A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is Blue?

Post 21

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Blue is electromagnetic radiation of wavelength around 4*10^-7 to 5*10^-7 m. Also, the property of objects which reflect electromagnetic radiation (a.k.a. light) of this wavelength and absorb most or all others in the visible spectrum.
I think that that is pretty definitive, except when used to describe the emotion.

What is Blue?

Post 22

Encapsulated Life Pod Number 3- Muse of Gibberish

<>

Only in combination with a conscious perception of this wavelength as being "blue". Other organisms may perceive this as green, red or whatever..

Which is a problem because the definition then becomes circular.. i.e.
"That electromagnetic radiation of wavelength which is or is perceived as or defined as blue"..

err..

What is Blue?

Post 23

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

The bigger question is what came first, the colour orange or the fruit?

What is Blue?

Post 24

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

If the colour we percieve as blue is known as 'green' or 'red' by another species, that's a problem of language translation rather than definition.

What is Blue?

Post 25

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

My name is blue.

What is Blue?

Post 26

Which is odd because your nickname also includes red.

What is Blue?

Post 27

It's gold, man, GOLD! smiley - winkeyesmiley - silly 'La Reine des Poissons Rouges' means 'Queen of the Goldfish'. Okay, technically, you were right, but too many people call me 'Queen of the Red Fish', which is altogether less dignified, don't you think? smiley - winkeyesmiley - orangefish

What is Blue?

Post 28

True, and I apologise. As you can see, I really ought to know better.

What is Blue?

Post 29

I was only joking... sorry if I offended you... smiley - hugsmiley - grovel

What is Blue?

Post 30

So neither of us is offended but both of us is sorry. Could someone copme along and be offended to take care of this surplus sorrow? Or 'blues' to put it another way.

What is Blue?

Post 31

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Blue is like red, but a different colour, or color if you prefer, which isn't to avoid the question that it ends up being a relitive question of perception as a result of the names themselves, and not the individual wavelength of the light concerned to give the colour its perceived state of perceptual naming.

What is Blue?

Post 32

Nothing has a name which is fundamental to its nature. A rose by any other name, and all that.

What is Blue?

Post 33

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It's a 4-letter word. smiley - bluesmiley - ok

What is Blue?

Post 34

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Oh not another philosophical question that has no real answer.I'm happy with what I percieve blue to be and that's that.

Incog.

What is Blue?

Post 35

Hoovooloo

Blue? How would I know? <blue?

H.

What is Blue?

Post 36

Ste

smiley - blue <=475nm

What is Blue?

Post 37

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Blue is blue like water is red,
pollute the plannet and all eat bread smiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - headhurts Blue is a state of perpetual cheese.
Blue is teh colour of cheese.
Cheese is teh colour of blue.
Blue isn't as tasty as cheese unless it is blue cheese.
Chese is cheese spelt incorrectly.
Blue is the word bluee without the e at the end.
smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts Blue is my fingers.
blue is not the colour of my hat which i lost, went to collect, found out they didn't have, went to collect again, and found they did have. smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts blue is not the colour of my swamp creatures or the screaming hords of worriors running across my brian.
Brian is like blue spelt incorrectly. smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts
smiley - wow just think of the possibilities of navey blue! smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts cheese is not contained in a hat that is not blue, so blue is not the colour of a non-cheese containing hat. smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts blue is, or should not be the colour of the smiley - ale i drunk last nite. smiley - ermsmiley - headhurts Blue may, or maynot be the favourate or most hated colour of nighthoover, the true prophet, and ruler of the small spaces behind pieces of furnature. smiley - ermsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wah

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more