A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Camping in Rural Scotland

Post 1

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

My girlfriend and I are planning spending 1 night in a tent somwhere NorthWest highlands area, next weekend. She's been camping a few times before, but i haven't, i'm ashamed to saysmiley - sadface

Now i'm looking for advice on how to find the best/safest places to set up tent. We do not, repeat, DO NOTsmiley - winkeye want to stay in a designated campsite. The very idea of sharing a patch of ground with loads of noisy, drunk strangers fills me with horror. May as well set up camp in someones back garden or a beer garden in my opinion...

No, we're looking for somewhere as desolate as possible, but flat enough that we can park reasonably nearby. I've already considered the perils of camping in a field - as empty as it may look in the evening, by sunrise we could have a heard of cows and an angry farmer to contend withsmiley - erm

So can anyone suggest some do's and don'ts? Is woodland a better idea? Is there any way to tell if a field is being used or not (aside form obvious things like crops growing...)?

All comments would be gratefully recieved smiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

Post 2

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Are there any stone circles nearby? In my many years of camping 'unofficially', I have often found that open spaced stone circles (and some on private, farmers land) do not attract anything (other than the occasional sheep or severalsmiley - smiley)

I've camped overnight at, amongst other places, West Kennet Longbarrow (creepy), a farmer's (small, fallow) field in Wroughton (although the second time in four nights he did let his bull on the field for the early morning smiley - smiley), Arbor Low, Nine Ladies etc

Post 3

invincibledriver

'allo winnoch!

Shame on you! camping has to be one of the best things i ever did when i was younger, and still is( though current lady just wouldnt ever...smiley - sadface)

South-side of Loch Awe is good... i'd always recommend being beside a loch, with some trees nearby.... the water makes all the difference, believe me.... and it a good idea to be a wee walk away from a pub toosmiley - winkeye

Glen Etive is a good bet as well, beautiful at night, wee camp fire and a bottle of wine, sortedsmiley - smiley

don't forget to take some loo-roll, and general etiquite is to dig a hole to do it in...smiley - winkeye

have fun!

ooh... take a nice camenbert and some tinfoil..... campfire cooking at its best!

Post 4

OK, That's all good - place suggestions appreciatedsmiley - smiley. But what i really want to know is once you've found the approximate area you want to stay in, how do you choose yer piece of land that you want to pitch the tent onsmiley - bigeyes. Does anyone have any general tips on what to avoid and which types of location are most trouble -free (with regard to livestock, farmers, traktors, etc...)

Post 5

invincibledriver

well, its really just common sense..... nice firm grassy bit (that you can still get a peg intosmiley - winkeye)... generally, i'd stay away from farmland.... you can always ask the farmer if its ok, but you'll probably find it nicer to be beside a loch, away from civilisation anyway...., and again, on the shore of a nice loch is generally a good place not to get in the way of tractors etc.....

Post 6

invincibledriver

if you like, i can email you a map later on that'll show you a couple spots i've camped at several times on the lochs i mentioned earlier..... beautiful spots.... peaceful, an hour or so walk to pub in middle of nowhere, off road parking etc etc......just what i think you would want...smiley - smiley

Post 7

Quite obvious when you think about it ehsmiley - winkeye Funnily enough I thought of fields, woodland and moorland, but totally missed the rather obvious shores of a loch! I think this is really the answer i was looking for so thanks! smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Beatrice

Then next year will you be camping in Urban Scotland?

Post 9

No but we might venture in your direction, so watch out, and find us a nice spot in your garden!

Post 10

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Near trees, but not under tress due to falling branches!
Also not in an old water cours or where water is likely to flood down if raining would be sensible.
Certainly avoid farm land without permission.
Scotland can have some fearsome midges I understand in places so a bit of repelant would be in order.
Don't light open fires if possible due to fire risk, and take pleany of bottles of water to drink, it is surprising how much you can get through.
A foam underlay for under sleeping bag is essential if you want a good nights comfortable sleep.

Post 11

invincibledriver

i'd agree with most of strangelystrange..... midges shouldnt be too much of a problem at this time of year... but i'd disagree about the fires bit...camping isn't camping without one.. just do it sensibly.... stones around it etc, no overhanging branches, remember it's a campfire, not a bonfire, and they're good for keeping midges away too(add some dampstuff to get some smoke - voila!smiley - winkeye)

if you feel like it, and might want to do more camping, forget the repellant, either some get fresh mint leaves, or buy a head-netsmiley - winkeye

Post 12

Ooh the map would be goodsmiley - bigeyes

Send it please to abmscopesvirginnet. Cheerssmiley - ok

Post 13

invincibledriver

no worries..... i'll do it when i get homesmiley - winkeye

Post 14

invincibledriver

infact, done.smiley - winkeye

Post 15

Excellent, thanks! smiley - ok I think we'll stay in either of these places. Will discuss it with my partner in crime.

I think it's a very good idea to stay somewhere based on a personal recommendation, especially when we're only away for a weekend and don't want to spend hours and hours searching for somewhere. These spots are tried and tested, and whilst i acknowledge that there are no guarantees when you don't have 4 solid walls around you, i wont blame you if a motor-bike comes crashing out of the loch into our tentsmiley - winkeye

Thanks again and if you're at the meet on the 7th we'll be able to tell you all about it in person.

Post 16

...er, motor-boat, that should read smiley - blush

Post 17

alexk3

Drive to the darkness. Walk far away from the road. Pitch a tent and set up the essentials for the night and the next day. Of course, don't forget to look at the stars smiley - smiley

Post 18

Beatrice

You may pitch in our garden if you like! Alternatively we do have a spare bed...

Have fun. My own camping tip is to take earplugs and a close fitting wee hat smiley - brr

Post 19

Oh, don't worry AlexK2, looking at the stars is very high on our list of priorities! Mind you, we'll only be there one night and this being Scotland the chances of that one night being clear are fairly slim. I usually get at least one clear night when i'm up north for a few days or a week, but one night might be pushing our luck a bit! If we do however get a break in the clouds, even for a few minutes, we'll be extremely gratefulsmiley - magic

Post 20

I'm not really here

There's some good info on this page: http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/leaflets/wildcamp.html

But rather you than me! I like knowing I've got a loo nearby. smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more