A Conversation for The Forum

Brand and Ross - Should they go?

Post 61

Mister Matty

"I think the BBC is generally as popular as it was but it's almost frustration on my part that the BBC are doing what you have said they are. The intellectual satisfaction and the enjoyment of comedy on the BBC for me has dwindled. I can't enjoy watching 'dumbed down' science programme or documentary (or docu-drama as they seem to be) without feeling as though there is something missing or just leaving the programme thinking that they spent more time thinking baout the flashy visuals than the actual content and purpose of the programme."

The "dumbing down" thing is because that's what the public seems to want. When people, like the poster above, insinuate that "more and more people" are upset with the BBC dumbing-down what they really mean is themselves. It's a shame from a public-service perspective in the Reithian sense, of course, but the BBC has to compete to be popular and it has to be popular to justify its very existence.

Incidentally, I don't think "docu-dramas" are dumbed down so much as a way of making things more accessible. They've worked brilliantly in history programmes in the past - Simon Schama's "History of Britain" (which was a genuinely intelligent look at history) used it quite well and unintrusively, for example.

"Also, in this age of PC-ness and not wanting to offend anyone, comedy will have its teeth pulled for many years to come. Also, comedy programmes cost money. They can take sometime to bed in and the suits at the BBC want an instant success rather than letting a comedy show mature over a few series. Obviously, this never worked with 'My Hero' and I will mever know why it was on for so long."

The recent furore is why that "PC-ness" exists in the first place. You can already hear BBC presenters treading on eggshells when they're talking about this and that, wondering if they might offend someone. The viewers get the service they ask for. If they're going to go crazy because their sensibilities have been offended (and it is about the viewers now, Sachs was always happy with an apology and even his grandaughter says the whole thing has gone too far) then they're going to get an ultra-PC BBC.

The "instant success" thing is a poisonous bit of TV executive culture imported from the USA where shows are expected to perform immediately or pulled. If we'd always used it then some of the most popular and well-loved British series and sitcoms would never have got past a first series. Fortunately, I think the tide might be turning.

Post 62

van-smeiter

I know it isn't the nub of the issue but did anyone who has posted in this thread hear the Brand/Ross incident as it was broadcast?

I thought Jo Brand's line as presenter of Have I Got News For You was terrific. "I'm not related to Russell Brand but I have f**cked his grandfather!" smiley - laugh

Brand, Ross and Clarkson - Should they go?

Post 63

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

talking about jokes people dont like an MP FOR Ipswich has called for J Clarkson to be sacked ,what an attentionseaker, if you live in ipswich go and slap this sad loser of an MP

Post 64

Taff Agent of kaos

the Ipswich rugby team are in trouble.......they can't get the Hookerssmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

smiley - bat

Post 65

qoute for you chris mole ipswichlabour MP said"Clarkson, 48, was taking part in a driving task, when he joked about lorry drivers killing sex workers."
SEX WORKERS!?!? its supposed to be illegal they are clled prostitutes, they haven't been nationalised!

Bl@@y government!

Post 66

qoute for you chris mole ipswichlabour MP said"Clarkson, 48, was taking part in a driving task, when he joked about lorry drivers killing sex workers."
SEX WORKERS!?!? its supposed to be illegal they are clled prostitutes, they haven't been nationalised!

Blsmiley - crosssmiley - crossy government!

Post 67

Alfster

I am glad to see Clarkson apologising on tonights Top Gear...not about the whore thing of course...

Removed

Post 68

Alfster

This post has been removed.

Post 69

Alfster

van-smeiter... il penseroso

No, but if I heard about any illegal act that went un-challenged I would hope people would complain about it once they did hear about it.

And that is the main issue. Most of th people who listened to it wouldn't have known about the telecommunications act etc

Post 70

McKay The Disorganised

I think that by definition if you listen to Russell Brand you are beyond redemption and probably don't know what taste is.

smiley - cider

Post 71

Mister Matty

>SEX WORKERS!?!? its supposed to be illegal they are clled prostitutes, they haven't been nationalised!

Yes, let's not miss sight of what the *real* moral issue is here. smiley - rolleyes

Key: Complain about this post