A Conversation for The Jinn in Islam

Peer Review: A2208368 - The Jinn in Islam

Post 1

fotis88

Entry: The Jinn in Islam - A2208368
Author: fotis88 - U557949

Well, this would go in the Religion section. It gives you a clear insight on the Status of the Jinn in Islam.

A2208368 - The Jinn in Islam

Post 2

anhaga

I like it.smiley - smiley

I'm not sure, however, that the phrase "(interpretation of the meanings)" will be clear to all readers. Perhaps a more elaborate explanation? Perhaps in a footnote?

It would also look good in Guideml with some headers, etc.

Nice job!

Post 3

sprout

Interesting and erudite article.

I think it needs a little more explanation though. Particularly on what a jinn is, and with a mention of the alternate spelling - djinn. Perhaps a short section on a few of the other cultural references to Jinn - 1001 nights for example, would help people to make the link between the notion of Jinn in Islam and Djinn/genies in non-religous contexts.

Equally, as Anhaga noted, a few headers would not go amiss, and the references to the Quran would perhaps better be put in footnotes. If you don't know how to do this, just ask.

sprout

Post 4

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I found the whole thing rather hard to follow. There is not much in the way of insight to be found.
Sorry.

It makes an assumption that the reader knows what the Koran is and that he understands the culture that the superstition arose from.

The Japanese have the kami, which serve a similar purpose in their beliefs.
Many of the animist faiths have spirits of wind and cave and whirlwind and tree.

I think it would be more entertaining if the writer put a bit more of himself into than can be found in a scholarly commentary.
While there are many erudite entries in the guide, an attempt at some sort of popularization is truly appreciated.

You could begin with the misconceptions of the jinn, as found in movies and stories, like Aladdin (who according to the Arabian Nights, was Chinese) or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (whose license plate was DJIN or some such).
You could even mention the legends of Lilith, who was supposed by some cultures to be the mother of such things.

Then you could move onto the truth, or at least the genuine cultural sources.

Just a thought.

Post 5

amusedO

The idea behind this is extremely interesting. The concept of everyone having a Jinni as their own guardian (relative to Christian belief of a Guardian Angel) is fascinating in this portrayal of religion.

However one aspect in reading this contribution which tends to dilute the message, are the constant references to the quotations – this marks the piece as a form of scripture in places as opposed to a report.

As a piece of reporting, I would respectfully suggest the quotes be used for source only, and would re-write this from the view of what the Jinn are, how they came into being, their purpose and anything else which might interest the reader – keeping it simple and to the point.

The religious context will be imbued in the report of these beings during the writing however, in my opinion, should not detract from the report itself, which appears to be the case in its present form.

Hope something of my reflection on this piece is helpful to you.

Post 6

Cyzaki

One-stop researcher? Back to entry?

smiley - panda

Post 7

Geggs

Oh, I don't know. There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the subject. I think a spin in FM might do some good.

Geggs

Post 8

GreyDesk

I would agree with that. The FM is the place for this.

Post 9

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

That's probably right; unfortunate, as this is a rather good entry, although it seems to assume that djinn are real. Hey, maybe they are, I don't know. However, perhaps the title should be changed to something along the lines of 'Islamic Beliefs Regardng Jinn.'

One final point - presumably, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is Muhammed - this should be explained.

Post 10

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I have nothing to add.

Post 11

Rik Bailey

Looks like whom ever wrote this is not coming back. When it reaches flea market I may take it under my arm, an see if I can make it more readable for non Muslims.

Adib

Post 12

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

So is there a consensus for a move to the Flea Market?

Has any scout sent in an email yet?

smiley - mouse

Post 13

GreyDesk

Yes, the e-mail was sent ages ago.

And the reminder flew a few minutes back smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post