A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Christmas Dinner

Post 41

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I agree with you there, we've never been one for tradition or the Queen's Speech

Christmas Dinner

Post 42

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Think I'll add my voice to the turkey critics. Its just rubbish. My favourite would be the goose or duck, because their fat makes such beautiful crispy potatoes.

Speaking of which, in that Graniaud link it says to turn up your potatoes after the meat is out to make them crispy - I though they had to be hot at the start? I've been mucking around with trying to coat them in smoking hot fat as quickly as possible then straight in the oven, was it unnecessary?

Christmas Dinner

Post 43

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I always do it,

parboil the spuds first, give them a little shake in the pan to 'Fluff' them up then put them in the hot fat and turn them to cover all sides in fat.

Christmas Dinner

Post 44

Deb

My mum (and now I've followed the tradition) always cooks the meat (always turkey and usually pork as well) the day before. We carve what we think we'll need and it gets put in a pyrex dish and covered in gravy, then lid on and into the oven when we sit down for a starter. It's usually perfect. All the veg & potatoes are prepared the day before, as is the marie rose sauce for the prawns (we always have prawn cocktail to start, with tomato soup for the non-prawn eaters and a hard-boiled egg with marie rose sauce for my brother who's just awkward!) Basically everything possible is done the day before so as to minimise hassle and maximise enjoyment of the day.

I've never seen the Queen's speech. Another of my mum's traditions is no TV on Christmas day. And I'm happy to uphold that one - we play games, we chat, we drink, we generally have a laugh and a nice time.

Despite all that, I do think Christmas day is the thing to get through in order to win the prize - a lazy day at home on Boxing day, cold turkey, mashed potatoes, branston pickle and a bit of salad eaten on the sofa in front of the telly, watching film after film. I love Boxing day, it's my favourite day of the year. smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Christmas Dinner

Post 45

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

No TV on Christmas Day, no turkey,
....faint, thud!!

Christmas Dinner

Post 46

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

My mother has steak in the freezer. After dinner my parents will probably watch the Queen's insincerity, I'll probably be in the kitchen watching Channel 4 for a minute or so until the numbskull giving the alternative speech gets too much, then I'll probably join the folks.

Last Christmas I found out I'm quarter Scot. I wonder what news this year will bring?

Christmas Dinner

Post 47

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

My mum always cooks her turkey on christmas eve - it is a tradition in our house to try to catch my dad in the act of stealing some of the meat off one of the legs - he does this some time after he gets home from the pub. He is good at somehow evading the notice of a houseful of people keeping an eye out for him!

I like turkey, and have it most weeks - it is fine if you manage to avoid drying it out.

Did I ever tell you about our christmas day drill when it is our turn to feed the starving hoardes? J, bless his IT Project Manager heart, developed the christmas dinner Gaant Chart. It has the meat and about fifty vegetables on it,along with decorating stuff, organising plates and extra chairs and all the other fiddly bits you have to do when your household quadruples. It has tasks for 'front-of-house' meet and greet, and things like 'ensure J has a drink'. We stick it up n the fridge every year, having amended it when it turns out that it takes longer to peel chestnuts than we thought, and now we've got the super tower for steaming a gazillion vegetables at once that is all muchquicker. We ignore about half of it, and use the rest. It works - we aim for dinner at about 2.30 and usually are within 30 minutes of that. Will have to amend it after the baby comes though!

My favourite meals of the entire year are the ones you have on boxing day and for a couple of days after which are mainly cold meats an pickles, with nice boiled potato and salads.

And turkey, pringles, and sour cream and chive dip sandwiches smiley - winkeye

Christmas Dinner

Post 48

Emee, out from under the rock

For the last couple of years we've smoked our turkey on a grill. It only takes three hours max so no one has to get up at an unreasonable hour.

Christmas Dinner

Post 49

Moving On

I reckon, that as I cook every day, a minimum of 2 meals day I am entitled to *not to cook atall at least one day of the year.

Christmas is the Day of no kitchen activity whatsoever - unless, of course, someone else volunteers to cook for me, in which case, feel free.

So I buy in all our favourite dishes of Take Away Chinese and Indian Meals and we have a nice mix up of a Bit of Everything. And copious amounts of alcohol and chocolate-y stuff.

Plus... there's little to no washing upsmiley - evilgrin

(Not that *that would get done on Christmas Day, eithersmiley - tongueout

One Domestic Free day of inactivity isn't too much to ask for.... is it?smiley - erm

Christmas Dinner

Post 50

Deb

Whoever cooks gets out of the washing up in our combined households. This means me and my mum never have to wash up (no matter whose house we're at, we both end up in the kitchen!) but everyone else has to chip in. One washer and 6 driers-up = a chaotic but fun time. smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Christmas Dinner

Post 51

Spankmunki: The Answer is Lemons. Next break in the current workload due mid-December.

>Last Christmas I found out I'm quarter Scot. I wonder what news this year will bring?<

Well I hope it's good news this year.

Christmas Dinner

Post 52

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

My mum (and now I've followed the tradition) always cooks the meat (always turkey and usually pork as well) the day before. We carve what we think we'll need and it gets put in a pyrex dish and covered in gravy, then lid on and into the oven when we sit down for a starter. 'It's usually perfect. All the veg & potatoes are prepared the day before, as is the marie rose sauce for the prawns (we always have prawn cocktail to start, with tomato soup for the non-prawn eaters and a hard-boiled egg with marie rose sauce for my brother who's just awkward!) Basically everything possible is done the day before so as to minimise hassle and maximise enjoyment of the day.

I've never seen the Queen's speech. Another of my mum's traditions is no TV on Christmas day. And I'm happy to uphold that one - we play games, we chat, we drink, we generally have a laugh and a nice time.

Despite all that, I do think Christmas day is the thing to get through in order to win the prize - a lazy day at home on Boxing day, cold turkey, mashed potatoes, branston pickle and a bit of salad eaten on the sofa in front of the telly, watching film after film. I love Boxing day, it's my favourite day of the year.'

Like minds think alike..I hate Crimbo day because it's too much hard work for a very small return.It should be a day for family but as stress free as possible.

I love Boxing day the most for exactly the same reasons as you. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post