A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 1

Nurgling

I have a comparatively simple question which will take around ten seconds to answer.

A car has a windscreen or windshield. This is self-explanatory, since the aforementioned slice of glass allows the wind to flow over the top of the driver and passenger(s), whilst retaining the ability to see where the vehicle is heading. A similar intention is displayed with the plexiglass windshields on motorcycles.

Now, imagine the space shuttle. It has a 'windscreen' through which the pilots can observe the flight. When out in space, however, it makes no sense to call it a windscreen/shield, since there is no wind. Now imagine a spacecraft that rarely sees an atmosphere except to make short stops for refuelling and whatnot. It also has a see-through window at the front through which the pilots can observe Space going past, and track the movements of space dogfighters or what-have-you.

The question is, what do you call such a window on a spacecraft? Given that 'windscreen' makes no sense, what can you call it?
Cockpit window?
Space-shield?
Meteor-shield?
Visor port?
Spacewind-shield?

-- Nurgling smiley - fish

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 2

Anonymouse

I believe they call it a viewscreen. smiley - winkeye

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 3

Wand'rin star

Since it's there for psychological reasons, perhaps we could call it a "madness screen"? (But, alas, I'm sure Anonymouse is right)

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 4

Nurgling

Madness screen just wouldn't fit in context where I am going to use it. Viewscreen is just about right, though I personally like 'view port'.

Thanks for quick replies!

-- Nurgling smiley - fish

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 5

Anonymouse

Glad to be of assistance.. But don't thank me, thank Gene. smiley - winkeye

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 6

Mustapha

Doesn't solar wind count?

Spaceship Windscreen?

Post 7

Barely Awake

One of my old tutors helped to develop the transparent material the orbiter's windows are made from at the University of Sheffield, England (or so he claimed, anyway).

He always called them 'windows, portholes and windscreen', depending on the size of the hole/opening/portal/transparent thingy you can see out of in question.

Sorry about the iffy language - I keep wanting to put 'the side windows were called windows, the small round windows were small windows and the other big window at the front was the big window at the front or the windscreen'.

The "no wind in space" bit is OK for "in space" but I'm assured there's a hell of a lot of it on the way up or down!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more