A Conversation for Ask h2g2

where are all the ladybirds?

Post 21

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I know that I used to grow a herb that was good for repelling moths but I can't remember what it was called but it wasn't lavender.I'll take a look in my herb books when I can find them.I think my SO has bunged them up in the loft.Funny how many books I'm missing.

Incog.

Post 22

Coniraya

Plenty of earwigs in my garden, but very few ladybirds. The roses have had very little green or black fly this year and as these are the ladybirds favoured food could it be connected?

Have also had quite a few stag beetles lurking in the grass cuttings.

Post 23

Titania (gone for lunch)

Just south of Stockholm, Sweden: no ladybugs, no earwigs - and I was surprised to see a butterfly last week, and wondered why - realized I haven't seen any butterflies until now!

Would this have anything to do with the weather being so strange?smiley - huh

Post 24

NickyX__Mistress of Procrastination

Not seen any ladybirds but plenty of black and yellow caterpillars in the hills around here and there was a slug in my kitchen last week! *shudders at the memory*

Post 25

You can call me TC

Not wanting to admit ignorance, I looked up the yellow and black caterpillar.

This is a very well set out page but I couldn't recognise a yellow and black caterpillar. Stripes lengthwise or crosswise?

http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/plate9.htm

Perhaps it was the first or the fourth picture on this page:

http://www.bostonuk.com/visitors/flora&fauna/moths.htm

Either way, the yellow and black caterpillar seems to be a moth when it grows up. Did you know that moths are the most poisonous creatures?

Post 26

Mina

I had no idea they were poisonous! Not to humans though?

Post 27

its bright yellow and black stripes around it's body - like really bright like it wants to tell people it's poisonous.

now you've got me curious too.

and what about that slug? it was green with yellow spots does that mean something?

Post 28

I found it! It's number one on this plate: http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/plate29.htm

There are even some in the towns I spotted today.

Still yet to find out about the slug smiley - winkeye

Post 29

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

LOL..I assumed from the title, that this was a forum in search of girlies, and I thought, well he**, does a Nyssabird count? Then of course, I realize you are actually speaking of leetle buggies. Would these be the same as our ladybugs? (little red cuties with spots?..should probably read the backlog more carefully smiley - winkeye...

*hops around like a buggie* you know, come to think of it, I've not seen many either. But then again, I hibernate during the summer.

Post 30

kirriea

i still havent seen either ladybird or earwig and now i come to think of it i havent seen a stag beetle for years either

Post 31

Orcus

Hmmm, had to clear an aphid infestation in my garden this year. Seen plenty of Aphids, ladybirds and indeed earwigs.

In Brum they are still rife at least smiley - ok

Post 32

Kaz

Saw a few ladybirds months ago, but none since. Lots of moths, couple of crickets and the crane flies are begining. Not so many stag beetles outside, but then the local council seems to be actively discouraging them.

Post 33

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Ladybirds are alive and well in Cleethorpes, I even found one on the netting in my new bungalow which I carefully placed on a leaf outside.

I saw a stag beetle when I was pouring a boiling kettlefull on the ants in my drive, but I left it alone, as I don't see that many.
Thesmiley - antsmiley - antare invading!

Also the caterpillars are plentiful, which means more smiley - bluebutterflysmiley - orangebutterflysmiley - bluebutterfly to come. They are the only things I don't mind eating my flowers.

smiley - wow

Post 34

Smiffy the Lab Assistant (1+9)*5-(5+4)+1=42

and why have all the slugs and snails massacred my hostas but left the dandelions to thrive? smiley - wahsmiley - bleepy things... someone needs to tell them to change their eating habits!

Ladybirds were alive and well in South Lincolnshire last week... well they were until number one son started pointing to them. smiley - erm Unfortunately for the ladybirds he can't point without making rather heavy handed contact!

Post 35

Coniraya

Apparently ladybirds will hibernate in the tops of bamboo canes, places upright, in a sheltered corner of the garden.

Next time I'm at the garden centre I shall get some.

Post 36

Kaz

Theres a catalogue which does things like that

[Unsuitable link removed by Moderator]

I intend getting some, when I finally have that garden!

Post 37

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - hug

Can't imagine not having a garden.

smiley - sadface

Post 38

Kaz

so now its unsuitable to include a catalogue which deals in fairtrade stock? Everytime I get back on this site, something happens to p##s me off. Fairtrade should be encouraged.

Post 39

Coniraya

I'll just enter it into Google.

Post 40

Mina

It must have been because it was a commercial site Kaz, does the catalogue have a page that's not commercial that you could link to?

Key: Complain about this post