A Conversation for Ask h2g2

literary lust

Post 41

Babel17

Doesn't look like it has been moderated, TC smiley - winkeye

My co-worker has now said that his ideal fictional woman is Alice from a book called 'Girlfriend 44' by Mark Barrowcliffe, and also apologises for the previous reference to Gor, should it offend anybody. having read up on them, I can now understand why he added that last comment. Sorry.

literary lust

Post 42

King of the Wonderbeasts

Hmmmm....

Only one I can think of is Kate from "The Taming of the Shrew," and it is indicative of my confusion that I'd want both the pre- and post- taming versions depending on my mood. smiley - winkeye

I'd certaintly *exclude* a few characters... No women from any science fiction I've ever read, no hideously Ayn Randian critters of any sort, and no one from any work in which a bodice gets ripped.

literary lust

Post 43

KayKay

My first literary love was Jondolar(I'm noty sure if I'm spelling his name correctly, since it's been years since I read the books!), the sexy, perfect Cro-Magnon mate of Aayla in Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" novels. He makes his first appearance in "The Valley of Horses".

He was... wow. Something else. Whoo-hoo!

literary lust

Post 44

You can call me TC

Yes - those books certainly got down to the nitty-gritty. I often wondered if animals were tamed before crops were grown... is there a basis for this? They have pet dogs and stuff, but are still scavenging the woods for food.

literary lust

Post 45

KayKay

I'm not an anthropologist, just a lover of trashy romance novels hiding in the guise of historically based fantasy. smiley - winkeye

Hunter-gatherer societies 'might' have trained certain animals as worker-helpers or herds for meat, milk and skin supplies. There are still nomadic societies in recent times who live in the same way without growing crops.

I think the character of Aayla is different because she approached the animal world for friendship, instead of as a tool for survival. She's got those qualities of characterization that identify her as a shaman. I'm not sure, but I think that the idea of companion animals would be nearly unthinkable to the ancients.

You know, I was waiting for a sequel to the awfully bad "Clan of the Cave Bear" film just to see Jondolar.

literary lust

Post 46

KayKay

I'm not an anthropologist, just a lover of trashy romance novels hiding in the guise of historically based fantasy. smiley - winkeye

Hunter-gatherer societies 'might' have trained certain animals as worker-helpers or herds for meat, milk and skin supplies. There are still nomadic societies in recent times who live in the same way without growing crops.

I think the character of Aayla is different because she approached the animal world for friendship, instead of as a tool for survival. She's got those qualities of characterization that identify her as a shaman. I'm not sure, but I think that the idea of companion animals would be nearly unthinkable to the ancients.

You know, I was waiting for a sequel to the awfully bad "Clan of the Cave Bear" film just to see Jondolar.

literary lust

Post 47

Sho - employed again!

Oh I want Mr. Darcy. And Mr. Rochester. And Heathcliff. Those girls could really write men, eh?

And I've always had a hakering for De Bracy from Ivanhoe. And Ford Prefect (especially when I remember David Dixon's - from the tv series - blue eyes)

literary lust

Post 48

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Ooh yeah, forgot about Aayla, she was yummy!

With regard to the domesticating of animals, especially dogs, I seem to remember reading/seeing somewhere that the man/canine bond was one of the oldest. Man used the dogs nose to hunt and in return the dog got fed - You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

literary lust

Post 49

Hoversnail

Its got to be Emma Bovary.

Theres a Woody Allen short story about a man who is given the chance to enter any novel he wants to via a magical box. He chooses Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary and Emma commits her celebrated adultery with him instead. I forget how it ends.

literary lust

Post 50

a girl called Ben

Xanatic mentioned the Dragons of Pern in another forum...

... which put me in mind of F'lar, leader of the dragonriders, rider of the Bronze Mnementh, wearer of wher-hide undies...

... which reminded me of this thread about fictional people you fancy the where-hide undies off.

So I decided to boost it up to the top of the ratings again, and see who fancies what. Never forget - you cannot judge a book by its cover.

a fantasist called Ben

literary lust

Post 51

The Apathetic

Literary lust?

Hmmm.

I'd have to go with Marla from Chuck Palahniuk's debut novel 'Fight Club'. Apathy and nihilism in one package. I'm drooling.

literary lust

Post 52

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

> wher-hide undies <

Wouldn't that be underwher, then?
8)

literary lust

Post 53

a girl called Ben

Underwher? - Of course!

