A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Inconsistencies in song lyrics

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

For example, Status Quo's "Roll Over, Lay Down"... If they're not already lying down. how can they roll over?

Other examples?

Post 2

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Idlewild are absolutely terrible for that kind of thing. They go out of their way to contradict themselves. One of their songs has the refrain "I am what I am not"!

Post 3

Geggs

There was one sometime in the early 90's that had the line - "Love is two words, just like sunshine".

I have blotted the rest of the song from my memory. But that line (annoyingly) still sticks in there.

Geggs

Post 4

chosen_one

I heard one song and the chorus went something like this:

"Here comes love, it's like honey. You can't buy it with money."

This seemed kind of strange seen as last time I checked you could buy honey with money.

Post 5

Yelbakk

It's New Order, song is called Crystal. Good one, even if you can by honey with money.

In terms of semantic inconsistencies, I have always been intrigued by Snap's "Rhythm is a dancer"

Is it now?

Y.

Post 6

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

'Carbon' by Tori Amos is not so much inconsistent, as a source of mystification for me. smiley - bigeyes

Post 7

The Groob

There was a song some years ago with the lyric "Faith, hope and charity too, love is the greatest of the three" smiley - huh

Post 8

The Groob

I've always thought the Snap song was supposed to be called "Rhythm is a cancer" but that would've been too controversial (and it sounds 'odd')

Post 9

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

Well, I just remembered that there is a line in the rap for that song in which he says "I'm serious as cancer, when I say rhythm is a dancer." smiley - huh *has really disturbing pictures in her head of little Sartre cancer cells smoking cigarettes* smiley - doh

Key: Complain about this post