A Conversation for Devon, England, UK

UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 1

Paully

We already have an entry about Devon in the Edited Guide - A203671 - but it is very old and could do with a major update and overhaul. So does anyone know this part of the world very well? We'd love you to help us out in writing a new and better guide to this lovely county. smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

Consider me volunteered!

smiley - cider

Post 3

Paully

Hurrah! Well done, Skankyrich!

But don't let that put off anyone else from volunteering any particular dates, locations, sights or famous people to this thread - it'll be lovely to get some more suggestions! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 4

parrferris

Anything I can do to help, Skankyrich? It's a huge county with a huge history!

Oddly enough I'd been considering volunteering to write a replacement entry on Devon, having found it unfit to link to from my Sidmouth entry. Of course, it would probably have taken me two years to get around to writing it, as usual.

Post 5

C Hawke

Yep, I will help too - so if whoever starts adds the entry to this forum, we'll see it and start adding/commenting etc.

CHawke

Post 6

Paully

Hi Parrferris!

Your precise problem with linking from your Sidmouth entry is one of the main reasons why we've launched this project. It'll be great to have a 'base' entry for every county from which other entries can be linked. Hurrah!

Paully

Post 7

Skankyrich [?]

I thought you'd be along sooner or later smiley - biggrin

Funny enough, I've been wanting to update the Devon entry too, it's bloody rubbish isn't it? I'm sure between us we can come up with a brilliant entry on this fine country smiley - smiley

I'm off to work soon but when I get home I'll create a basic entry, outline headers, subheaders and prospective links. Once that's in place, you or any other contributors can simply post paragraphs on different theme here for me to paste in. Sound ok?

smiley - cider

Post 8

C Hawke

PS if nothing else it needs to reference these A799428A644627 and A500473 (ok so two of them are part mine smiley - smiley )

CHawke

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

Obviously I meant county, not country smiley - blush

Post 10

Paully

Well volunteered, Skankyrich! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 11

Skankyrich [?]

I will aim to have a link to the bare bones here by tomorrow morning smiley - ok

Post 12

parrferris

That sounds like a sensible way of doing it. I'll probably be along tomorrow evening...

Post 13

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Well there are lots of excellent Devon based entries that you can link to...

Number 6's entries on the best football team in Devon Plymouth Argyle are very good. Then there is the one on the Giant prawn in Plymouth.

Post 14

Skankyrich [?]

OK, the bare bones are at A6021505.

I've outlined the entry into sections and found relevant links to add when material comes in. Please feel free to write about any part of the entry as it stands, let me know what subheader you think it should go under, and I'll do a sub's job on it, add it and credit you as a co-writer. If you know a Devon link that I don't, (internal or external) post it and I'll add it. Guidance on each section is in italics where appropriate.

Initially, please try to post paragraphs that will fit under the headings already on the page - or suggest alternative headings if you have other work to add. For now, anything that doesn't directly fit will just go under the final 'anything else' section for proper filing later - unless there are better ideas smiley - ok Ferrettbadger, I've got the Argyle links but if there's something about a giant prawn in Plymouth, you've have to write a few introductory lines and give me a link to the entry - if I don't insist on that, I can see I'll have to do all the linking and typing myself smiley - smiley

Finally, remember we have a county here to be truly proud of - I'm very fond of going to the Lake District and telling them how fantastic the place is and that Cumbria is definately, absolutely, beyond the doubt the finest and most beautiful county in England apart from Devon. To avoid a fight at this stage, I point out that they get points deducted for Sellafield and the M6. This is a real opportunity to make this page the best guide to Devon anywhere in the world - and it's down to you. Put some love into it, get all your wonderful knowledge of the local high points into type and give our county the entry it deserves.

smiley - cider

Post 15

C Hawke

cool - I'll have to stop myself writing at work smiley - biggrin

AS someone who spent many years in facts and figures relating to the SW I'll tweak the numbers for you, get the latest (2004) figure and stuff.

One thing we need to define is what is Devon.

As a political entity "Devon" doesn't include Plymouth and Torbay. The "Devon" that we think of, hasn't existed for about 10 years.

Again, I'll write some stuff on that as it is what I know.

There's an Exmouth entry at A224542 which may be required.

CHawke

Post 16

Ok I will go and have a look at that giant prawn entrie and come up with something.

In the meantime can I be cheeky and plug two of my own "devon" related entries?

A1146098 that can go in the "sport" section, about the mighty "Greenbank Wanderers" in the Plymouth and West Devon sunday league.

and

A1165510 that can go in smiley - erm the leisure section it is an entry about the finest (IMHO) public house in all of Devon (and mayby beyond smiley - winkeye) the "Seymour Arms".

Post 17

How about something along the lines of:-

"One of Plymouth and therefore Devon's newest and most unusual tourist attractions is the somewhat puzzeling Giant Metal Prawn, firther details can be found at A2313145"

?

Post 18

Skankyrich [?]

Thats fine, FB smiley - ok I'd already found your pub entry - it's in the pubs and restaurants section - and I've put the link to the football team with it, for now.

C, as a physical entity it does include Torbay and Plymouth, though smiley - smiley I'll add a 'Political Devon' section if you want me to, so you can expand on this. Sound ok?
I'd already found the Exmouth link; it's there under 'East Devon Coast' smiley - ok

Cheers guys!

Post 19

C Hawke

added the text to the entry page already.

Post 20

smiley - cool

Key: Complain about this post