A Conversation for Sherlock Holmes Part I - the Character

Sherlock Holmes and Columbo

Post 1

Researcher PSG

These two famous detectives definately deserve entries, but I haven't any time to write them myself.smiley - smiley

Any takers?

Researcher PSG

Post 2

Odo

smiley - yikes I’m surprised Holmes hasn’t be done already. Mind you, I suppose an entry on a fictional character who is portrayed in a variety of ways (Rathborne compared to Brett) it could be rather a tricky one to write.

Post 3

Researcher PSG

I must admit I was surprised as well.

I don't think that necessarily has to be a problem. If its titled Sherlock Holmes - Literary Character or something you can get away with a cursory mention to the TV and Cinematic versions.

Alternatively, I think there is an entry on Basil Rathbone, if an entry was created on the definitive Jeremy Brett as well, then it might be done by reference.

Researcher PSG

Post 4

Odo

That would be one way round it.

Right, can I lay claim to Holmes then? It'll give me something to start work on next week during half term.

Post 5

Researcher PSG

As far as I am concerned you cansmiley - smiley I'll look forward to seeing it.

Researcher PSG

Post 6

Odo

smiley - smiley It'll be a good excuse to dig the books out again. It should be an interesting challenge.

Post 7

Researcher PSG

Hows it going?

Oh, I just dropped by to ask if you know about "Raffles: the amateur cracksman" written by E.W. Hornung. Its just that Hornung was married to Arthur Conan Doyles sister, and Raffles is the ultimate theif and also in the book there is the legend "TO A.C.D. THIS FORM OF FLATTERY"

Just thought it might make an interesting footnote.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 8

Atlantic_Cable

I'd like to lay claim to the Columbo entry, if that's OK.

Post 9

Researcher PSG

Great, its all yourssmiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 10

Odo

smiley - erm Rather slowly, work is a bit busy atm so I'm restricted in the amount of time I can spend on the internet.

I didn't know about "Raffles: the amateur cracksman" written by E.W. Hornung". Definitely something I'll have to look into. I think there was a BBC series based on the books on a year or so ago though......

Post 11

Researcher PSG

I know the feeling. I'm too bogged down with work at the moment to get any entries done.

Ah, well I wouldn't worry too much about that pilot a year or so ago. It was a case of some TV writer thinking they could do a better job. You know the idea, set after the books had finished with a new set up, etc (And to be honest, not very good).

Researcher PSG

Post 12

Atlantic_Cable

the Columbo entry is now in PR at A2361124.

Post 13

Researcher PSG

Its a good entrysmiley - ok As I said in the PR threadsmiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

Post 14

Researcher PSG

and its just been accepted into the guide:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F1755688thread=393752&post=5073751#p5073751

smiley - bubbly

Researcher PSG

Post 15

Smij - Formerly Jimster

And very good it is too. Now we have to focus on Sherlock Holmes.

Anyone thinking of taking this on should possibly start here - http://www.sherlockian.net/canon/index.html - a complete list of the official 'canonical' Holmes stories. There are some very helpful links there too - including (I think) free texts of the stories...

Thread Moved

Post 16

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Challenge h2g2' to 'Sherlock Holmes'.

Just moving this to the new Topic of the Week page for this subject.

Key: Complain about this post