A Conversation for Devon, England, UK

UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 41

C Hawke

PS these are 2002 Experimental Mid Year Estimates from ONS

CHawke


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 42

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I have some good info on Tavistock and I will type something up either later on tonight or in the morning if that is ok?


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 43

Skankyrich [?]

Great, FB; I've reserved that section for you on the page smiley - ok


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 44

Skankyrich [?]

C, I've added your population statistics in the 'Bare Facts' section and added a new header 'Political Devon' for a slightly edited version of your work from the other thread smiley - ok You're also added as a Researcher for the entry; thank you very much for your work so far and please, please keep it coming!

I'll leave the 2000 statistics there for now as they highlight a seperate point; if you feel like bringing the numbers more up to date, that would be marvellous smiley - smiley

Just one more thing; where does Lundy Island fit into the the political view?


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 45

C Hawke

Lundy is part of Devon, it hasn't any separate status thike the Scillies.

CHawke


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 46

Number Six

Of course, the Devon flag - a white horizontal cross on a green background... I love it, but then as a Plymouth Argyle fan I would.

smiley - mod


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 47

C Hawke

Skankyrich.

OK, I've checked the 2004 figures against the statements you've made and they remain accurate.

Full exact figures if you wanted;

Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay 481502 people in 18940 ha
The rest, 593417 people in 651909 ha

CHawke




UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 48

C Hawke

PS they remain ,like all population figures INCLUDING the census just the best estimate we have.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 49

C Hawke

The Jurassic Coast

The 95 miule stretch of coast from Exmouth in East Devon to Lyme Regis in Dorset was the first natural World Heritage site and one of only 26 Heritage sites in the UK. This was designated by UNESCO's World Heritage Committee (http://whc.unesco.org) in 2001 because of its outstanding geology.

The Jurassic Coast is considered the only place that allows visitors to view over 185 million years of geological history. Despite its name it covers the older Triassic period to the more recent cretaceous periods.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 50

Mol - on the new tablet

OK, I found my project, and it was on a 3½ inch floppy *and* written in a word processor I still use. I've edited out all the references to the maps and plates, and I'm not sure if what's left is any use - and there's an awful lot of it!!! A6057506 but put on the kettle before you start.

I'd forgotten that although I read up on all of Devon's history from the Romans onwards, I focussed on the modern period (say 1750 on) for the project, which is all I have left. I'll trawl the bookshelves next. The Romans only got as far as Exeter if I remember rightly, pushing the ?celts before them, and then it was the Dark Ages, but there were a few "new towns" - I think - and then 4 mints. Not mints. But they had something to do with coins and were terribly important. Exeter, Totnes (Totnes is interesting anyway for its layout), and two others .. I should stop torturing myself and go and check, really.

Still, some of what I wrote might be useful in a general context. But I won't be smiley - wah if it all ends up being politely rejected on the grounds of being a bit detailed and academic and generally useless without the photos!

Mol


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 51

Mol - on the new tablet

There are foundations of Bronze Age settlements on Dartmoor

15th C church at Widecombe "The Cathedral of the Moor"

Salcombe "The most southerly resort in England"

Brixham harbour, where William of Orange landed in 1666 when he came to accept the English crown.

Exeter Guildhall the oldest municipal building in England and Northernhay gardens one of the first public parks. Cor, if I'd known that at the time I'd probably have used it. Damn.

Incredibly old clock in Exeter cathedral, and also a catflap at the bottom of ... something ...

Burghs! They were burghs, not mints. Established in Saxon times. Terribly important for reason which now escapes me. Only 8 Norman castles in the county. 12/13th C, sixty "new towns" created in Devon (most not now recognisable as such). Mid 19th C, the Devon Great Consols was the richest copper mine in the world (didn't know that, either).

Hmm. Isn't it frightening what I've forgotten in 10 years. Still, it's not like I need to know Devonian history every day.

Mol


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 52

Skankyrich [?]

smiley - wow That's great stuff! Thank you very much for contributing it all; I'll wade through all the more technical stuff and edit it down a little. I think most of it is usable, certainly smiley - smiley Its actually a very inspiring read, in parts! I'd like to find places for most of it; some will be suitable as introductions, some as main parts of the text.

Thank you very much again, Mol, owe you a smiley - cider!


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 53

Skankyrich [?]

