A Conversation for Ask h2g2

americans- sane or insane

Post 21

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Any country that would pass laws that schedule a national holiday for the last Thursday of every October, effectively creating a statuatory four-day weekend every year, can't be called crazy. Like a fox maybe.

~jwf~

Post 22

jimjensen

hhahahahhah

Post 23

JD

So you're saying if we moved Thanksgiving holiday to October we would be sane? smiley - winkeye

- JD

Post 24

E G Mel

Well the same goes for all our bank holiday Mondays creating 3 day weekends. smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 25

hellboundforjoy

You mean November, right?

Post 26

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

The problem inherent in the original question lies in the insularity required to ask it in the first place, which precludes the creation of continuum on which we can categorize ourselves. In other words, we obviously don't know much about each other - how then am I to know if I'm crazy in comparison to you good people?

I'd still wager that I'm a loon smiley - silly, just in case your tallying results smiley - winkeye

Post 27

E G Mel

Ah but do we appear sane to the Americans?! smiley - winkeye Probably not, especially after BSE smiley - silly

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 28

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

See I don't know - all the Britons I've interacted with are either crazy and really mean, or crazy and completely lovely. Insanity seems par for the course in any case smiley - winkeye.

Post 29

E G Mel

I'm intrigued! Crazy in what way?

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 30

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> You mean November, right? <<

I did indeed mean November. The slip is the result of years of Canadian indoctrination. Thanksgiving is celebrated here as the second Monday in October, a month and a half earlier than the Yanks.

This day was set aside by an act of Parliament about 125 years ago (during the later reign of Queen Victoria) to give thanks to the lord for the safe recovery of the Prince of Wales who had taken sick while living here in Halifax. It was probably just someone he ate. Or drank.
Someone named Alice as the story goes.

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 31

badger party tony party green party

We (the english) invent and play a sport that is plyed on grass in copmletely white outfits. We play "test" matches that end up with a draw so we have'nt found out who is better in said "test" match even though one game lasts five days.

Now if thats not as mad as fish on a bike I dont know what is.

Post 32

Mauritania

The fact when it starts to rain, we call it off or the fact when we almost winning the football worldcup is far more important than winning the Rugby world cup!

Post 33

badger party tony party green party

When the captain of the national football teams underwear gets more column inches than his football boots.

Post 34

Mauritania

Well to be far to Lord Beckham, he wears his shoes far less than his underwear. What exactly did he get on OBE for anyway, travelling abroad?

Post 35

Mauritania

Sorry about the pun!

Post 36

E G Mel

As much as I hate the amount of publicity he gets I think the OBE was deserved, not only is he a good international ambassador for our country's sports but also he encourages young children to get out and be active rather than sitting on the computer all day.

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 37

Mauritania

Yeah but how many times have you been abraoad and never been aprechiated for it!

Post 38

E G Mel

Well I don't tend to get in foriegn press or meet high up officials for lunch etc when I'm abroad smiley - smiley

Why do you, and if so what did you do?!! smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 39

jimjensen

made me laugh smiley - smiley

Post 40

Moondawg

smiley - planetsmiley - dog

I hear they'll be renaming it Beckhamham Palace next.
That'll put a little Ol' Spice in the tabloids, wot!

How-oo-oo-oo!

Key: Complain about this post