A Conversation for Ask h2g2

World Cup!

Post 1

Researcher 188007

There isn't a convo exclusively about the World Cup, so I thought I'd start one.

According to my calculations, France need to beat Denmark by at least a two-goal margin. So it could very well be "Au 'voir, les bleus" in a week's time. Of course, by that time, England could well be in a similar predicament...

World Cup!

Post 2

Ste

Good idea Jack smiley - ok, we need more WC threads smiley - winkeye

This situation could end up being very nice for England. France are unlikely to win the group, and so are England. Thus setting up a potential France - Argentina match, with England getting an easier draw. I reckon England just have to win *one* match and France continue in their current form.

Next match for France: No Henri, no Petit, will Zidane be fit?

Aren't Uruguay dirty buggers?

*Wearing his red England away shirt and waiting for my Argentinian co-worker to arrive* smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - earthsmiley - football

World Cup!

Post 3

Ross

Looks like barring a miracle the French are out - YES (I work for a french company).
There is no way that Denmark will lose by more than a 2 goal margin - especially as they know that a draw confirms their qualification for the next stage.

Also Ireland know that anything more than 1-0 against the Saudis pretty much ensures their qualification as Cameroon looked diabolical and seem unlikely to be good enough to stop the Germans.

The Russia, Belgium, Japan group looks likely to rest on which 2 teams score the most against poor old Tunisia with all the other games looking likely to be draws.

Sven will no doubt be happy with a draw against Argentina and then get a win against Nigeria to qualify.

World Cup!

Post 4

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

A748640
Poor old Ormie went to all that trouble to keep you world cup bores in one place, as well...smiley - winkeye
smiley - shark

World Cup!

Post 5

Ste

smiley - laugh Thanks for the link Bluesy smiley - ok

World Cup!

Post 6

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

No problem.smiley - ok
smiley - shark

World Cup!

Post 7

Researcher 188007

Well, we're not gonna hide away completely! I've just been forwarded a World Cup Electronic Wallchart. It's basically an Excel sheet where you input predicted scores and see the results on the group tables. It's ace. smiley - biggrin

So, using this gadget, France can only come top if they beat Denmark by more than two goals, and Uruguay win with a lower goal margin! So yes, if England can get second, we can expect to meet another team, most likely Senegal I would say. This takes the pressure off considerably, since drawing with Argentina and beating Nigeria should be enough for us to get second.

BTW, Uruguay certainly did what they're famous for doing.

Come on England, we can do it now! smiley - rocketfootball>smiley - rose

World Cup!

Post 8

My point wasn't that you should hide away somewhere (God knows, there's little enough hope of avoiding the World Cup over the next month smiley - winkeye) but that you might find more people to talk to on Ormie's page.
Double the people, double the audience, double the pleasure kind of thing...smiley - ok
smiley - shark

World Cup!

Post 9

Researcher 188007

Sure, it's just - why is it always so hard to find other forums? I always seem to end up here...

World Cup!

Post 10

Uncle Heavy [sic]

uruguay were conspicuously rubbish

World Cup!

Post 11

Ste

Yeah, weren't they a dirty team? How many stud did I see being scraped down legs. And Silva, he makes my blood boil.

Any England v Argentina predictions?

Stesmiley - earthsmiley - football

World Cup!

Post 12

Uncle Heavy [sic]

a 3-1 drubbing. to them.

World Cup!

Post 13

Ste

Pessimist (I assume you mean 3-1 to Argentina). smiley - tongueout

smiley - smiley

I'm going for a draw, I think it will be a stalemate. But, if Argentina play as they played against Nigeria then England could get the win. If I stay up until 6.30am for a display like England produced in the second half against Sweden I'm going to be one mad person smiley - grr.

Stesmiley - earth

World Cup!

Post 14

Robin

do you think if Senegal do better than France then the French will claim the victory, due tp there being so many players that play and live in France.

Removed

Post 15

il viaggiatore

This post has been removed.

World Cup!

Post 16

Ste

smiley - erm ooookaaaayyy.

"An England victory won't mean the evil Argentinian invaders never attacked the innocent Falkland Islands and it won't bring back the dead from HMS Sheffield, but it will still be deeply satisfying."

:/, come on...

Stesmiley - earth

World Cup!

Post 17

Uncle Heavy [sic]

one thing i am glad of is that our players are all *significantly* less ugly than the argies

World Cup!

Post 18

Researcher 188007

Now then. I'm in e-mail conference with two Englishmen, an Italian, a Spaniard and an Argentine. So far only the Spanish Armada has been mentioned (a tactical banana skin by the Spaniard there. I replied "Are they gonna be any better than last time?") I may for example have called the Argentina team a strategically-shaved bunch of monkeys, but we have both refrained from the more poignant references, 'cos it all goes down the pan then.

So, let's just get on with the game, and may the best team lose. smiley - winkeye

World Cup!

Post 19

Ross

Well not the result England needed - Sweden 2 Nigeria 1 - by my calculations means that England have to beat Nigeria by more than 1 clear goal and get at least a draw today to be certain of going through.

Of course a win today would be perfect as it would put 3 teams on 4 points and then its all down to the last game.....................

World Cup!

Post 20

Researcher 188007

A comedy own goal? From Spain? smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post