A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Becoming a parent

Post 1

Cookieluck

why is it that people who are perfectly normal change into selfish gits when they reproduce? Don't get me wrong, I like kids, it is the parents I can't deal with. They seem to think that it is their god given right to push their pram whereever they want to without any kind of thought for those who happen to be in the vicinity. I have been rammed in the back of my ankles on many an occasion. Even more offensive is their need to tell you all about the kiddies bowel habits, or a blow by blow description of their labour. This is not necessary and needs to be stopped.

Any suggestions?

Becoming a parent

Post 2

The Duke of Dunstable

I recognize the social truth in what you are saying. As a parent my self, I have numerous times been involved in the acts of darkness that you describe. I believe it's like if you bought a brand new and highly expensive and flashy new car. You become the king of the road and everyone should by automatic step aside and stare at you with awe. On the pavement, the pram and it's precious content represents this car. And another thing is; it's bleedin' well easier for you just to step to the side, than it is for me to manouvre the bleedin' pram out of your way. smiley - winkeye

Becoming a parent

Post 3

Peta

Don't stop suddenly when someone is pushing a pushchair behind you. smiley - smiley

Becoming a parent

Post 4

Charlie.Boy

What pisses me off is you can go out of your way to make room for someone who has a pram and then not get a second look but its a completely different story when you don't move isn't it.

Becoming a parent

Post 5

Anonymouse

Yeah... But you get the same thing when you move out of the way of a Porche.   smiley - erm

Becoming a parent

Post 6

Peta

Ah but trying opening a door for someone with a pushchair or helping them up some steps and you will get effusive thanks. You want thank you's now for not getting your shins busted !

Becoming a parent

Post 7

Anonymouse

Thanks for not taking up the space I'd like to occupy? smiley - winkeye

Becoming a parent

Post 8

Paul the Brake

I have driven porches on many occassions, (you may have guessed from my nickname that I am a mechanic) and when I drive expensive cars as I have to from time to time (we all have our crosses to bear)I allways acknolledge the person who has given way. And before you reply with something like "Ah! but you are not the owner of the expesive vehicle you are driving" I know most of my customers and they have probably never had to push a pram and If thay had they are not the type who would not smile if you steped aside for them.

Becoming a parent

Post 9

Anonymouse

I generally acknowledge anyone who shows curtesy in their driving... (which is sadly rare, these days) ... and write down or remember the others for future reference.

IE: So I can pull out in front of -them- next time. smiley - winkeye

Not really... Though I'd like to...

Becoming a parent

Post 10

Paul the Brake

Sounds like an excellent idea, I must remember to keep a pen and paper handy whenever I'm in the car.

Becoming a parent

Post 11

Anonymouse

*grin* smiley - winkeye

Becoming a parent

Post 12

Cheerful Dragon

A while ago I was in Cornwall, looking in a shop window. Without thinking, I took ONE step back without looking and ended up stepping into the path of a woman with a push-chair. Before I could apologise her husband (or whatever) shoved me out of the way. When I said that was uncalled-for, he said 'Well, don't step back into the path of someone with a push-chair.' Obviously the thought of saying 'Excuse me, please' never entered their heads. I would even have accepted 'Watch where you're going', but physical aggression is a bit much! smiley - sadface

Becoming a parent

Post 13

$u$

Oh yes, I remember those days. "Why do people with pushchairs act like they own the pavement?", then when you're actually pushing one yourself, "why are people so inconsiderate when you're pushing a pushchair, and expect YOU to bump down the kerb, struggle round them, risk you and your child's life and limb, before attempting to climb the kerb again", and do they ever say thankyou when you go round THEM??! I don't think violence is called for though ('Buggy rage'!!)

Also, have you noticed that when drivers become pedestrians (eg in shopping centre car parks) they curse other drivers for reversing, parking, driving, etc, before getting into their own cars and doing exactly the same?

Becoming a parent

Post 14

Gridreign741

It's probably more primal, like when cats drag their kittens out and kill birds infront of them, instead, it's the old 'get'em with the grazed ankle son!' teaching bit.

Becoming a parent

Post 15

Anonymouse

It's always -them- ... Not us, THEM. ;-/

Becoming a parent

Post 16

Ade C

Is this because people are expected to have a certain amount of "Good Manners", and most people with good manners don't expect to be complemented on each and every good act they perform each day ?

Becoming a parent

Post 17

Cheerful Dragon

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again. People stop thinking like drivers the minute they get out of their car and stop thinking like pedestrians when they get back into it. This is why you get so many accidents. People step into the paths of oncoming vehicles without bothering to think what that vehicle is going to do, and drivers don't 'see' the pedestrian as a potential hazard. Having said that, drivers that would actually indicate when going round roundabouts / before turning corners would be a great help.

Becoming a parent

Post 18

Anonymouse

Oh yeah... Those that think the blinkers are 'options' they'd turned down are one of my pet peeves. smiley - winkeye

Becoming a parent

Post 19

Anonymouse

Heh.. What used to be called 'Common Curtesy' is no longer common. smiley - sadface

Becoming a parent

Post 20

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

There's no shortage of societies which non-parents may join. In these societies, one can complain as much as one likes about children and parents and all their evil habits. http://www.fred.net/turtle/kids/ring.html lists just a few of these.

The one problem I've seen with these societies is: Parents can never learn from their wisdom. Whenever a parent comes in contact with one of these societies, people tend to start using terms like "baby-hater" and "breeder scum", and otherwise yelling at each other.

Key: Complain about this post