A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Firemen and their Uniforms

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Question! Can anyone explain why Firemen around the world have different uniforms. My assumption would be that if they are all doing the same job, ie: tackling fires, and their uniform is designed to save their lives, then all the uniforms should be the same!!!
The American helmet seems to have retained the same style they had 150 years ago when it was made from leather. Continental pompiers have shiny silver-like helmets and we have motorcycle style helmets. The uniforms also vary. Americans seem to wear a glorified Donkey jacket, while our guys wear "overalls".
Would it not be sensible to pool the ideas and crate a universal uniform that takes the best of all of them. The same principal applies to ambulances and fire-engines. Can anyone shed any light, or am I missing the point!!!
smiley - erm
smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

Whisky

I don't suppose it really matters what the uniform looks like as long as it does the job, i.e. is fireproof.

You should see what Royal Navy firefighting teams wear... giant babygrows smiley - yikes

Post 3

Is that because of all the water? If they are marines do they have waterwings as well?
smiley - musicalnote

Post 4

Whisky

smiley - yikes Let a royal marine anywhere near anything as technically complicated as a fire extinguisher? You've got to be joking!

Nope, in reality they wear a set of overalls in a very thick, cottonlike, fire-proof material, it's just the overall effect looks a little like a baby's set of pyjamas (a little more fireproof though - one of the things they do to you to prove that the stuff is fireproof is to put one of the gloves on you then attack your hand with a blow torch!)

Post 5

Sounds nasty. My cousin trained as an RAF fireman at Manston Kent, and his uniform was more spacesuit-like than a .... space-suit smiley - huh. It kept him alive although well-basted. It seems to me that there must be a definitive helmet, gloves, boots, etc. Must be wrong. Look at those poor sods at grand-prix!!!! smiley - puff
smiley - musicalnote

Post 6

Whisky

Not sure about the gloves... I seem to remember that certain fire brigades in the UK didn't wear gloves (this is going back about 10 years though)... working on the principle that if it's that hot that you're burning your hands then you should be thinking about getting the heck out of the way!

Post 7

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
i agree with you mazin that its... odd
there has GOT to be the ultimate most effective and efficient way to protect
an active human body that is fighting fire...
so why doesnt the entire human race adopt it!!

maybe some differences where folks live in differnt sorts of places... like huts maybe?

but your question reminds me of mine own opinion and query
about the world in general

like... theres gotta be some tried and true ways to educate
or run a city

why dont we find those things that work for others
and adopt them!

isnt it about time the human race grew up?
and adopted the most effective and efficient ways to do basic stuff
so we could just get on with
having a good time being alive?

i thank you

(jumps down off of soapbox)

Key: Complain about this post