A Conversation for The Agony of Being a Chicago Cubs Fan

Sports

Post 1

Ka-shoot

If the idea of being a sports fan is to have fun, why root for the Cubs if all you get is dejection and melancholy? Is it some sort of strung-out penance for your sins? Why be loyal to a group of strangers you've never had the opportunity to meet and certainly aren't friends with even as they continue to let you down? It might work in war, or in a lot of other heroic life situations, but in baseball, you are supposed to have a good time, right? It'd be disloyal to baseball not to. Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions, but it'd save you a lot of bad days to go ahead and cheer for the other team. Hey, they're winning, right?

Sports

Post 2

Mannerheim

Aaah - a Man U fan (for our American cousins, insert "Yankees").

Sports

Post 3

psycho crazy thing who guards the gatehouse of heck

actually i have met some of the cubs, and the reason im a die-hard fan is because their my home team, and if im going to support someone its going to be the team that i grew up supporting, the team that i used to goto the ballpark and watch not a team that changes every week based on whos the best.

Sports

Post 4

NeoZeus81

When my team plays a game, I express a lot of emotions (from overwhelming joy to suicidal depression). It's almost like the team is out there playing just for you. That's why I never miss a game. My team belongs to me and every person who loves the team as much as I do. I'm from Chicago, but live in Croatia. The Cubies got me hooked when I went to see a game at Wrigley when I was 5 years old, and since then never let me go. But when I came to Europe and saw how fans support there football (soccer) teams it was an incredible sight. It's almost like they live for their team. The fans in Europe take being a fan to another level, and it's incredible and magical. When I saw on TV a game with Liverpool and their supporters cheering in unisone, I was hooked for a second time in my life. I've been a Liverpool fan eversince. I feel sorry for someone who can't make a connection to a sports team. You have no idea what your missing out on.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more