A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What problems are young people facing?

Post 1

Sol

OK, a teenage student of mine has this project to do for a competition. He's got to make a little documenmtary film and write a report in English on the topic above. Since I'm a gen-u-ine native speaker, he wants to rope me into the film and interview me (on Britain really), and so I thought I'd canvas opinion.

So: a question for all you young people, parents of young people and other interested bystanders, particularly for the Brits, but international commentary very welcome: What problems are young people facing?

Post 2

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

Maintaining hope for a better future in a highly competative and negative world.
smiley - magic

Post 3

Sol

Highly competitive in what context? Highly negative in what way/s?

Post 4

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

Competative - less jobs, greater qualifications for jobs that once had lesser qualifications, competative in the way fashion dictates both sexual value and socio-economic value...

Negative - terrorism, disarmament, threat of conscritption if we all go to war, loss of safety....

Post 5

The Groob

The biggest problem they are facing is themselves. They are growing up in a blame culture, where it is easier to blame than to take responsibility for yourself.

Post 6

Sol

That's interesting. If I understand you correctly, you consider that there are no real 'outside' problems facing young people today?

Post 7

Sol

Sorryy, that should probably be: 'no significant outside problems'.

Post 8

The Groob

It's a difficult balance, but I believe anyone has the ability to influence problems for the better.

Post 9

Z

Hi!

I don't think that there's less jobs in Britian at the moment, employment is quiet low, I know I'm biased because I'm actually grateful for the fact that I've been able to go to Univesity despite my parents not having enough money to send me..

I think the biggest problem for a lot of people is developing a sense of yourself, discovering what you want to do with your life, and working how to do it!

Post 10

Z

Oohps I meant, unemployment's quiet low! smiley - doh

Post 11

You can call me TC

I wish I could help, and I am sure I probably can, having three teenage sons. I don't live in Britain. But children today have a problem with their parents in that their parents are floundering. Many have given up (my husband is a teacher, - he has to face the results of this)

If something's broken, a new one is bought. If someone fails, there is little support.

The whole of Western society has become a rather self-centred, money-grabbing affair and the values that the kids are experiencing may not be what their parents preach, but they are what they practise. (e.g. An adult will probably create hell if he doesn't get good service in a shop or something, even though this is unjustified, instead of weighing up the pros and cons and settling the greivance in a civilised way)

This is all very general so far, but it's a huge subject.

Here's a theory: In Britain and in many other European countries, too, the influence of American TV series is very great. This leads to identity crises. Having brought my children up with two cultures I (hope I) know how important it is to have roots in one culture. I encourage them to be fully integrated in the society they were living in.

However, in Germany, for example, they have introduced Halloween. Over the last 5 years it has become a "tradition" - simply copying the ideas from American films and TV shows. Whereas the German traditions are dying out. (Halloween was unknown here before. In fact when some Scottish friends and I had Halloween parties for our kids 15 or so years ago, we were considered crazy by the German mothers)

This must lead to some kind of insecurity, this mutation of culture - the parents just go along with it, and feel deceived themselves - childhood isn't what it used to be - it's a re-enacting of what's on telly.

Post 12

Xanatic

We can't find any nice, friendly girls!

Post 13

Researcher U197087

Fitting the bill. (what the bill is, and how to fit it, is anyone's guess)

Post 14

Saturnine

war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war

Unemployment
Depression
Low self-esteem
A shallow, quick fix, "blame" culture where the stupid are praised and money aids the trip a lot more than hard work does.
Growing violence in society.

smiley - erm

Post 15

Teasswill

Off the cuff -

Deciding what to do with their lives (further education, employment)
Getting the employment of their choice in a location of their choice (too much competition, areas of high unemployment)
Housing (too expensive for first time buyers)
Debt (student loans, credit cards too easily available)
High expectations of standard of living (must have new, now)

Post 16

Saturnine

Not to mention the added pressures that Tony Blair causes in education and the job market (and everythiing else)...smiley - tomato

Post 17

Sol

Right, I'll come back to this, thanks everyone so far, but a few quick questions:

How many of these problems are unique to young people today? I mean, I can see that Trillians child's point, for example, would be a new issue, whereas I'd imagine that finding a nice girl is more ageold smiley - smiley

Also, how exactly is the war thing a young person's issue? I mean, other than it affecting society as a whole?

Also by addeded pressures on the education front, are we talking exams? How do young people in Britain face up to the fact that they are the most examined in Europe?

I'll go and think up some more questions for later smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Sol

Dam, I mean, it's obvious that some of the problems are ageold, so don't worry I don't expect you to have to spell it out. I would bbe interested if the ageold issues have an added spin for today: any comparisons with 'before' welcome!

Post 19

The Groob

Does anyone else get the impression that *something* is going badly wrong in today's world? I've spoken to a number of people about this. I'm not sure if there is a single cause, but as a suggestion perhaps a vocal minority are having too much say in the modern world?

Post 20

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

This was mentioned by Teaswill above - having expectations that are far higher than ever before. This is just some observations of a few 'young people' (I mean school-leavinig, university aged), they seem to think that they should be able to have the best of everything - possibly because put-upon parents have struggled to give them everything.

When they enter the real world and start having to look out for themselves it turns out that they just can't afford the swanky home in the best part of town, or the best car, or the best they seem very disillusioned, or worse feel that something is not 'fair' about their new situation. I have seen some young folk get themselves into serious problems with debt because they think they have to have the best stuff, rather than settling for something more affordable.

Key: Complain about this post