A Conversation for Talking Point: Etiquette

Chivalry is'nt quite dead, yet.

Post 1

FordsTowel

Are these attributes a thing of the dim and distant past? Or is it time to reintroduce the age of chivalry and respect for our fellow human?

* When was the last time someone was genuinely courteous to you?
- Happens pretty regularly, actually.

* Holding a door open for a member of the opposite sex: outmoded sexism or just common decency?
- I'll hold the door for anybody, if I am with people or ir someone is coming up to the door at the same time. Generally, I think it just makes sense both because it is efficient, and it can stave off collisions and blockages at the door way. Practicality aside, I feel that whomsoever reaches the door first should open it, if only to pass it on to the next person still open. When a women hold a door for me, I give her the same smile and thank you that I'd give a man.

* Do we need to invent new rules and codes to deal with a burgeoning populace?
- The old rules work just fine, but we have to adapt them to new ways of interacting; email, texting, etc.

* Could we learn more from other cultures about the way we treat each other?
- Learn more, but shouldn't copy. Cultures develop their courtesies over time, and for often specific reasons. Pre-European influence, for example, when Japan built most of their housing of bamboo and ricepaper, they taught themselves to compartment their minds. Sounds from other rooms were normally ignored as if they were in another structure. Politeness helped them keep a sense of privacy.
- It wasn't necessarily better, just different and for a reason.

* Is a more spiritual approach to the burdens of modern life a way of taking off the pressure instead?
- I don't know that I understand the question?! Religion has caused so much strife, warfare, and pain, that it's hard to equate the spiritual with less stress.

* Is there a custom you'd like to see make a comeback?
- Personal responsibility. I'd like to see people just confess their guilt, even when they might evade punishment by claiming innocense. Even on the field of sports. I've never thought as highly of an athlete as when they tell the referee 'Thanks; but, sorry, I was wrong'.

* What's the rudest thing you've ever done (and do you regret it?)?
- The things I most regret have nothing to due with any rude actions on my part. Strange, that.

smiley - towel

Post 2

GarudaJones

Nicely put FT
On the question of sprituality, I speak from the point of view of someone who was recently introduced to the art of Buddhist meditation. Buddhism being strictly non-violent/non-materialistic philosophy which doesn't really equate with a 'religion' as we would term it, it counts as spritual without the taint of religious bigotry.
As a method of coping with stress, greed, anger and depression it's quite amazing (in my experience). I think that's what I was getting at.
If you're wondering, I was raised Anglican, which I have a lot to thank for, even if I'm not a practising Christian these days.
But any philosophy of tolerance, compassion and good will towards the fellow human being has to be good!
smiley - biggrin

Post 3

BeowulfShaffer

Very nicely put particularly on the door point.

Post 4

FordsTowel

Thanks, GJ! smiley - biggrin

Yes, Buddhism seems to be more of a way of life than a religion to most of us, but I'm sure that Buddha comes in there somewhere as well. Spritual, without the taint of religious bigotry, is a fine way of stating it.

It's such a pity that most religions seem to have gained leadership that counters most of what is being preached. I'm thinking of the crusades, inquisitions and such, mostly; but I've also seen so many pictures of religious leaders who, whether or not they've taken a vow of poverty, dress better and live better than 99.9% of those they are preaching to.

Thank you, too, BeowulfShaffer: smiley - ok

smiley - towel

Post 5

andyd-185

relating to your note on sport, i feel a bit of honesty goes a long way, as well as in other applications (politics for instance). there are too many cases of dishonesty in sports, like the Renault team who ordered one driver to crash on purpose to give the other a better chance, or the rugby player with the blood capsule.

Post 6

FordsTowel

OMG! That goes beyond lying, or even accepting a bad, but helpful, call during a game!

That's more along the line of criminally insane!smiley - doh

smiley - towel

Post 7

andyd-185

naw, its just cos a lot of sport is commercialized nowadays, that player doing that probs bought around some added exposure for the team and their sponsors

Post 8

GarudaJones

Money and sport
an oxymoron if ever I heard one.
'Sporting' behaviour being a way of describing exactly what we're talking about here. Fairness, good humour, the ability to accept defeat; not as something unjustified or unfair, but as part of the balance of the universe etc etc.
Only lucre and self-interested pride would explain the need to flout those codes.
Speaking personally I probably would have become far more interested in spoirting activities if there hadn't been such a dark heart of hypocrisy in many of its facets.
Gosh, got a bit pent up there, didn't I?
and relax... smiley - erm
GJ

Post 9

andyd-185

yes it might be more enjoyable if one wasn't scrutinizing every more they make. I would definitely watch sports if, after a fall, the other player picked the fallen up, dusted them down, gave them some encouragement and offered them the ball, all in a very olde-english accent. smiley - biggrin

Post 10

FordsTowel

I've always had a sufficient interest in playing sports, but not at the level that requires referees, line judges, and the like. Once you get into organized competitive team sports, I tend to lose interest even in watching.

I'd much rather be playing the sports with a few friends. And, I never really got the sense that they were supposed to be a spectator event. Why would I want to pay to watch others having all the fun down on the field?smiley - erm

smiley - towel

Post 11

andyd-185

yea playing is more fun than watching, exept in the case of being in goal, thanks but no thanks.

Key: Complain about this post