Public Transit in Vancouver, B.C., Canada

2 Conversations

Vancouver is a growing city and one of the recent developments is the evolution of the transit system. Being a harbour city, it is surrounded by a labrynth of rivers and ports which divide Vanvouver from smaller cities like Richmond, which rests not so firmly on a delta. The transit system has recently been bought by Translink, who are now responsible for buses, sea buses, Skytrains, the Westcoast Express (a passenger train running a short distance north of Vancouver), the Albion ferry, and the roads. Which in turn will get you wherever you need to go, with the steady, broken down type of efficiency that can only be provided by a strong union.

Buses

The bus system is normally quite reliable, if they are able to contain themselves from going on strike. There are often free fold up paper maps behind the driver, but routes are generally in a grid form and therefore easy to follow. There are a multitude of different passes and tickets available from most drug stores. One would expect to pay $2.00 for an adult and an additional $1.00 for each additional zone, if this extra dollar is necessary the driver will inform you, if he doesn’t you saved yourself a dollar. For a child or senior the fare is $1.50 and $.50 for each additional zone, fares are paid on the bus. The driver will give you a transfer which should be kept so one may “transfer” to another bus. The transfers are also applicable for switching to the Seabuses or the Skytrains.

Seabuses

Seabuses are basically small passenger ferries that cross the Burrard Inlet connecting Downtown Vancouver with North Vancouver. There is often a short wait for the Seabus as there are only two, each which can carry up to 400 passengers. These ferries also run in bad weather and have even been known to run when roads and bridges were impassible.

Sky Trains

Skytrains are much like a subway only they travel mostly above ground. The Skytrains are one of the most efficient forms of transit for going further distances, to Coquitlam or Surrey. The Skytrains can be a little tricky, a second line, the Millennium line, has recently been added to the original line, the Expo line. The Expo line goes from Downtown Vancouver to Surrey, a 28 kilometer track with 20 stops, in 39 minutes with service provided every 3 to 5 minutes. The Millennium line runs roughly parallel to it, enough that a nicely weighted rock, gauged properly could be thrown from one line and accurately be able to remove a window and scare the bejesus out of an unsuspecting passenger. There are machines with touch screens that are happy to take your money and produce a ticket. They give change and can receive $5, $10, and $20 bills as well as able to speak 6 different languages with auditory instructions for the visually impaired. There are no turn stalls in the station so just walking on a train is quite easy, though there are Transit Cops who, if they catch you can fine you up to $100,but fines usually range from $30 to $100 dollars. Each Skytrain is also equipped with a map to assist your travel needs.

The West Coast Express

The West Coast Express is not transferable from the other parts of the transit system. It links Downtown Vancouver with Mission containing 6 other stops between them. Operating Monday to Friday and only during peak periods is handy for commuters but some water in your beer for daytime travelers. Promising “to get you to work, or where ever you’re going, quickly, comfortably and inexpensively.”, fares for this can range from $4.00 to $9.25 for adults and from $2.70 to $6.25 for children and seniors.

The Albion Ferry

The Albion Ferry crosses the Fraser River linking Fort Langley with Maple Ridge. Taking 150 passengers and 24 cars it allows walk on passengers and bikes as well as cars. It is considered part of the roads and highways and is thus provided free of charge. The trip is approximately 10 minutes. There are other routs by car that can be taken, though if caught at the exact moment the ferry can be a lot faster.

Using This transit system you can quickly travel within Vancouver and to the many surrounding cities. This will alow one to see the beauty of the sprawling city and the many rivers and ports,like the Fraser River, which has been forever the steping stone of Vancouvers economic growth.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2143270

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more