A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Name 5 intellegent SF films you have seen

Post 101

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Andre Norton wrote the Witchworld series didn't she?
I loved those smiley - smiley

Post 102

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

A recent SF film that instantly went into my list on this was "Moon" by Duncan Jones (aka Zowie Bowie).

His new film "Source Code" is out today I made me want to resurrect this thread in anticipation!

FB

Post 103

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Ooh, is that by the guy who did 'Moon'? I heard good things about it, but I've not seen it yet. I'll probably grab it on DVD eventually.
I've not really heard anything about 'Source Code' until today, when it was being advertised on IMDb. Might investigate further.
Also, epic thread revival. Edging on towards 7 years since the last post!

Post 104

Moon was my undisputed film of the year when it came out (2009?). Was fabulous.

FB

Post 105

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I probably did answer the title question, but I can't be bothered to read through the novel-length backlog, and besides, it's probably out of date now. So, in no particular order:

Ghost in the Shell
Children of Men
Sunshine
The Andromeda Strain
Gattaca

Post 106

You were actually the second post! smiley - bigeyes

FB

Post 107

Interesting that GitS was the only one on both lists.

Name 5 intelligent SF films you have seen

Post 108

Alfster

Moon (watch it but do not under any circumstances read anything about it...just watch it)
13th Floor
Silent Running
Inception
Dark City

Post 109

Orcus

I have a spare night tonight on me tod - I might just give this Moon a go - it seems to be getting some good reviews here smiley - ok

Post 110

Sho - employed again!

I watched Sunshine for two reasons. Mark Strong and I read somewhere that the science advisor was Prof Briansmiley - droolCox and I therefore thought it might be intelligent.

I'm sure most of the science is sound (he did mention that they had to have Booms and Bangs and Fire for the explosions in space or else the film looks mad and he was ok with that) but as for the rest of it... I can't say it impressed me at all.

Off to check out Moon now.

Post 111

Alfster

smiley - applause to FB for resurrecting this thread.

Does 'GroundHog Day' count? A certain internal logic in its premise and a moralistic thread to it.

Post 112

Talking of Groundhog Day form the films thread:-

"Source Code.

Fantastic, clever, quick paced, interesting film. Not as cerebral as "Moon" Jones' debut picture, very different sort of sci fi film but stands comparison in terms of quality. A testement to the post "Inception" world where oyu can have smart popcorn films again all of a sudden.

I look forward to Mr Jones' next film with interest.

FB"

There is a time loop thematic simlarity between the two films (though nothing else is similar it must be said!).

FB

Post 113

Orcus

Moon - pretty good, did enjoy it. Not sure of its originality though - very much a synthesis of 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Demon Seed (which has recieved no mention yet I believe so....)

I also nominate The Demon Seed. smiley - smiley

Post 114

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Wow! I'd forgotten this thread..

Trouble is there haven't been many 'intelligent' SF films released since 2004.Lot's of blockbusters but not what I'd call intelligent.

I think Gattaca would still be top of my list.

To be honest I'm not reading as much SF these days as it has all become so derivative and formulaic.

I would love to see Perdido Station turned into a film if it could be done well.Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't do SF well.smiley - sadface

Post 115

You know I think most of his Sci Fi stuff would be basically unfilmable because of the way it deals with ideas.

But I recently re-read "Inversions" by Iain M Banks. Because of the way it was set not really in the culture, but with a backdrop of how the culture interferes it oculd make the basis of an interesting film that would give comment on a lot of world affairs right not.

FB

Post 116

Orcus

Watched Moon again yesterday, this time with the Missus - gets a much bigger smiley - oksmiley - oksmiley - ok this time. Much more impressed the second time around and so I guess that's not a bad sign smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more