This is the Message Centre for Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Graduation.

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

You have to wear white? Interesting. I alays thought that the graduation regalia was regulation black. never worn a motorboard until next year. what are they like? and good luck with graduating, how was ther practice run?

Clive smiley - smiley

Graduation.

Post 2

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Yep, white it is for girls. The school colors are blue and white so we follow that: guys wear blue and girls wear white, which means us ladies have to run out and find a light colored dress to wear for it. It's quite annoying. I think regulation black is mostly for colleges and universities... but I may be wrong. (If not, my graduation from uni will be quite interesting... the colors are red and tartan... maybe we'll wear kilts!!) Mortorboards are annoying...on mine there's a little elastic strip on the back side of the part that actually touches my head... so it doesn't fall off, I assume. I look like... I'm not sure. I look really funny with it on. (yep, first thing I did when I got home was try it on).

Practice went well... boring as all get out. It took about an hour to get everyone in order (we are seated in random order), and after that we had to "learn how to stand as a group and sit as a group". Painfully boring for someone who's been in choir for years and has done this forever. But to be honest, I really can't wait till tomorrow evening-- some of my friends are doing speeches and I really want to hear them, and quite seriously, I'm rather proud of myself. smiley - biggrin And I get to do it again in another four years. smiley - winkeye

Graduation.

Post 3

Jimi X

Yes congratulations!! You guys get out early. We're in session until 5 June. smiley - tongueout

Manheim Township eh? I work in Lower Dauphin and our kids suffer with white and blue as well. And yes, black is reserved for colleges/universities.

When I graduated (so long ago!) we were arranged by height. I've got to believe random must be better.

I'm still trying to figure out the red and tartan - Carnegie Mellon or Edinboro or someplace obvious that I'm not considering?

Anyway - good luck and well done. Thirteen years is a long time.

smiley - rose

- Jimi X
(whose eldest daughter is in the LDHS Class of 2013)

Graduation.

Post 4

Oh, God, you got me, Jimi... I'm a Manheim Township student... but not like the lot of them at all! Most of them are horrible snobs and I can't stand them... there are a few grounded people at Township, including the ones who led me here. smiley - smiley Just so you know... (my one friend at church constantly teases me about all my little general knowledge mistakes-- we've got the best Quiz Bowl team in quite a radius, and he hates me for it; also there's that huge competition/hate relationship between Township and Hempfield and just about every other district in the AAA league... makes trying to do anything between schools difficult. I'm glad I'll be away from that soon.).

Randomness is much better than by height... something my overly proud, coffee-drinking principal is far too happy to tote. Though with height, at least the girl/boy pairs would look nicer... I have two friends who are a pair for the procession and there's about a three foot difference between their heads. Looks a bit goofy. It's still better than alphabetical...

The red and tartan is from Radford University, in Radford, Virginia. Lovely little state school in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains, my mom's alma mater, too, and where my parents were married. (Yeah, I think that had a little something to do with getting... but the Honors Academy was my own doing! smiley - biggrin) They're called the Highlanders, and have a kilt-wearing Scotsman as their mascot... goofy, but neat. (Carnegie Mellon!? Wow, I'm amazed that you consider me that intelligent and have only spoken to me these two times...)

It's fourteen... had an extra year slipped in there between kindergarten and first because I was so shy the psychologist couldn't decide if I needed another year or not. Turns out, I could have skipped at least a year. *shrug*

smiley - smiley

Graduation.

Post 5

Jimi X

Heh.

Sounds like you just needed a hug. smiley - smiley

And going to college outside Pennsylvania? I didn't know that was done. smiley - laugh

- X
(a proud graduate of Indiana University of Pa who took the 3.5 year plan rather than spending a full four in college when he could be unemployed instead)

Graduation.

Post 6

today's the day! good luck Amy! smiley - biggrinsmiley - hug
__
smiley - smiley*

Graduation.

Post 7

Quite possibly all I really *did* need was a hug. To be sure, I get plenty now from all of you guys... smiley - hugs both just to make it two more. smiley - smiley

And, yes, I'm doing the unthinkable-- going to college outside of my "home" state. Well, it's not really my home state. I was born in Virginia, so I guess I'm just going home. I really found it funny that most of the people in my graduating class, despite their constant complaining of how boring Pennsylvania is and how badly they wanted to leave, are going to colleges rather closeby: Franklin and Marshall, Susquehanna, Penn State, Delaware (most of our graduates to to either Penn State or Delaware), Ursinus, U Penn, etc. And then there's me... all the way to hick-ville Virginia. smiley - winkeye I'm glad though; I'm hoping for something very different from MT, and hopefully different in a good way. smiley - biggrin

___
smiley - smiley*
(ungraduated)

___
*smiley - smiley
(graduated!)

Graduation Party!

Post 8

Yael Smith

People- the girl's graduating and nobody does nothing about it!!!
Shame!

smiley - bubbly
Here's to Amy- may you enjoy the rest of ypour Academic life and find fun in other areas as well!smiley - smiley

Luna and Elly

Graduation Party!

Post 9

YAY!!!

(I have "Hanging by a Moment" stuck in my head at the moment and that's a good song to jump up and down to!)

Graduation Party!

Post 10

smiley - bubbly

Graduation Party!

Post 11

Yael Smith

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Does anyone else have a weird connection today?

Graduation Party!

Post 12

smiley - erm like what?

Graduation Party!

Post 13

Shea the Sarcastic

smiley - bubbly to you, my dear! smiley - hug from me ... big sloppy smiley - kiss from Lycaon!

When I graduated from high school, the boys wore black and the girls wore white ... thank goodness, because the school colors were orange and black, and I can't begin to imagine what I would have looked like in an orange gown! smiley - yuk

They supposedly arranged us by height, but my friends and I all wanted to sit together, so we stood on tip-toe and crouched down so we'd all be seated together! It didn't really matter, because half the girls wear heels, and the other half don't so your height is different on graduation day, anyway! smiley - silly

Graduation Party!

Post 14

parrferris

I envy you, Amy. In Britain we never used to have any real ceremony to mark the completion of our schooling (at least not back when I left, circa 1843). On our last day at the end of the exams, a group of us went to the pub, and various small parties were held. Several weeks later, we trudged up to the school in some trepidation to see our results posted. The certificates just arrived in the post, no ceremony, no celebration, no closure...

I trust that now you're officially a 'brain' you will still be willing to talk to us thickoes? smiley - winkeye

Graduation Party!

Post 15

T J: Mr. Shea

Speak for yourself PF. I actually have quite skinny toes!

Now my knuckles on the other hand do have a tendancy to drag on the ground when I walk.

*finally realizes that PF said thickoes, not thicktoes*

Graduation Party!

Post 16

Anyway, WAY TO GO AMY!!! smiley - smiley

Graduation Party!

Post 17

Shea the Sarcastic

::pictures skinny toes, and abnormally long arms::

Graduation Party!

Post 18

parrferris

...*prehensile* toes and abnormally long arms....smiley - winkeye

Oh, and if I didn't say it, which I thought I did but maybe I didn't:

Amy, you're a smiley - star!

But then, I always thought that anyway!

Graduation Party!

Post 19

*concurs highly with PF!* smiley - starsmiley - star

Graduation Party!

Post 20

*practically in tears*

Awww, you guys... *smiley - hug and smiley - smooch and smiley - kiss for all appropriate people* You have no idea how surprised I was to come on here and see the forum had doubled... smiley - blush

*catches smiley - stars and puts them in a jar to look at* Pretty!

Now! For the smiley - bubbly and smiley - cake!

Key: Complain about this post