A Conversation for The h2g2 Hitchhikers Movie News Page

See the film before everyone else

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

The very first paid for screening will be 42 minutes before midnight on Wednesday 27th i.e. 42 minutes before the official day of release.

The screening will be at Empire Leicester Square and the link for info and to book tickets is: http://www.uci.co.uk/index.php?page=confirmation&perf_id=138230&tbx_site_id=39

This is definitely one to dress up for and it will be a real occasion (plenty of time for a couple of pan galactic gargle blasters beforehand to get in the mood).

Post 2

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

Actually, I beg to differ.

The Embassy in Wellington New Zealand (where they premiered all the LOTR movies) is showing it at 6:15pm on Wednesday, and seeing as that's 11 hours ahead of the UK that'll be 7:15am on Wednesday morning UK time.... smiley - biggrin

Whoopee!

smiley - chick

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Spoilsport smiley - smiley

Post 4

Keseral - lost...

Well I have already seen it! (it started at 6.00pm tuesday 26th)

Trust me, Its great!

smiley - biggrin

Post 5

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

We have a winner!

Post 6

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

I saw it starting at 10am on Sunday the tenth.

I didn't pay for that though. And I agree that it's great.

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit to be paying for tickets
"The first non paying was 'Peta' < F656?thread=598608 > She had a press embadger to keep however. smiley - sadface"

Post 8

Jim Lynn

Peta wasn't the only person at that screening. But some of us knew we weren't allowed to talk about it at the time.

And I was in front of Peta, so the photons hit my eyes first.

Post 9

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

And it wasn't the complete film.

Post 10

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit not inthe race for seeing the movie first
"But I will not be the last smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers, that the movie will become a classic smiley - smiley"

Post 11

purplejenny

I really do hope so. I was dead lucky and won a ticket to the world premiere and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Its more of a comedy movie than anything else and had me chuckling most of the time and pissing myself occasionally. Bill Bailey doing the impropable whale scene probably is my very favourite bit. I wasn't entirely convinced by the Trillian / Arthur romance, but maybe more cos its not like that in the Hitchhikers books, rather than a lack of chemistry between Martin Freeman and wos'name who plays Trillian. (She was wearing a GORGEOUS frock at the premiere, all delicate layered chiffon in a very full lemony dress)

I am gonna see the film again with my mates, and I'll be interested to see what people who haven't really heard of the Hitchhikers guide make of it. (an American guy and an Italian girl I know are the only people I can think of who I know that don't know the story already from the radio, book or TV) I expect it will make them laugh.

The only criticsms that I've heard of the film so far is an iffy review from a newspaper, but that seemed to be totally 'sci-fi' phobic. I really hope its gonna do well and bring brilliant ideas like the babel fish to everyones attention. And then bring on the sequals smiley - smiley

Post 12

I'm not really here

Argh, no romance for Arthur! That's going to spoilt it a bit. The whole point was that he was on his own all the time. No fair if he joins up.

Post 13

purplejenny

Don't worry, there isn't much of it, in fact, probably just a couple of kisses in the whole movie. But it just don't seem right to me either.

I hope thats not a spoiler, I thought it was fairly well known by now that the movie has that romance element to it. Otherwise, i thought all changes from the books / radio / tv incarnations of the story were well justified.

And eventually in the book trilogy 'Random' turns up, which certainly was down to an involvement of sorts between Trillian and Arthur... And then what about Fenchurch? Arthur did find love at the end of the books and, and I'm very glad that he did!

Post 14

I'm not really here

I had heard it before, but I'd forgotten/ignored it - in much the same way that I always ignore the last book because it ruined the whole story for me. smiley - blue

Post 15

purplejenny

Oh no, I think that some of the last book is really nice... him and Fenchurch flying together after all that time in the cave. smiley - smiley

I quite like the fact that all the stories are so muddled and have so many different outcomes and reversals too. That nonsensicality is just right for the hootooverse, I think. Are you gonna go to the special screening?

Post 16

Smij - Formerly Jimster

That'll be the fourth book - my fave in the series.

Post 17

purplejenny

ah yes. Mostly harmless was the last one, wasn't it? I haven't read any of them for a while now...

Post 18

Jemstone

Not sure I like the idea of the romance between Arthur and Trillian either, but having watched a short documentary about the movie, it appears that DNA and team (over the years of trying to get the movie made), agreed that they should bring in this love interest in order to sell the film to the movie makers - which obviously worked!

I wont be seeing the movie for another few days yet, but I'm looking forward to it very much!
smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post