A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Corporatespeak

Post 1

Woodpigeon

Here are two beauts from a performance appraisal I have to fill out.

"Proactively identifies issues and uses fact based analysis in developing long lasting solutions"

"Leverages resources to deliver cost effective solutions to new business issues"

smiley - headhurts

Can anybody find better than this?

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

Corporatespeak

Post 2

The Groob

Before I'd heard of corporatespeak I used to call this 'fake business talk'. Especailly when you see two business types walking down the street having loud conversations along the lines of

"We must extrapolate the expenditure of the head office rationale and get down to some serious thinking outside the box" as if they want everyone to hear them and conclude "oooh you're important".

With me it's "ooooh you've got a small nob".

Corporatespeak

Post 3

pdante'

my analysis is usually done by shooting fish in a barrel ,so it's good to see someone's taking it seriouslysmiley - biggrinOh Boy !?smiley - smiley

Corporatespeak

Post 4

Mu Beta

You'll never be taken seriously unless you put the word 'paradigm' in there, you know. smiley - winkeye

B

Corporatespeak

Post 5

The Groob

I read somewhere that 'paradigm' is one of the most missused words.

Corporatespeak

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

A friend was in a meeting at the university he works at, and it was a 'team meeting' or something.... The head boss guy was talking about something.... And said something like what has been said here, it might have been 'need to task up' or something, I'm not sure. At which point my friend left, saying something along the lines of he didn't want to sit in a meeting with seeming inteligent people if they can't be bothered to use a recognized form of English. smiley - erm Don't think my friends promotion prospects are too good smiley - erm

Corporatespeak

Post 7

The Groob

"let's touch base" was one of my former boss's faves.

Corporatespeak

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

aarrghhhh!
If I hear the P-word one more time I'll...I'll...

smiley - run

Corporatespeak

Post 9

Researcher 538645

Ah I had always thought of that as manager speak as they're the only plonkers I see using it.

Corporatespeak

Post 10

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

I love the clothes they wear. Ever noticed the littles clues.
Dirty shoes. Semen stains etc.

Corporatespeak

Post 11

Teuchter

I'm due for my Performance Contract Review any day now and wish I'd brought home the forms so I could share some of the complete and utter mince with you.
I regard myself as being reasonably intelligent but this load of 'corporate-speak' is almost incomprehensible to me.
Watch this space and I'll give you some examples later............

Corporatespeak

Post 12

The Groob

It's said 'people are basically the same' but I reckon there is definitely a breed of people who are on a completley different wavelength (planet) to the rest of us.

And is it just me or do they not 'get' irony?

Corporatespeak

Post 13

FiedlersFizzle

Thankfully, corporate-speak is not in major use at my organisation (one of the country's older unversities so it's a bit antiquated...) although attempts are being made.

Recently there was a meeting of 'key-enablers' to discuss the 'emerging capability development' of the 'functional cross-regional talent base'.

Fortunately, I wasn't there....

Corporatespeak

Post 14

FiedlersFizzle

Of course, you could always try this...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/11/inktomi88004.php

smiley - smiley

Corporatespeak

Post 15

Researcher 538645

I may or may not be having a review soon. If so I will share some of the manager speak if it hasn't already come up by then.

Corporatespeak

Post 16

A Super Furry Animal

OK, just as long as you're proactive about it.

Many moons ago, there was a game called "Meeting Bingo", whereby everyone in a meeting would print out a card before the meeting began, with random buzzwords and phrases in the boxes. The first person to complete a line (either by someone saying the phrase, or using it themselves to help the game along) then shouted out "Bingo!" and was declared the winner.

Never actually saw it carried out IRL, though.

An example can be found here: http://www.tysknews.com/LiteStuff/bingo.htm

Corporatespeak

Post 17

A Super Furry Animal

I really should have read the link in post 14 first, shouldn't I?

I'll get me coat.

Corporatespeak

Post 18

Researcher 538645

To read anymore than a summary would be outside the spirit of this thread.

Corporatespeak

Post 19

A Super Furry Animal

I trsut you mean "executive summary"?

Corporatespeak

Post 20

A Super Furry Animal

...and, of course, never spell check before posting...

"trsut" means "trust", obviously...

...unless I was "spelling outside the box"

Key: Complain about this post