A Conversation for The h2g2 Events Calendar

U.S. Field Researchers - Please read!

Post 1

Zach Garland

The Rounders gathering is a great idea if you happen to live in England, or have the Frequent Flyer miles to make an appearance, but what about the rest of us?

If you happen to live in the states, please respond to this message if you'd be interested in an American h2g2ish get-together. Perhaps we can coordinate several together on or near the same day. I would like to help organize one in the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas if there's enough h2g2 Field Researchers in this area. Perhaps others could organize or host get-togethers in New York, California, and any state in which there are Douglas Adams fans.

When you respond to this message, be sure to mention what part of the country you're in, and what you can do to help with a get-together.

Here in Dallas, there's a place called "Dave and Busters" which has good food, a great bar, and an arcade that would certaintly guarantee a good time had by all. Perhaps we can hold a party there. If there's enough people interested, I'll give the place a call and see what's needed to set up a date there.

Post 2

kalu

this is a great idea zach, and as a fellow Texan, i salute you
ok, enough of that. i am in Austin, but will be in the dfw area next friday, and will definitely show up if you want to set it up for that day (and there are enough people to go). if thats not possible, thats fine. i am going to do a separate post for an austin gathering, although i dont know if i will do a place like dave and busters (although it is a lot of fun, i am only a college student, and therefore poor). i think i will see how many people are in austin before i go and decide what would be a good place.
anyway, let us all know (hopefully more people will see about this)

kalu

Post 3

Sandwich Maker

I live in the upstate New York area near Albany and am close to New York City and Boston, so would love to be a part of any gatherings in those areas. don't know if there are enough of us up here but if so, would like to do it around here as well. Any takers?

Post 4

kat

all you guy are too far away from where i live, although i do have connections to both Austin and upstate NY. My mom grew up in Austin and my dad in Wappingers Falls, NY. Know where that is Sandwich maker? its near Pougkipsee, which is about 3hrs from Buffalo

Post 5

Sandwich Maker

I know where Poughkeepsie is. It is about 1 1/2 hours from me. Texas connections.....I have a friend in Houston but only for the summer and a friend in the Navy in Corpus Christi, not sure how those relate with Austin. But with enough notice I can show up anywhere. PAAAAAAAAARTY!!!!!!!!!

Post 6

Classic Krissy

Just chillin' in Chicago. Grant Park picnic (with beer) anyone?

Post 7

Zach Garland

Kalu, I don't think a week from Friday is enough notice to set up something. It may take six weeks to two months to put together anything definite. We need more interested individuals in Texas first off, before we can even set a date, time or place.

Place being, if the majority of interested individuals live in Austin, it would be logical to set up the get together in Austin, even though that means it's doubtful I could make it. If there's more people in Corpus Christi, it'd make sense to have it there. If we're all scattered throughout the state, it just may not be feasible to do this at all.

As for the rest of you, here's a suggestion: if you're the first person from your state to respond, you can choose to volunteer for the position of head organizer for a h2g2.com gathering in your area. Do some searches in h2g2.com to see if you can find other people from your state. Read a few user pages and look around for others in your area. Invite them to attend and participate. Unless you happen to be made of money, look around in your community for ways you could do this that would take little to no money at all.

And remember to post regularly in this thread to keep us updated, and to allow the people running the Event Calendar to have the latest information about your gathering.

Post 8

Zach Garland

i don't know why I didn't mention this before. Guess the thought didn't immediately occur to me. Kalu? If you're gonna be in the Dallas Fort Worth area next Friday, let me know where and when we can meet. We can get together for a drink maybe or something. Granted it'd just be the two of us and anyone else who reads this who wanted to show up. Sounds like fun.

I work friday nights though, so it would have to be like a brunch thing or something.

Post 9

kalu

you are right zach, if there arent enough people in one area, we should set up a big get together for several weeks in advance that everyone can get to (or most people). when i find some time, i will go to other austinites pages to let them know what we are trying to do. as for me coming up to dfw, i am still not sure that i am coming up, but if i do it will be next thursday for the dave matthews concert, and then i will be in fort worth (where my family lives) until probably friday evening. i have to get back to austin, because i have my radio show (college radio) on saturday morning. so i dont know if we could meet, but once i am sure that i am going, i will let you know.

kalu

Post 10

Koenig

Oddly enough, I'll be in Grant Park this weekend. I've never been there before (but then, I'm new here). Sadly I have plans then, but I'd be up for something in Chicago in the future.

