A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why does the sun make you feel sleepy?

Post 1

World Service Memoryshare team

I mean when it's really sunshiny in the garden and you can't help drifting off. I'm sure it's not just to do with being warm - has it got something to do with ozone too?

Any ideas?

Anna smiley - smiley

Post 2

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I know it's not ozone...

-- DoctorMO --

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Perhaps it's that we're often sunbathing in the afternoon, and that coincides with the post-lunch dip smiley - smiley

Post 4

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Maybe it is difficult to keep squinting into the sun, closing your eyes is much more relaxing. And with less sensory input, you just doze awaysmiley - zzz

Post 5

Fished Out

I think it might be something to do with your body trying to cool itself down due to the heat - I read in a magazine that that's why a hot bath before bed helps you to sleep (yeah, I'm a bit of an insomniac) because of the way your body cools itself rapidly. smiley - smiley

Post 6

Laura

Yes, it's a negative feedback system to prevent you from overheating. As during any movement you are producing heat, your body makes you feel sleepy to try and cut movement down and so not make you hotter. smiley - smiley

Post 7

Fished Out

Oooh yeah, because of all the surplus heat from respiration. I think we actually did about this in biology.

Post 8

Laura

A level biology was where I learned about it smiley - smiley.

Post 9

Fished Out

I'm only doing GCSE, though I might take it next year...if I ever actually decide on my options.

Post 10

Laura

I loved it, but that won't help you much. smiley - smiley Took me ages to sort my options, there was far too much I wanted to do.

Post 11

Fished Out

That's what's putting me off, I don't really think I want to be a scientist, but I do enjoy biology a lot (except dissections. Bleeurg.) Likewise psycology, which really interests me, but I don't see being of great use. Then there's stuff like economics, which may be a lot more useful, considering I have no clue what I want to do, but just doesn't sound so inspiring.

I have narrowed the list from 12 to just 7 or 8.

Post 12

Laura

Hmmm. I had no idea what degree I wanted to do when I picked my options. I like both science and art subjects, so picked my favourites from them, to keep all possibilities open. smiley - smiley I guess it depends on what your favourite subjects are.

Post 13

Fished Out

Yeah, I just don't want to limit what I could do.

Post 14

Laura

Such is the problem I had. I eventually settled for geography, biology, history and an AS in maths. An odd mix, but gave me a broad range of degree possibilities. It would have made things difficult had I intended to do a more specific degree though.

Post 15

Fished Out

I'm definatly taking maths (we had to do a careers analysis thing, it took HOURS and almost all the top careers it assigned me had either maths required or very useful, so... Anyway, I don't mind maths exams, even if I don't like lessons.

Definatly history. Cause it's useful...or something, and I like lessons.

French most probably, 'cause I like lessons, and speaking and writing exams.

And something else... Arg.

Post 16

Laura

It's with that last one that you need to decide whether you want to go for science or art in the future. It is certainly the trickiest one.

Post 17

Fished Out

I just want to make it to the summer holiday smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Laura

Well at least it's a nice long one smiley - biggrin

Post 19

Coniraya

I thought it was just the well chilled Chablis making me sleepy smiley - winkeye

Post 20

dasilva

The sun just makes me

Key: Complain about this post