Displaced_Hiker

Entry: Public Transit in Vancouver, B.C., Canada - A2143270
Author: Displaced_Hiker - U544940

Just basic information on public transit in Vancouver, B.C.,Canada

A2143270 - Public Transit in Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Post 2

frenchbean

Hello DH smiley - smiley

I don't have time to read this now, but I'll be back later...smiley - footprints

smiley - cheerssmiley - cracker
F/b

Post 3

sprout

Good stuff.

Two suggestions to start with:

Maybe a short paragraph explaining why boats feature so heavily in this - part of the city is on an island or something?

Also you use the word 'ticket' to mean a fine - this is quite confusing for UK readers as a ticket is what we buy to get on the bus.

You might get some more suggestions if you post on the Canadian thread -under ask H2G2. You can't miss it.

sprout

Post 4

Cyzaki

Are you planning on working on this?

smiley - panda

Post 5

Displaced_Hiker

Thanx for the imput.

If you have anymore suggestions dont hesitate smiley - bubbly

Post 6

Lord High Mucky-Muck

just a couple of suggestions:

1) check out the tutorial on . this is the accepted form for entries going into the edited guide
2) after that, place the headers into header tags. that will give the entry more asthetic appeal.
3) a quick spelling fix: 'Vancouvers' at the end of the article should be 'Vancouver's'

hope this helps out!

Post 7

Lord High Mucky-Muck

ooops, forgot about the GuideML thing in comments... here is the link to the tutorial on GuideML:

A395552

sorry 'bout that.

Post 8

Saturnine

Ooh. This is great. I've just moved to Vancouver, so I can help out lots.

Couple of points -

1) I think you should explain about the layout of Vancouver and the surrounding districts. A lot of people wouldn't know that it is more of a series of islands, than one stretch of land.

2) You should write a little something about the Gondala's that go up the side of Grouse mountain.

3) Perhaps something about how the Highways work and what the car parking is like here would help. It's not strictly public transport, but it's vital transport for a lot of folks in Vancouver. Same with the boats that commute from Deep Cove to Downtown Vancouver, and the Sea Planes. All of these are fascinating to me, being British and never having seen them. I still watch the Sea Planes coming in every single time.

4) Right now they are planning a new Rapid Rail system to the airport. You might want to put that in.

5)Seabus details-

a) there was nothing about the time it takes to cross the water (15 minutes) or the regularity of them. Nor anything about when the services change (I think it's on Sundays and evenings) to just the one Bus.
b) there was also nothing about the little ticket machines you come across before entering the Seabust - they are strangely reminiscent of the ones in Japan, and I find them a little quirky. smiley - smiley Nor anything about the prices.
c) a short history would help.

6) SkyTrain details -

a) there was nothing about prices or stations (a list of the main ones, and the busy ones in rush hour would be good) or the regularity of it. Comparing it to the London Underground would make it an easier read for people.
b) you should write some kind of short history of it.

With regards to the above two, you should also explain about the ZONES and how you can buy different tickets to travel through the zones. I still find this a little confusing despite having travelled on them twice.

smiley - ok I also think the general punctuation and grammar could be improved here. The rest is great though. I didn't know about the Albion ferry. smiley - magic

Post 9

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Hello Displaced Hiker! Always a pleasure to see an entry about my home town. I am a permanent resident here unlike Saturnine and (I assume) you. If I can help with anything please ask, I know initially it seems like people are attacking your efforts here but we all just want to ultimately help.
Saturnine mentioned the Grouse Mountain Gondola, which is not actually public transit so I was wondering if you were going to limit your entry to public or all types of transit.
The Albion ferry is actually part of the road and highways system so of course it isn't tolled or charged for in any way. For your interest it is part of a number of free ferrys in the province which are slowly being phased out for economic reasons. Within five years it will be replaced with a bridge.
The new Skytrain route will be started next year and will be completed by 2008, plenty of time left before the 2010 Olympics. It is rather unimaginatively named the *RAV* line for Richmond/Airport/Vancouver.
As you may realise Saturnine is inaccurate about the nature of Vancouver as islands. It does strongly resemble that geographical model in that it is devided up by many inlets of the Pacific Ocean and several arms of the Fraser River.
The zone reference might be helpful, though, I have to deal with it many days as I live on the North Shore (as North Vancouver and West Vancouver are called) and one trip on the Seabus is considered two zones.

Hope I'm helping here.smiley - cheers

cl

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hello, hiker! I see you're still around here at h2g2 -- are you still wanting to work on this one? Any response to the latest comments?

smiley - mouse

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Well, now the author has indeed disappeared from us. How would people feel about moving this thread to the flea market?

smiley - mouse

Post 12

GreyDesk

Yes, to the Flea Market with it smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more