A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

States and Territories of Australia

Post 1

U168592

What with the counties of England being a focus currently it sparked an interest in a collection of h2g2 Entries regarding the States and Territories of Australia, before and after federation. That is, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, South Australia and Tasmania.

There is already an Entry on Western Australia A143768, but a nice h2g2 Uni Project might be a way of getting the others compiled and into the EG. Any takers? I am happy to help, but couldn't write anything myself as I'm rather busy with other projects at the moment.

MJ

Post 2

SchrEck Inc.

There's also A721243, a really nice one, but it's more about beer than anything else.

Removed

Post 3

TheSwoose

This post has been removed.

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I've asked for that last posting to be hidden, as it is copied from the web and is therefore a copyright violation.

Post 5

I'm not really here

I thought moderation was supposed to have at least some degree of confidentiality. smiley - erm

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Did I do something wrong, Ideno? People should be aware that it's not ok to cut and paste from other places on the web.

Post 7

I'm not really here

Not technically, but the reason the name is hidden along with the message is so that people who might have broken the rules accidently aren't shamed and humiliated, so although you didn't mention a name, adding the reason doesn't seem to be in the spirit of things. The member will get an email stating the reason why it was removed.

Others should be reading the rules.

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

They should be, but they aren't. It comes as a complete surprise to most people that they are not allowed copy other people's stuff. I won't mention the fact that I have yikesed stuff again.

Post 9

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Actually Gnomon please do mention again. One of the things that can help keep the contiuity of a thread is if the yikeser says what they have done and why. Obviously there are situations where one wouldn't want to do this, but I think in this thread it was helpful.

The email one gets from the Mods is often generic enough to *not explain why a post has been removed.

Post 10

U168592

Is anyone syill interested in doing something like this? The UK Counties project got some interest, maybe the ex-pats and OZ Researchers can come up with some fun stuff smiley - smiley

Post 11

U168592

Well, I've finally done it. All the Australian States have an Entry in Peer Review now, but I'm still looking for people to write about the Territories (Northern and Australian Capital).

Anyone who knows these places up for it?

Post 12

auspony

Sorry,don't know anything about the NT. Only what we hear on the news,then it's mostly trouble with the Aboriginals tho' they do seem to be getting more 'in tune' with things!
I live just outside (13kms)of Albury,in NSW. The largest inland city in NSW.
A good go-ahead place with plenty of opportunities,a chronic shortage of Doctors and,ofcourse,no Government help!!
The 'village' I live in is called Jindera.No one knows where the name came from but the area was first settled by German farmers in the early 1780's,I think,don't quote me on that,I'm no historian!
The original settlers were farmers and vintners they came from SA mostly ,I think.The main religion here was Lutheran,as is the local school,which my Graddaughter attends!There is also a Public School,a Catholic church and a Cof E ,so all are catered for!
We now have a small shopping centre,Supermarket,butcher,chemist+gifts,bakery (the best cream cakes ever!)and a Shire Office.
Anyone wants more information I can get it from said office or our museum!smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post