A Conversation for Talking Point: Etiquette

Manners

Post 1

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

There have been a few times where I've helped people with stuff. I once saw a person using two walking sticks walking towards his car and leaning the stick against the roads side of the car to get in. One his walking sticks fell over and i picked it up for him and said there you go etc (not in a patronising waysmiley - winkeye) he was really nice and said thanks etc. It took 5 seconds to do and would have saved the bloke a lot of trouble as he did have mobility problems. I'm not sure what he thought I was going to do as teens do seem to get some bad press but hopefully acts like this do go a long way to avoid sterotypes (something i try to avoid).

I'm sure there was another time where i did something similar but I can't remember it, I do try to hold doors open for people especially if they have prams or are carrying a lot, and in general as well.

Normally when I'm at the supermarket and i only have a few bits and pieces some people will say do you want to go in front of me, i normally say thanks and yes/no depending on mood etc

Please and thankyou i try to use as well. Or cheers etc something to let people know that I appreciate what they've done.

smiley - biggrin


Manners

Post 2

andyd-185

i'm also in my teens and try to not encourage this reputation for bad manners, or "hooliganism," that we seem to have been given. saying please and thank you is a favorite, as well as waving at someone whilst driving if they wait or something. i do sometimes even find manners not appreciated, especially in the older generation, whether this is just sheer surprise, deafness, or because they don't notice me i don't know.
Andy


Manners

Post 3

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Welcome to h2g2 andy, An ACE ( Assistant Community Editor) will drop by yours Personal Space and give you a welcome fairly soon.smiley - biggrin

Yeah good point about the saying thanks thing when crossing roadssmiley - biggrin I haven't had any bad experiences with older people, I do think sometimes that they are suprised that younger people say thanks. Most of the problems i've had (not that many actually) with rude people appear to be people in their teens or mid 25's to 30's.

Still it's good when people are polite to you as well, I've met a few rude people but most people seem nice enoughsmiley - biggrin


Manners

Post 4

andyd-185

yea i'm not gonna go for the "daily mail" aspect, which is doom, gloom and despair, just cos a few people let the side down doesn't make the rest bad.smiley - ok


Manners

Post 5

GarudaJones

It seems the initial reaction to this point is that fings ain't as bad as they seem. However, h2g2 is a very model of decency and good manners as far as I've ascertainedsmiley - ok
So naturally we're all going to be polite, upstanding citizens (albeit with wicked senses of humour).

GJ


Manners

Post 6

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Hootoo certainly is one of the better places on the wevb, well traveleld as i am.

I did once see two guys arguing over something pointless.

I was comparing two graohics cards and did a google search which lead me to an internet forum where someone had asked the same question. One respondednt posted a link to a chart that compared all the modern graphics cards, the second guy/girl turned up and said there's two missing from that list; look at this site etc for the missing ones.
It all seemed to go downhill form there with the two people accusing each other of various different things and neither person apologizing for over-reacting or mistaking the post for being something it wasn't.

On hootoo people are more likely to go oh woops thanks for filling the gaps and get on with life.

Still some people will always argue just for the hell of it and some people will refuse to admit that they are wrong. still they do appear to be very much in the minority on h2g2,smiley - laugh


Manners

Post 7

GarudaJones

I once shared a house with a couple who ENJOYED arguing.
I'm the kind of person who can't watch Eastenders due to it being composed almost entirely of scenes where people shout at each other smiley - winkeye
Needless to say, I didn't live there long (and besides all the crockery was gettimng broken too).
Sometimes I do long for a world where everyone keeps cool...
GJ


Manners

Post 8

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

I must admit to loosing it very slightly with a kid that deliberately rode his bike in front me earlier. I pushed him out of the way and he had a bit of a go at me. Pity (for him) that I was listening to rock music at the timesmiley - winkeye

still it's not often i get shirty at people, life's too shortsmiley - biggrin


Manners

Post 9

andyd-185

well being smiley - cool is all well and good, but its no use being a pushover, maybe every once in a while it's good to get a bit "shirty," only in the right situation though.


Manners

Post 10

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Any other day I probably would have ignored him but (here come the excusessmiley - winkeye) I had just had P.E, started a new school, started A-levels etc.

I still shouldn't have don it though.


Manners

Post 11

andyd-185

rubbish, he shouldn't have rode his bike right in front of you. besides P.E (especially P.E. teachers) and A-levels do have the unfortunate effect of bringing up the stress. just have a smiley - tea when you get home, or a smiley - ale (whichever's most effective), and forget.


Manners

Post 12

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

smiley - coffee works best for mesmiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post