Talking Point: Etiquette

11 Conversations

Japanese ladies bowing
I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?
- Pink Floyd

In a world that’s on course for population overload, and where every teeming metropolis means that we have to live very closely next to our fellow man/woman, rudeness and agression are on the increase. Whether it be on public transport, in a restaurant, or just walking down the street, it seems that certain rules of behaviour are more pertinent and practical than ever. With this in mind, our talking point this week is etiquette and good manners.

Are these attributes a thing of the dim and distant past? Or is it time to reintroduce the age of chivalry and respect for our fellow human?

  • When was the last time someone was genuinely courteous to you?

  • Holding a door open for a member of the opposite sex: outmoded sexism or just common decency?

  • Do we need to invent new rules and codes to deal with a burgeoning populace?

  • Could we learn more from other cultures about the way we treat each other?

  • Is a more spiritual approach to the burdens of modern life a way of taking off the pressure instead?

  • Is there a custom you'd like to see make a comeback?

  • What's the rudest thing you've ever done (and do you regret it?)?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A57290321

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more