A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Poppies

Post 1

Andy

With remembrance day coming up, do you think that the Poppy, as a symbol, has become devauled? Is it now just a badge of sincerity for politicians and TV presenters, or does it still mean something?

Poppies

Post 2

Slartibardfast

I see your point. When I was at school(I'm 20)teachers used to say things like "ask you're grandparents what they did in the war" but nowadays it doesnt have much relevance to kids. Although its not their fault, they cant understand the importance of an event which to them might as well have happened two hundred years ago. And yes, bloody politicians will be wearing poppies all week and I wonder how many of them stop to consider its importance.

Poppies

Post 3

mics

I see Poppies as having a military conotation, and that in wearing a poppy you are agreeing with the use of force.

Besides, charity allows goverments off the hook for their responsiblities to their subjects or citizens.

Mic

Poppies

Post 4

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

'in wearing a poppy you are agreeing with the use of force. '

Wearing a poppy is not praising the military, but reminding us of the outcome (tragedy) of the use of force. It was instigated so that people would remember those who - regardless of their own desires - fought and died in order to preserve some semblance of humanity.

The danger here is that suceeding generations will forget the outcome of the the use of force, and by wearing the poppy you are saying 'Yes, I remember, and will do my utmost not to let it happen again'. You are also paying respect to those who died in order to preserve peace, many of those who fought for us were conscripts into the war, and those who weren't willing laid down their lives in preventing the explosion of terrorism that was arising at the time.

As a mark of respect to those, I always wear a poppy at this time. Other may look at it as a pointless exercise, and regardless of the 'shallow pretentions' espoused by many politicians, at least I know in myself why I am wearing it.

Poppies

Post 5

Cheerful Dragon

I also wear a poppy at this time of year, as does my husband. My reasons are that my father was called up towards the end of the Second World War and my grandfather fought in the First World War. My grandfather was German and was gassed by the Allies (or whatever they were called in the First World War) which affected his breathing for the rest of his life. In wearing a poppy I am acknowledging what they did for their respective countries, and the sacrifices made by millions of other people who gave up their lives for what they believed in.

Any one who questions the relevance of poppies or Armistice day should be made to sit through the opening scenes of 'Saving Private Ryan', the most harrowing film footage I have ever seen. Just for once this is not Hollywood making up history. THIS HAPPENED.

Both World Wars were the use of force against a country who believed in the use of force to get what they wanted. I do not agree with the use of force, per se, but if one country gives the impression that it's all they understand and won't respond to diplomacy, the rest of the world doesn't have much choice.

Poppies

Post 6

Cheerful Dragon

I also wear a poppy at this time of year, as does my husband. My reasons are that my father was called up towards the end of the Second World War and my grandfather fought in the First World War. My grandfather was German and was gassed by the Allies (or whatever they were called in the First World War) which affected his breathing for the rest of his life. In wearing a poppy I am acknowledging what they did for their respective countries, and the sacrifices made by millions of other people who gave up their lives for what they believed in.

Any one who questions the relevance of poppies or Armistice day should be made to sit through the opening scenes of 'Saving Private Ryan', the most harrowing film footage I have ever seen. Just for once this is not Hollywood making up history. THIS HAPPENED.

Both World Wars were the use of force against a country who believed in the use of force to get what they wanted. I do not agree with the use of force, per se, but if one country gives the impression that it's all they understand and won't respond to diplomacy, the rest of the world doesn't have much choice.

Poppies

Post 7

Andy

How do you feel about white poppies?

Poppies

Post 8

Cheerful Dragon

Do white poppies have some special significance? In the wild I've seen red, yellow and blue-ish/lilacish poppies, but not white. The traditional colour is red, partly because these were the first flowers to grow back in the Belgian fields where much of the First World War was fought, and partly because of the colour of blood. Other than that, I have no preference unless, as I said, there is some particular significance to poppies of a different colour. In that case, I might change my mind.

Poppies

Post 9

Andy

White poppies are worn by people who say: "yes, I remember those who faught for my freedom, but I don't agree with the concept of war." It's a sort of pacifist take on the whole remebrance thing.

Poppies

Post 10

Cheerful Dragon

I've never seen anybody wearing a white poppy. I have no objection to it or to the sentiments behind it, but wouldn't wear one myself because I'm not really a pacifist. Not in the purest sense of the word, anyway.

Poppies

Post 11

Hoovooloo

It's likely that the last surviving WW2 veteran will be dead within about the next ten years.

At that point, will the significance of the poppy change? Did it change when the last surviving veteran of WW1 died?

Poppies

Post 12

Orcus

Not sure but these things always change with the moods of the time.

In recent years I've sensed a kind of faux moral outrage if people *don't* wear one. At the point it becomes morally unacceptable to wear one, it becomes entirely devalued for me.
I don't need to wear a poppy to remember my grandfather who fought at Arnhem or me great-great uncle who died as a cycle messenger in the trenches of Flanders.

There's a kind of dick-measuring thing that goes with 'commemoration' or 'charity-giving' that rather gets on my nerves these days. A kind of competition, particularly driven by the 'celebs', politicians and tabloid press where there is a rush to see who can out-do the rest.

That's really losing the point of it all to my mind. I rarely wear a poppy, but I will put a coin in the box for the veterans who had no choice but to fight on either side.

Another strange thing about that last war is that we commemorate our own dead, we even. now commemorate German dead... but no-one gives a toss about the 20 odd MILLION Soviet civilians and conscripts who died in WWII (hint British total dead is about 800,000).

Poppies

Post 13

Orcus

Ack - >>At the point it becomes morally unacceptable to NOT wear one<<. is what I meant sorry.

Poppies

Post 14

Teasswill

I wanted to wear a white one last year but didn't have the courage... I usually buy a poppy but don't wear it except on the relveant day.

Poppies

Post 15

bobstafford

That's a tough question, Red to respect all those who never came home or declare you think all war is intolerable.

Whatever you choose someone will disagree with you

Key: Complain about this post