A Conversation for The Agony of Being a Chicago Cubs Fan

Cubs or Bees

Post 1

greeneyedfairy

My God, this sounds like the baseball equivalent of being a Brentford FC fan. Brentford are a football (that's the REAL football) team languishing in the Coca-Cola League One and I am unfortunate enough to be a West Londoner who was introduced to the team at a young age by my father. Other than reporting him to Social Services for child abuse, there is nothing much else I can do about being a Brentford (or 'Bees' fan) than rail at him regularly.

Supporting Brentford has probably taken about 10 years off my natural life span. They are notorious for choking at the big occasion. Three years ago we got through to the play-off final meaning if we won, we'd go up to the next division. That means more money from the Football Association, usually bigger gates and so more income and so better players. We lost to Stoke and it was the most depressing football experience of my life. I usually pick myself up after a couple of hours moping about when it all goes badly wrong but this low lasted a few days. We had our 100th anniversary of being at our ground, Griffin Park, last year. The local museum and the Club got together and hired an oral sports historian who wanted to interview Bees fans about their memories of coming to the games. My Dad and I were both interviewed and would you believe it - I got tearful talking about the game we lost to Stoke!

However, I am proud to support my local team instead of some Premiership club, hundreds of miles away, who I never get to see play in the flesh. I'm sure Cubs fans must have developed a very thick skin by now and have a lot of laughs about the hopelessness of it all.
Good luck with the next season.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more