A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Tax Returns

Post 1

SpoonMan

My wife told me to do an on-line tax return, as I have been contracing for the past year or so and she said we might get some tax relief.

Fine I thought, until I realised I've never done a tax return, on-line or otherwise so I haven't the foggiest idea where to begin and what I need to complete one.

If anyone is good with this sort of thing then it would help so many people (I know my Father turns the air blue every year when the taxman rears his ugly head).

I wouldn't be able to help much myself because, as I mentioned, I don't have the first clue about such things, but I'd be happy to throw ideas around where I can.

Tax Returns

Post 2

SEF

I've been doing the online tax return ever since they started ... and every year the software, website or the Inland Revenue messes up in at least one new way. smiley - erm

Tax Returns

Post 3

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Now then...Tax Returns....my speciality smiley - winkeye NOT!!!

You need any P60's, Tax Certificates from any bank/building society accounts you hold. (always figuring out whether any of the bank accounts are in joint names or not. If so, you only put down half the interest received).

do you have any dividends? Put that down too.

If you do any Gift Aids, they get marked off against your allowance as too.

Do you claim any benefits?

The best thing you can possibly do is go have a chat with an accountant. They will usually give the first consultation free of charge. If your wife doesn't work, it may well be that any interest that has been charged on her bank accounts could be repayable.

Again...the best thing you can do is go have a chat with an accountant. It's usually no obligation (in fact, I'm darn sure it is).

The online service at the Revenue usually gets disrupted too. Best stay clear of that if you can, unless you know what you're doing.

Tax Returns

Post 4

Z

Don't take advice off just anyone, especially not people you meet online, taxation is a horribly complicated area.

I would personally prefer to do it on paper, because then you can show the form to other people first.

I'd also ring up my local tax office and ask for advice: they might be able to send you a leaflet or two, and all the right forms.

The Citazen's Advice Beaureux might also be able to help, or at least advise on where to find a cheap tax adviser/accountant.

Tax Returns

Post 5

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Just make an appointment with your local Accountant...Problem solved.

Tax Returns

Post 6

I'm not really here

I did a tax return for a boyfriend who owned a business once. I was stunned how easy it was. Just fill in the boxes with the figures from your books (which you have kept, right?) and hey presto, off it goes...

Tax Returns

Post 7

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I've always got the kind person in the Tax office to fill it out for me. The thing that's always left me baffled was the amount of sections you *don't* need to fill in. It's a lot more daunting until you narrow down how little you actually need to do.

Tax Returns

Post 8

Mrs Zen

This is what accountants are for.

B

Tax Returns

Post 9

GreyDesk

And I am available at a reasonable rate smiley - smiley

Tax Returns

Post 10

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

www.hmrc.gov.uk

Or visit an enquiry centre. Don't bother 'phoning though - you'll get passed from pillar to post. As someone said earlier, most of the boxes can be ticked 'no' (unless you're the director of a multinational with your fingers in numerous pies, in which case you'll probably have an accountant).

Accountants: get one if you like, but if it's your first SA100 the IR will give you all the help you need for FREE! Always keep copies of EVERYTHING you give to an accountant, and check a week before any deadlines that stuff has been sent in. If they 'forget', YOU get the £100 fine, not them.

Key: Complain about this post