This is the Message Centre for Mrs Zen

Orthogonally parked in a parallel universe

Post 121

Mrs Zen

I'm keeping a very light eye on this conversation because of time constraints.

What I will say is that, having done taxonomy work in the past, the essential thing is to test it - ie to take examples of the stuff you want to categorise and see where it fits in the categories.

Ben

Post 122

Milla, h2g2 Operations

You're right too, TRiG.

I struggle, to be honest. For this, I'd like to have a good old fashioned face to face workshop.

I will look at things again.

smiley - towel

Post 123

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I wish I could have a vote functionality!

(add to URS, Milla...)

Anyway:
1) Do we collectively believe in the Unified Guide Thingy?
i.e. All approved entries, previous Underguide and previous Edited Entries (Approved Entries) go in the Guide together, and not separated?

2) Do we allow a mix of them in all categories, or do we still separate by category?
My suggestion in the googledoc was to have previous Underguide under Life, and previous Edited under The Universe, but I am doubting my own suggestion. Ben has written some entries that ended up in UG, but she intended them for EG.
Do we actually need to tag fact and fiction as such? Will it not be obvious?

Haragai, I'm sorry I am not sure how best to update the google doc with marked changes. Right now the whole thing changes...

TRiG, thanks for the tip about removing the "s" for the links. Will try.
smiley - towel

Post 124

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I think we *do* have to tag fact and fiction. Sure, it will be obvious when you read it in *most* cases. But it would be good to see what it is before you start reading. If you only want factual Entries you should be able to see immediately which Entries are interesting for you when you open a category. Maybe they have different icons next to the name, maybe the text has a different color, something like that. It would maybe also be a good idea to have a button in the categories that shows you only fact/fiction Entries in the list.

Post 125

Mrs Zen

For voting, there is always survey monkey: http://www.surveymonkey.com

I've not seen any real objections to the UGT, so long as it's clear if an entry is

fact
anecdote
opinion
analysis
fiction
poetry
other
and maybe reportage

humour (can also be fact / anecdote / opinion etc)

Don't worry too much about categorising the entries. It's not the most urgent task - we have categories at the momment we can use. It's better we take our time and get this right. Also - we need to work out how if it can e automated or semi-automated using a script or some sort of tool, so if we can't do that then it's a huge task. And finally, I am hoping that we can get one of the librarians here on the site to help us. I've spoken to them offsite and each of them is crazy-busy at the moment.

So don't fret about the categorising. It may be enough to say we want to categorise entries

+ by genre (every entry can have a genre, right?)
+ by location (some entries relate to a place)
+ by historical period (again, if appropriate)
+ by subject or discipline (chemistry, politics, mental health, etc)

And after that we just add specific tags to help the search engine.

Oh, and we intend to use the exisiting life / universe / everything categories or repurpose them in some way.

I honestly think that's enough for the documentation as it stands, though it needs a couple of paragraphs into Word so we can include it in the Big Scary Document.

Maybe a diagram or a chart or two?

Ben

Post 126

Mrs Zen

Oh, genre could be

fact
anecdote
opinion
analysis
fiction
poetry
reportage
review (I'd forgotgten review)
and
other

Post 127

Haragai

Milla,
You can use typography to indicate changes like strikethrough for parts deleted and bold for parts added/changed.
This will indicate to those familiar with the document what has changed.
If you share the document (with a select group) and give the participants the right to edit the document all can see the revision history (under the File menu - Show revision history) in pretty colours.

Cheerio!

Post 128

Haragai

Mrs.Zen,
SurveyMonkey costs serious pecunias if you want to be able to ask kore than 10 questions and if you wnat/expect more than 100 responses.
We have a survey-tool up, running and ready to go and it can be populated with questions fairly quick so the time it takes to go from idea, to list of questions & responses to putting it up for the Researchers can be really short.

Cheerio!

Post 129

Milla, h2g2 Operations

OK. Nevermind the surveys for now, and I'll let the document rest a little.

all h2g2c3 members can edit (I HOPE!) if not ask for personal rights.
Anyone with link can view.

link again
http://docs.google.com/document/d/1IvYL4p-NYYxlz-6dnGPrNCfiVnscX-LRq8yp8X7gBLc/edit?hl=sv&authkey=CNeF9rkK

smiley - towel

Post 130

Haragai

I iz in yur doocumant, makin tsjanzes...
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Be Aware everyone that this document is just a starting-point and we are working to make it an Entry in the Magrathea's Workshop soonest (probably by Monday/Sodit).

smiley - cheers! Martin
--- I got this itchy feeling in the resistors in my right ear

Post 131

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

I thought with the change to Burlesque that the "Life, The Universe and Everything" categories had been disbanded.

I do not think that those categories are useful. We should rewrite the categories. Maybe into "schools"

The Guide
- Science and Philosophy
= Biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, philosophy, sociology, medicine, astrology etc

- Human Experience
= biographies, opinion, reviews, memoirs, poetry, personal experience, history, politics

- Art and literature
= Prose, photographs, how to guides,

- Travel and Tourism
= Things to see and do, places to visit, local interest, geotagged entries

just my smiley - 2cents and I know theres probably stuff missing, but you get my drift?

minismiley - mouse

Post 132

Haragai

The document is now in the second section (below the double line) in Entry A81968890 .
Read, comments, curses et al. over there please.

smiley - cheers! Martin
--- I got this itchy feeling in the resistors in my right ear

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mrs Zen

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more