Mol, for now I've just dropped sections into the relevant parts and it fits extremely well - I'm not sure that I'll have to edit much of what I've put in, so even better smiley - smiley I've added a seperate 'Industry' section for the fishing and (probably) agricultural bits - I will edit these parts to keep the focus more specifically on the relevant industries, though.

Just one small error I noticed in your text - the Haytor quarries ran down the route of the modern Templar Way through Bovey to the river Teign; it was the Swell Tor/King's Tor/Foggintor area that had a line running to Morwellham. But I'm sure we'll forgive you that smiley - winkeye

Thanks again!


I've also added C's passage on the Jurassic Coast smiley - ok Thank you for that!


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 54

parrferris

I've written a few lines on the South Hams - don't know how useful you'll find it! I've avoided too much detail so as not to discourage any future entries. Apologies for not offering more so far - I've been up to my neck in work this week, plus my fly-by-night ISP suddenly closed my account again the other day. Anyway, let me know if it's any use or if there's anything I could add.

_____________________________________________________________

The South Hams, Devon’s southernmost district, covers some 350 square miles between Torbay and Plymouth. The landscape is characterised by exposed hills and deep sheltered valleys running from Dartmoor and developing into ria ‘estuaries’ as they near the sea. The best known and largest of these are the Dart and Kingsbridge estuaries. Most of the area’s 60 miles of craggy coastline is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; notable features are the Slapton Ley freshwater lagoon, Start Point and Burgh Island.

There are over sixty civil parishes in the South Hams. The council is based in Totnes, which is the area’s oldest town but right on its eastern periphery. The other main towns are the port of Dartmouth, the market town of Kingsbridge, Salcombe, Modbury and Ivybridge, which has become in effect a dormitory of Plymouth. The sheer size and geography of this area, as well as any lack of historical basis to its existence, make the South Hams the least cohesive of the county’s administrative districts.

A large area of the South Hams, including villages such as Slapton, Strete, Torcross and Blackawton, was evacuated during World War 2 to allow training for D-day. In an infamous wartime tragedy, German E-boats killed some 750 US servicemen off the coast here during rehearsals for the landings on Utah Beach.

As with much of Devon, traditional industries of fishing and dairy farming, whilst far from extinct, have been usurped by tourism. Dartmouth and Salcombe have become fashionable yachting centres and are now noted for extremely high house prices and a high level of second home ownership.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 55

Skankyrich [?]

Perfect, Parferris, and added smiley - smiley Right length and right detail!

If you do get chance (no pressure) FB has started the East Devon Coast with a section about the Jurassic Coast - if you get chance to add anything on the towns up your way (however brief) I'd really appreciate it. I'm very dodgy on my knowledge of this part of Devon (and the Honiton and Exeter areas, if anyone else is reading smiley - smiley) and would find it quite difficult to 'fill in' these bits.

If you're too busy, it's totally understood; I haven't had time to add 'Torbay' yet, and I live here smiley - laugh


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 56

Paully

This is all quite, QUITE outstanding work, everyone! Keep it up! smiley - smiley

Paully


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 57

parrferris

I'll put together a few further notes for the Jurassic Coast as soon as possible. One correction to what's already been posted though - the Jurassic Coast extends all the way to the far side of the Isle of Purbeck. Exmouth to Lyme Regis can't be 25 miles, though it'd feel like 95 if you tried to do it by bus!

If no-one else is willing or able to put something together for Honiton, I'll give it a try. It's not far from here, after all.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 58

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Sorry about Tavistock net yet being forthcoming... It has been a mad house at Maison Ferrettbadger, however I shall get on the case as soon as I finish work.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 59

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

How about:-

Tavistock is situated on the river Tavy from which it derives its name. The town was formed around its Benidictine Abbey which was ofunded by the Earl of Devonshire in 974AD.

Tavistock has traditionally been a market town and an important commerce centre in Devon. It had a pannier market by Royal decree as early as 1105AD. The current market building dates from the mid 19C.

The main claim to fame of Tavistock is that it is the birthplace of Sir Francis Drake, the regional hero who defeated the Spanish Armada.

Today Tavistock is a thriving town with a population of around 11,000. Two important and prestigious regional schools "Tavistock College" and "Kelly College" are both situated in the town.

That do?


UK Counties & Regions - England - Devon

Post 60

Mol - on the new tablet

I shall email my old professor regarding the Haytor track forthwith smiley - biggrin

Thank you for the kind words. By an amazing coincidence, this weekend I found the folder of notes that I thought I'd thrown out. So there might be some more (earlier) history on its way.

Mol


Key: Complain about this post