And all I want to know is: wher can I find some? (Maybe Mandagora could help...?)

literary lust

Post 54

the autist formerly known as flinch

It is sad but true that there are fewer attractive female characters in novels, but that's largely because authors don't bother to give women any depth.

Personally, when doing the mental casting of a book, i usually identify the female lead in a book, the character with whom one most empathises/desires, as my partner. I often cast her as attractive male roles too. This can be quite disturbing when she then goes on to betray the narrator / die / take an army of lovers. But that's what you get for such literary fidelity.

Recently she has been Lady Murasaki, that one sank in quite deep. I carry a lot of associations for her, which actually come from these literary connections. Not that she's short of qualities to admire in RL, rather these literary associations highlight her many fine characteristics, and i admire characters and pick up on them because they remind me of her. But in my memories of her i can see her at court in Heinan, as a priestess of Hathor, at the barricades in Barcelona or in the Weimar clubs and cabarets.

But i've never mentioned this to her.

literary lust

Post 55

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Ben: >"Maybe Mandagora could help...?"

Just before I add my own fantasies and fancies, Mandragora's computer is still bust. She's not ignoring you, she just hasn't been online recently! If you're really interested in underwher, she should be back online soon...

x x Fenny (shoving nose where it's not wanted)

literary lust

Post 56

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Oh, just my style of question, just right for Saturday night. Any takers?

Most of the tall, dark, arrogant heroes from Georgette Heyer. Most of the active, prosaic ones, too: nothing like a man who can slip from Beau to farm-hand (I'm thinking of "The Grand Sophy", I think).

Mat, from the Wheel of Time decology (nine books written so far). Fun, cheeky, and slightly doomed.

But top of my list of cute men has to be Sharpe (books, not TV series. Nothing against Sean Bean, but he's blonde. The book describes Sharpe as black-haired. And I *like* dark hair.) This man's a real hero, soldier, strategist. Wow!

Women? Do I have to be the first to post a same-sex admiration? All right: Avhienda, from the Wheel of Time. This is a rocking female character - ex-fighter, now training to be a wise woman. Great start! Funny, witty, hates the male protagonist, woman to emulate!

x x Fenny

literary lust

Post 57

a girl called Ben

Oh well, if we are going to start discussing Georgette Heyer's heros... *swoons*

The Beau-to-Farmhand one is Jack Staple in 'The Toll Gate', which is one of my favourites. Sophy is one of my favourite of her heroines, though, as is Frederica, and Deborah in 'Faro's Daughter'

But the all-time best Georgette Heyer hero is Demerel in 'Venetia'. Witty, sarcastic, tall, dark, handsome, athletic, Byronic, outcast, dualist, sexy, experienced, troilist, linguist - cunning and otherwise, strewer of rose petals, oh my god, what else would a girl ever want? And lucky (lovely) Venetia gets him.

I haven't read the Wheel of Time - though I have got Book 1 on my shelf waiting to be read. And I agree completely with you about Sharpe.

What about Lymond in Dorothy Dunnett's 'Game of Kings'. A little too full of himself and blond, but fascinating as hell.

Same Sex admiration?

literary lust

Post 58

a girl called Ben

... ooops, hit to quick...

Same sex admiration - the jewish friend of the blonde in The Woman in White. I think her name is Rachel, but it may be Marianne. She is clever, funny, kind, intelligent, witty - etc. And the dumb-ass still goes for blondie.

However Wilkie Collins actually had two families in different parts of London, so I wonder if the sub-text was actually advocating that. One wife who is dumbly admiring, for your ego; and the other who is intelligent and funny, for your mind.

That's it for now

a reader of trashy fiction called Ben

literary lust

Post 59

You can call me TC

Has anyone been keeping tabs on whether male authors write better fictitious females to satisfy male readers' fantasies and vice versa? The only men I can really remember being moved by were all described either by Thomas Hardy or DH Lawrence. I'm sure a woman ought to be able to tickle my fantasies better with her description of men. Or is it the way they write about them?

literary lust

Post 60

Saturnine

**resurrects year old thread**

*waves at everyone*

smiley - smiley

Raven from Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash"

Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

Shakespeare's Hamlet...

And I've always had a hankering for William Burroughs...yes, I know he's dead...but have you ever heard him speak? Gorgeous.

Oh God. And my ultimate lust figure so far is Michael Moorcock's "Elric"...so tortured!!! smiley - drool

Key: Complain about this post