard by Samuel Laycock. http://www.nyt.co.uk/seawndot.htm
Laycock was a poet from just outside Manchester and wrote in a Lancashire dialect. Boltons Yard really did exist in part of what is now Stalybridge (Tameside).

Translations for the cloth eared can be got from several of the posters to this forum.

That Chicken stuff...

Post 302

Kaeori

Going back to 'dog' stuff, why is a cigarette butt called a dog-end? It's not rude, is it?

That Chicken stuff...back to the dogs

Post 303

Trillian's child

No, for once. Unless you have got a really filfthy imagination

Post 304

rickydazla

I would disagree - you wouldn't want to suck on a dog's 'end' would you, just as you wouldn't want to suck on the end of a cigarette!

Post 305

Kaeori

Ok, I'm naive, I'm innocent - or perhaps just plain stupid! But I still don't get why it's called a dog-end.

Post 306

Trillian's child

Never having smoked, that is beyond my imagination.

Post 307

Kaeori

Hang on, RickD - people *do* suck on the end of cigarettes. So what's your point?smiley - bigeyes

Post 308

rickydazla

I meant End not end - as in 'The End' not 'the end'!?!?!

Post 309

Kaeori

I think I must be stupid. Or perhaps, to bring in yet another doggie expression, I've gone to the dogs.

I think I need the weekend.

Yes, that's it!smiley - smiley

Post 310

rickydazla

20 minutes left at work then I'm dogging off!! ,-)

Post 311

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Going down to the dogs then?
Or is it the Dog and Pheasant first?

Post 312

rickydazla

No. Girlfriend's up from London - off to... smiley - winkeye

Post 313

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Doggie fashion?????????????????????????????

Post 314

Potholer

Yup - been dogged by dumb-user and Micro$oft problems all week, I'm dog-tired now, so I'll go home and lie doggo for a while.

Post 315

Potholer

To avoid misunderstanding, my posting above relates back to one a few *earlier* than the one above it.

Spelling

Post 316

prez

Anyone confirm the correct spelling of the plural of "Roof"?
I've always used "roofs" but I am told "rooves" is equally correct.

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 317

Fruitbat (Eric the)

If you're expecting clarity and sense from colloquial slang, especially from stuff that's constantly evolving, you probably belong in a University studying this.

I keep wondering why the music and lyrics of rap stars (who usually speak the language of the American Black city experience) have such a huge appeal to young adults and teens that don't live in cities, aren't black or American.....None of the problems or solutions that I've overheard (I can't stand rap) ever have any connection with the lives of these other people.

>So just how are we supposed to understand the British? I'm trying, really I am.
I think you need to undergo a cultural shift; just picking up the slang terminology isn't going to cutit: you'll need a total-immersion experience and a deliberate stretch into another context.

There are a lot of bizarre Americanisms that I've heard which make no sense to me....and yet the rest of the world is steeped in American culture through its media. If you're genuinely interested, go looking for the reasons why the culture works as it does and you'll be closer to understanding it....

Fruitbat

Spelling

Post 318

Fruitbat (Eric the)

This is similar to the problem Tolkein wrote about when talking about 'dwarfs' and dwarves'. If I remember well, he said that 'dwarves' is how the word's pronounced and he was going to use 'dwarfs' to eliminate confusion.....

but since people invariably make up their own rules for using language (just as they do with the rules of the road), this probably will be a moot point anyway.

Fruitbat

Spelling of Roof(ve)s

Post 319

Maolmuire

'Roofs' is correct. Never seen 'rooves' used anywhere.

Spelling of Roof(ve)s - rubbish

Post 320

Trillian's child

The way I learned (at great pain) to spell the plural of roof, dwarf, hoof, calf, etc was ALWAYS with a VES. We never had any choice and I always thought people spelling FS just didn't know any better. Like people spelling judgment with an "e" in the middle.

When was the rule changed to "hoofs, dwarfs, etc". Or, as Tolkien was writing in the 30's, when was it changed to VES?

Key: Complain about this post