CA

Post 11

Rathgrith - Researcher 36670

Anyone from California? I'm in West Hollywood, and I spend a good deal of time in Northern California as well.

Anyone? Anyone?

Post 12

Researcher 38642

I live in the unfashionable part of texas called San Antonio. It would seem to be an interesting event to meet with other researchers but Dallas is not a good choice. Bad Karma. What about a more central and improbable location like Austin?.

Post 13

kalu

ummm, hmm. i started a topic separate about austin, but apparently it is too far down to see. no worries, for i will reply here. there seem to be quite a few of us in texas, and (luckily), a few in the san antonio/austin area (ok, i know that they are 1.5 hours apart, but still) so we are looking for all Texas people, to know where the majority live, so that we could maybe set up a state wide get together. even if that doesnt happen, we could still sched some smaller ones, for a couple of cities. get the word out to the texans (see zachs ideas on the first post on how to find more ppl), and lets see what we can accomplish.
ok, i am really tired (just saw orbital, crystal method, and lo fidelity allstars amazing show, but dead), so it is time to finish this email. keep up the faith, my brothers (and sisters). speaking of which, any FEMALE texans out there?? (just curious)

kalu

Post 14

gibbergeist

hey, i live in batavia, a tiny crummy little town about an hour from buffalo...anyone live near there?
just wildly curious...

Chicago... your kinda town?

Post 15

Nano

Yep, all of what really HAPPENS goes down in good ol' Chicago... Yessiree. So, what we need here, is between ten and nine hundred million researchers to be in or near Chicago at the same time... So far, I think I've counted 3 chicago posts in here, including my own, so it's looking grim. Jeezu, Chicago's branch of MENSA is probably larger and more party-organizing than us here....

Weep. Adams fans, UNITE, (obviously to become the super-ultra-mega-thunder-zord-man-robot)....

Post 16

Amanda

Alrighty - Well if everything goes as planned for me, I'll be in Oklahoma City and back at OU by the end of August. And as all Longhorns and Okies know, Oklahoma is nothing more than a big ol' suburb of Texas (unless the R.R. Rivalry is going on...) smiley - smiley So if you guys still plan on doing something around that time, let me know.

Until then, if anything happens to go down in or around the St. Louis/ Chicago areas, that would be great!

And what the heck is a "rounder", anyway?

Post 17

Chasmo

Hey there is a Dave & Buster's here in Philly also. Not to mention South Street. Which I see is already listed in the Guide, so there has got to be another Philadelhian here.... Hmmm, by the looks of it there are 4.5 Million! Wow! I hope they have extra chairs....

Post 18

Classic Krissy

Re: Amanda in Chicago...Pish and Piffle I say! That girl has been yakking on and on about this "supposed" trip to Chicago and I have seen neither hide nor hair of her! I'm actually beginning to doubt she exists!

With regards to a Chicago get together in Grant Park in the next month or so, I am reluctantly volunteering to help (HELP mind you) orchestrate the event. Although I cannot be trusted fully or even partially and I OBVIOUSLY can't spell orchestrate properly, if you are interested in attending a Chicago event, please email me here:

[email protected]

and we'll see what we can do.

Post 19

saffire

dont know if i could ever join in a get together but it seems cool.....just wondering if there are any
researchers from the connecticut area????????

Post 20

Amanda

"Pish and Piffle"? LOL! Can I use that sometime? That Limey bo-hunk of yours is rubbing off on your grammar, young lady. (Not to mention a few other things if you know what I mean! Wink wink!)

I'm trying terribly hard to find the funds (and time!) for Chicago before I move, but trust me, you'll be the first to know when I get there...lucky, lucky you. smiley - smiley Maybe you should just visit me in St. Louis and we'll...go up in the Arch and...look at buildings. And stuff. Woo-hoo. Woo.

Key: Complain about this post