A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Settle my bet...Nudity is involved

Post 1

Siguy

Okay, there is no nudity I really wanted someone to reply to this. Is douglas adams writing any more books that I can expect to see out some time soon?

Or if you don't like that question answer this one:

Does anyone know where I can buy the old mac game life & death or find the beeper codes for it? (if you know the game you should now what beeper codes were)

Or if you want a different question (last one):

In Rome each person had three names, like Julius Gauis Caesar.
I know The first name is just a name but arent the other two something like the father's name and the family name? If you know also give me the order they go in.

Post 2

Chrome

As far as I can remember, one of the names is like a nickname, but this often follows down the family line. I'm sure that Gaius means 'full head of hair', but I will check. Obviously Caesar is the equivalent of a surname, Augustus Caesar etc..

Post 3

Siguy

thanks for trying to answer, it seems like unless I ask about monkeys no one answers.

Post 4

Superkath

Cæsar meens emperor.

Post 5

The Traveller

This is true... Caesar is a title, like Senator or Esquire.

Post 6

manolan

But it wasn't a title when old Julius was around. It was Augustus who started that trend (or maybe Tiberius, or maybe someone even later since Augustus - Octavian, in fact, Augustus was actually a title! - was legally adopted by Julius). And then again, wasn't Tiberius adopted by Augustus? So, when did it stop being a name and start being a title?

Post 7

Siguy

Well, Augustus/Octavian/Princeps used Caesar's name but that was because of his adoption by Caesar. I don't know for sure but I think that it became a title when Diocletion set-up the tetrarchy like a million years later. He set up the system with 2 leaders. One ruled the east and the other the west and each was given the title of Augustus (or Augusti). Then each had one assistant to help them rule (which makes sense because tetrarchy means ruled by four) and those assistants held the title of Caesar (or Caesars). So I am not sure whether that was the first time it was used as a title in government but it's worth noting. Nice to see a discussion about something I might consider educational though.

Post 8

EtherZev

After dredging through what passes for my memory, and trawling the forgotten sections of a minute home library I think this is the way it went:-

Princeps Senatus was the title conferred on the Senior Senator or to-day's equivalent - Leader of the House.

Roman names went like this:-
Praenomen(First Name) Nomen (Family name indicating the Gens)
Cognomen (last or distinguishing name)

The Nomen or Gens was more a clan name, and confusingly all the First names of women was the Family name. That is all named Julia, or Gracchia (Gens Gracchus). Even though they adopted diminutive or pet names to distinguish sisters, from daughters, from mothers etc. It
is terribly confusing trying to sort out who's who in the Roman zoo.

The cognomen can be worse. This was often a distiguishing name to avoid the confusion referred to above. It could be a physical difference such as Silanus (ugly puggy face) or Numidicus (successful military service in Numidia). Only Romans were permitted the cognomen. Names consisting of the praenomen and nomen only were either Latins or other non Roman people who were granted citizenship.

The Name Caesar( which does mean "born with a fine head of hair")
was no so much used by Octavian as became his name when he was adopted by Caesar. This change of name upon adoption was a common Roman custom, and frequently used to gain a male heir. The clan relations would therefore not be so much direct blood connections (apart from the rampant intermarriages that occurred) as they were political and personal affiliations.

Sorry to rabbit on so much, but one thing always leads to the "I forgot to mention" bit. Hopes this helps.

Post 9

Nurgling

Is it just me, or does the word 'Czar', or 'Tsar' kind of resemble 'Caesar'?

-- Nurgling smiley - hsif

Post 10

Bald Bloke

Yes and the German, Kaiser.
They all developed from the same source

Post 11

Siguy

Thanks Zev for giving that answer. Not it makes sense to me why after the 2nd Punic war Publius Scipio's name became Publius Scipio Africanus. The last part was mentioning his achievements against carthage in Africa. I previously had assumed it was just a nick name but I guess this shows other wise. Since this seems answered feel free to guess about the other two Q's at the top. I doubt anyone knows anything about them though.

Post 12

EtherZev

I can manage Roman history better than Mac's. Would have been back sooner but a failed fan is sudden death to computers in the tropics, especially in the Wet.

A bit more information on things Roman.

Diocletian, and his successors were referred to as the "dominate" whereas Augustus as his successors were named "principate".

In 293 Diocletian took the title of "Augustus" (Sacred) and made a decision to share the administration with Maximian. The Empire however remained an undivided inheritance. He also added two more colleagues: Galerius and Constantius 1 Chlorus. The latter two were given the title "Caesar"(this was were the title was created) and attached to an Augustus, Constantius to Maximian and Galerius to Diocletian.

None of these men were of noble birth. By conferring titles with older provenance Diocletian paved the way for his later deification.

There are several University sites with excellent public access to Roman history and culture.
I can post them if you like?

Post 13

Siguy

I do believe I mentioned Diocletian and the title system earlier in the conversation but thanks for the added details.

Post 14

E'dalethni II

He is currently (I hope) working onthe movie, and he may then produce more books after that.

At least that was the impression about a year ago when I hung around the alt.fan.douglas-adams newsgroup. They are still there, and their MFAQ might have a more difinitive answer.

Post 15

Peta

You've got it about right E'dalethni II - he's doing the movie screenplay first and then will consider doing some more books. So we might have a while to wait before we get to read them....

Post 16

Siguy

wow, my little section warranted the attention of the all powerful PETA. A little odd that such an illustrious member of our h2g2 would click on a link that said "nudity is involved"
Which reminds me, in the off chance that PETA replies, PETA must not have been joking about the site on the front page being so coveted. The link to the Gam Room Storytellers was replacd pretty quickly.

Key: Complain about this post