A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why don't Grocery Stores Alphabetize Soup?

Post 81

gorogoro

Well, I have been known to occasionally season my salad with Windex, or, if I'm feeling saucy, Soft Scrub.

Post 82

CatConan

Like this??? Looks good, doesn't it?? Hugs and kisses if it works smiley - smiley

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=23887&thread=22742

IT WORKS !!! *hugnkiss*

Post 83

Anonymouse

*blush*

No problem, of course! smiley - winkeye

Post 84

Aoibheil 56832

Take this as you will, but I'm sure the maleness on you part is quite lovely smiley - bigeyes.

Post 85

Researcher 97173

Expectations would be too great! For example, Cream of Broccoli could be alphabetized by "Cream of Broccoli", or "Broccoli, Cream of", or "Vegetable Soup, Cream of Broccoli" or "Vegetable Soup, Broccoli, Cream of", or... There could be other categories created for "low salt", "meat free", "animal by-product free"... all adding to the alphabetizing situation. Then you have to consider organizing products by manufacturer...now consider whether to alphabetize by category or by manufacturer. Also, consider the ability of the person who puts the product out on the shelf to categorize by alphabet, or, to make the decision on how to alphbetize the display without putting their job in jeopardy, or what to do when they run out of a stock of a soup selection...leave the space blank (a crime if your the store manager), re-arrange the whole display (considered a waste of time by the afforementioned ogre of a store manager), or, fill in the blanks spots with another type of soup in-stock (ogre now = pussycat).

Considering the above (with its flaws) you're doomed if you want to find an alphabetized soup display.

Now consider the future of a computerized store display listing. Every item can be searched for by name and found in a specific location (not necessarily near a similar item). All you have to consider is the search method (see the alphabet categorizing considerations above for "Cream of Broccoli"). With the appropriate user training (probably a college 101 level course) anybody can find what they want any time they want or know why not!

I'm sure any store would gladly install the necessary hardware and software and supply the necessary training to alow this system to work. Now the ability of the users must be considered...

I guess the soup will never be alphabetized. To find what you want...gaze across the display...ask the stock clerk.

Why is it that an item you desperately want and is in stock is often hidden by extra supplies of the item next to it (fairly common in the soup area).

I hate food shopping anyway.

Post 86

Anonymouse

He was. smiley - winkeye

Post 87

Anonymouse

Very.

Post 88

Aoibheil 56832

Kind of brings us back to the conspiracy theory doesn't it. Except all the stores (hardware, sundries, 5 and 10 (are there anymore of them?), etc) and the hospitals are conspiring together.
Personally, I like a little silver polish on my toast smiley - bigeyes.

Post 89

Aoibheil 56832

Gee, most of the stock clerks I ask don't know either. "It's in the with the soups" or they spend as much time looking for it as I would have.
I'm a programmer, and I cring at the thought of a computerized store. Oh the bugs (only the program kind I'd hope but.....). Now I know my code doesn't have bugs "said with a Cheshire grin" smiley - bigeyes , but would I trust anyone else's? The ony thing I really want computerized is my computer. I can see it now, tap in the words Cream of Broccoli and get pointed to Cream polishing, or Cream dairy. Maybe I'm just too skeptical.

Post 90

Aoibheil 56832

I must have gotten the wrong gene (or jeans?).

Or maybe the media (the tele or movies) has just perpetuated that image (stampeding frustrated females, converging on a sale, doing physical damage to the people next to them to save a dime). Or maybe since I don't like shoping I've just missed it all.

There are good ways to vent frustration without spending money. 1. Throw, as hard as you can, raw eggs at a tree (preferably away from your home and civilization in general). They make a very satisfying splat! 2. Kick an empty cardboard box. You can put holes in it, destroy it, have a wonderful time and do that in the comfort of your home. 3. You can join forums such as these.

Ah, I feel much better smiley - bigeyes

Post 91

Anonymouse

Rough day? smiley - winkeye

Post 92

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

This was in one of the Imponderables books...I think part of it has to do with the fact that they always put the two or three most popular soups at eye level or thereabouts....

Post 93

Anonymouse

Nah.. that would be too easy. If they did that, then most people would be able to run in, get what they wanted, and get out of the store... and we can't -have- that. smiley - winkeye

Post 94

Aoibheil 56832

I do believe there is an echo in this forum. I don't believe grocery stores want is in and out quickly. Make our lives easy, don't be silly. I still think they ought to alphabetize the soups.

Post 95

Anonymouse

I think they should alphabetize streets, too... but what do you think of the chances?

Post 96

Dave Evans

*Self*-climbing? That indeed sounds like an activity not to be attempted by the untrained. smiley - winkeye

Post 97

Anonymouse

LOL smiley - winkeye

Post 98

EyeQueue(91614)

You also know one who doesn't. smiley - smiley

Post 99

EyeQueue(91614)

Most of our streets are alphabetized. At least they were until the city grew too big and new streets had to be added. Here in the "colonies", we have quite a few square blocks and most of the streets are straight. In my home town the north/south streets are numbered, while the east/west streets were just the alphabet (A street, B street, etc skipping I which could have been confused with 1). As the city expanded we ran out of letters and had to use names. And certain developments were added where the streets are not straight or easily named and are almost as hard to manuver through as those in England. While I was in Birmingham I had a very difficult time figuring out where the streets were and which end they started numbering from (or where that end was). smiley - smiley

Post 100

Anonymouse

One of the older 'traditions' was naming north/south streets First Avenue, Second Street, etc and east/west streets 1st St., 2nd Ave., and so on. Highly confusing.

'Nonniesmiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post