A Conversation for Talking Point: Bad Habits

Smoking...

Post 1

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Smoking is not a bad habit, it's an addiction smiley - rolleyes

Smoking is not a bad habit, it's an addiction

Nope, it's not working, I can't convince myself of that...

smiley - run

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Smoking...

Post 2

Rev Nick

It's both ... foul habit and addiction. Doubles the battle to be rid of them. A battle that I haven't yet bested in about 39 years now smiley - puffsmiley - spacesmiley - sigh

Smoking...

Post 3

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

It's an awful habit, plus you're not only killing yourself, you're killing others too- yes, there is a proven link between passive smoking and death... I'm dating a smoker and though I love the guy, I wish he'd stop, it's disgusting. And WHY THE HELL MUST YOU SMOKE AT 5AM? After all the bitching you do about not getting a proper night's rest... aye, I wonder why!

Having said that, I bite my nails and drink too much. And I really should take care of myself better, but I don't.

Smoking...

Post 4

tarantoes

This is my first post on h2g2 so I am not planning on making this special smiley - biggrin:

If you want to give up smoking then you could try visualising something nasty happening in your lungs ... like a sponge filling up with nasty black crud.

Are there any benefits to smoking? Well people smoke to relieve stress. Stress itself is a killer (heart attacks etc), so if you stop smoking you will need to find yourself some other way to relieve stress.

There are also indications that smoking helps to prevent the onset of senility. I'm not sure what the latest studies indicate. Preventing the onset of senility it helps to keep your brain active.

Smoking...

Post 5

TasteOfGreen

Tarantoes,
but if you're senile, you probably won't remember that you need a cigarette! smiley - winkeye

Smoking...

Post 6

Rev Nick

Senility, ... I used to remember what that was ...

Smoking...

Post 7

StoneyIsle

It took me 3 times to give up.

Eventually, you have to "want" to give up, otherwise its a losing battle.

Everyone has different experiences that allow them to give up, a hockey pal once told me of his visit to Ashdown Forest, a Sunday walk out with the kids etc, passed over a bridge (it may have been the Pooh Stick bridge) and thought what a nice place to have a fag.

Got the packet out, went for a cig and fumbled the packet. He tried to catch it but just juggled for a few seconds, spilling all the fags out and into the river. He watched them float slowly away downstream and thought, there's not a fag shop for miles around here, swore a few times and said to himself, "What's the Bl**dy point of it all!"

Never smoked again.

Smoking...

Post 8

LOL. I shall indulge in a touch of what the Germans like to call Schadenfreude here. *points and laughs*

Good on him though.

Smoking...

Post 9

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Gave up cold turkey nearly two years ago. Anyone who says it's difficult is a wimp. smiley - evilgrin

<>

I thought the jury was still out on this one as all the studies which 'proved' a definite link were funded by health organisations and therefore biased. Admittedly I've not looked at this for a few years...

Smoking...

Post 10

No, I think there is a link now proven. Admittedly I did read this in the Daily Mail, which could mean it is all balls.

Smoking...

Post 11

Rev Nick

Direct links are 'proven' to them who want to see them, and intangible to those who don't ... I think the official juries are still out on if smoking even causes death. As there are so many contributing factors just in our environment

Smoking...

Post 12

I am of the opinion that smoking may cause cancer which may or may not cause death. The link I speak of is the one supposedly proven between PASSIVE smoking and death, which seems logical to me. I passive smoke (my mother and boyfriend do) and I have a disability; I have a feeling that the smoke doesn't really help my lung capacity, now, will it.

Smoking...

Post 13

Rev Nick

Any inhaling of the many products of smoke (any sort) can't be good. I have unfortunately also been exposed to some pretty vile and sometimes unmeasureable amounts of stuff, so I would never be proof of the harm of voluntary smoking

Smoking...

Post 14

It's worse from ready-made cigarettes too, they add all kinds of carp to stop the tobacco going stale and make it burn properly.

Smoking...

Post 15

I think ammonia is one of the many product in ready rolled cigs. If you roll your own I do not think it is much better- however, I do believe they smell better.

Smoking...

Post 16

Fiendish Llama

smiley - raisedeyebrow So you don't believe passive smoking is bad, eh? smiley - raisedeyebrow

I have to put up with people smoking around me all the time!

I'm going to die young at this rate!
o.O

Smoking...

Post 17

<>

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said it wasn't bad, just that last time I looked there was no definitive evidence that passive smoking was lethal. There is a huge difference.

Smoking...

Post 18

Rev Nick

A definitive thing is, ... the burning of tobacco and the inhaling of the smoke, ... It is not beneficial to human health. It does produce and carry a lot of vile and detrimental stuffs.

I suck on the damned sticks by choice. I do try to be considerate of other folks, out-doors, even in my own bungalow 3-bedroom home. When visitors come to call. When I visit my in-laws (750 miles away) I step out into what-ever the weather is. Thier home is smoke free.

I don't know how lethal anything is, for me it is just a consideration.

Smoking...

Post 19

Please don't put words in my mouth either, Fiendish Llama... I believe passive smoking is a very bad thing but that's simply my opinion.

Smoking...

Post 20

StoneyIsle

I think it better to use the lungs to their natural capacity, that of breathing "air", anything else is just not natural.

Of course, smoking won't kill you, but the cancer will.

Lost two friends to throat and mouth cancer, both smokers and drinkers.

Big thing to help give up is reverse the mind games you played in the first place, telling your body that it was OK, when it was coughing and spluttering with the first drag.

Tell yourself you hate smoking and its disgusting and you don't actually want the fag you are going to light up, even when you do, just keep doing it. Look at the fag and begin to hate the fag.

It might help. It helped me in the end.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more