Post 1

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

The phone has just rung!!.

Hoorah!!

And my darling daughter-in-law said.

"Maman, it's me. Lolly!"

I let out a screech and said

"But darling! How wonderful. what has happened!."

"I phoned up the telephone company and gave them the number of all the Direct debits, and all the other payments you had made and told them that you were in a wheelchair, and that you HAD to have a phone."

Apparently the phone company saidl

"But how do we know you are the daughter in law?"

Lolly said that she just blasted them off at that stage, and gave them the migration code, which could possibly have been the matter to persuade them to look into the various Direct Debit payments which I had sent to my son and daughter-in-law in order to persuade the powers that be that they had, in fact, been incorrect in not transferring my broadband to the one I wanted to change to (preposition!! smiley - sadface)

_ It sounds horribly like what happened to Phred Firecloud. The power of the nuge multinationals and Utility companies. TaKe overs are horrible for little people like me. We have no power. We just have to swallow what is dished up to us. Three phone companies and severs were involved in my case. All because one blinking broadband took over my beautiful little server. So now I have to change my email address. I went and looked at some computers this morning. They look so nice and neat. They are beautiful.

Ah well. I must just be grateful that I am last attached to a telephone a lifeline for people like K. and I.

Much affectionate smiley - love to you all

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

PPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS/
I GOT THROUGH RIGHT AWAY ONTO HOOTOO. NO MORE OF BEING TOLD THAT NOTHING IS RECOGNISED.
SO A
SECOND HOORRAH!!. smiley - biggrin

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 2

Websailor

Welcome back, Christiane,

I wondered where you had got to but hadn't realised you had no phone link either.

Glad you are back. Speak to you soon,

Must smiley - run

Websailorsmiley - dragon

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 3

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

Christiane smiley - hugsmiley - rosesmiley - cheesecake

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 4

Very dear WSsmiley - dragon and pheloxi,

thank you for the welcome back.
Much affection

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 5

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"Glad you made it back smiley - cheers"

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 6

Thank you Traveller in Timesmiley - tit Although Hootoo reverted back to not recognising my name or password until I had typed in my"secret".
Also there seems to be a problem with getting on line . One thing is that this long sad episode has taught me is to not panic and to go on trying every single little action until I come to find what I want. So in a sense I feel much more in control of the computer and am not so frightened of it!.

As I faced my first comouter in 1977 I would say that I am not the fastest learner n'est-ce pas?

Have a good Sunday
AlsoRan1 smiley - schooloffish

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 7

Websailor

Hi again, Christiane,

Yes, it does teach you smiley - dontpanic doesn't it? You have been a computer buff for so much long than me. You are clever. I think it is about six years now since my son gave me a computer for Mothers' Day and left me to itsmiley - rofl

Oh, and the fastest learners aren't necessarily the best. It is always said that you learn by your mistakes, and in some cases I know more about my computer than my sons because I have discovered things by accident that I would never have guessed at. My men tend not to read instructions either, before embarking on something new and get very frustrated when I insist on reading first!!

It has helped me take that smiley - dontpanic mode over in to RL (most of the time).

This morning started lovely then torrential rain rolled in for a couple of hours but now the sun is shining and the birds are singingsmiley - whistle. It's a funny old world. Have a good Sunday.

smiley - hug
Websailorsmiley - dragon

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Welcome back, Christiane! smiley - applausesmiley - bubblysmiley - cake

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 9

Scandrea

Welcome back, and yay on having the phone back on!

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT....

Post 10

Shea the Sarcastic

Glad you're connected to the rest of the smiley - earth again, AR1! smiley - hug

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more