A Conversation for Talking Point: Giving Away the End

se7en

Post 1

HarpoNotMarx (((2*1)^6)-6-(2*8)=42

Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box, Brad Pitt coming over all vengeful!

Oh, and Kevin Spacey ending up dead again! [but American Beauty is funnier]

se7en

Post 2

U187265

Also, by killing young Gwynneth, John Doe had committed the sin of Envy (no. 6) and by killing Doe (which our man Brad does) he completes the set - No. 7 (Wrath) has been represented. Doe has completed his quest and, effectively the bad guy wins. Its quite disturbing and quite, quite brilliany when you watch it because in most films, you go all the way through with the comfort that everything will at least end up ok in the end. Not with this corker though!

Also, on the DVD, there is an alternative storyboarded ending where Somerset kills Doe before Mills has a chance to, thus stopping the completion of the crimes, as sacrifice is a virtue, not a sin. When Mills asks why, Somerset says something like "If you killed him, who would take over when I'm gone?"

Excellent stuff, but I do prefer the more evil ending. What do you think?

Ali

se7en

Post 3

skank monkey (upbeats only. shouting by special request) [night-who-ver?]isn't it annoying when somebody's name is longer than t

The more evil ending, naturally. We need more films where the baddies win smiley - evilgrin

I love this film - first time i saw it i was practically jumping up and down, yelling "Shoot him! Shoot the b^^&^*^&!". And not many films get me that worked up, generally. Although the bottle of Jack might have had somethign to do with that...

se7en

Post 4

Narapoia

I agree, the evil ending is better - I wasn't quite sure what the point of the alternative was - better go and watch it again I suppose!

se7en

Post 5

Deb

As far as I'm concerned the biggest surprise in Seven was Kevin Spacey turning up as the bad guy. I hadn't even realised he was in the film, and a few days before watching it my partner & I had been talking about how many films starring KS we'd seen recently. And then there he was! Our jaws dropped.

Deborah smiley - towel

se7en

Post 6

skank monkey (upbeats only. shouting by special request) [night-who-ver?]isn't it annoying when somebody's name is longer than t

Three days before i saw se7en, i'd just seen The Usual Suspects for the first time too. Naturally i was then convinced that Kevin Spacey is evil personified, Old Nick himself.

This week, i've watched One Hour Photo and Insomnia both on vid. Naturally i was then convinced that Robin Williams is evil personified, Beelzebub reborn.

I am beginning to notice something of a pattern here.

Hollywood = evil. Discuss.

se7en

Post 7

Lowmankind

I remember everyone telling me that I had to see this flick, and it was years before I eventually did. About a month before I saw it, one of my friends told me that Kevin Spacey was the murderer, and that pissed me off until I realised that that wasn't the point of the film.

But tell you what, how disappointing can an ending be? In an artistic sense, it is brilliant, but it was just sooooo predictable: Kev was making Brad (Pitt) really, really angry, continually saying how envious he was of Brad and Gwynneth. How obvious do you want it? There's 'Wrath' and 'Envy' right there, as was pointed out in a previous post.

Artistically brilliant, but hardly the surprise the director wanted it to be.

se7en

Post 8

Narapoia

Ah, but that moment when you realise what's in the box and know that he doesn't!!
Well I thought it was good.

Key: Complain about this post