A Conversation for The Forum

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 1

Arnie Appleaide - Inspector General of the Defenders of Freedom

The EU has officially labelled the PKK (a Kurdish group) as terrorists, and yet they refuse to extradite them to Turkey. This is especially puzzling, given that there is a risk of outright war/conflict between Turkey and the PKK operating out of northern Iraq.

If the EU thinks the PKK are justified, then de-classify them as terrorists. If not, then obey their extradition treaties.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 2

letoffsteam

The list of whats wrong with the EU would take too long to put in one post so how about whats right with the EU?

Lets see, there's,............................................

erm............................

err, well, there's.............................

Ok, as you were, whats wrong with the EU. smiley - yikes

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 3

swl

Is it that they *won't* extradite them to Turkey, or that they *can't* due to the HRA? Turkey doesn't have a great record of respecting Human Rights after all.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 4

Rod

No 1, The top dogs aren't elected.

No 2, Our lot don't care, they seem to want to be part of it.

No 3, No. can't be bothered.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 5

Beatrice

What's right with...

cheaper cars
cheaper flights
cheaper mobile phone calls
better air and water quality
ease of travel and work across member states
self-sufficiency on food production

oh, and no European War on the scale of the 2 major World Wars in the first half of the 20th century.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 6

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Most PKK are in Iraq, it's not upto the EU to go around rounding them up there and extraditing them.
The specific case to which I would guess you are reffering is about Austria, not the EU as a whole. Austria and Turkey haven't exactly had good relations for a number of centuries. Asking Austria to be nice to Turkey, is like asking Florida to be nice to Cuba without consideration of Florida's constituents or Federal law.

In answer to the title question -- The Common Agricultural Policy, the EU fisheries policy, the apparent lack of clear and open democratic process on pan European level and so on...

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 7

Maria

What´s right with EU:

- Its literature.
- The most merciless criticism I´ve ever read/notice about EU comes from North Americans. (There are bright people everywhere)
- the mixture of cultures.

What´s wrong:

-the educational system, the health system... the sad social policies.
- the pervasive and highly negative influence of religion.
- the strengh of the rawest capitalism; how it absorbs and neutralizes any try to fight it.
- the very spread thought of "we American are the navel of the world"

For sociological interest ( if you may wanted to know it):
I´ve never been there, I live in a Mediterranean country.

Marsmiley - smiley

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 8

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

Hi Mariangus, I think the original poster was asking 'what's wrong with the European Union', which in English is EU - rather than the United States which I know in Spanish is EU (Estados Unidos).

I used to live in Portugal and always got confused when people talked about the EU as I never knew which one they meant!smiley - cheers

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 9

Todaymueller

Well you learn something new everyday Deakie .
I think some criticism of the EU is unfounded , saying all the decisions are made in secret is not entirely true . What actually happens is its not reported . The only dedicated coverage on tv i can think of is 'the record europe' on bbc news 24 . Its not covered in the media becouse it does not sell . The only time it is mentioned in tabloid newspapers is when they invent stories to pander to the xenophobic tastes of their readership . I am most definately thinking daily mail here .
With regard to foriegn policy the EU has been closer to the wishes of the population of this country [ the UK ] than our own government .

best fishes.......tod

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 10

"Most PKK are in Iraq, it's not upto the EU to go around rounding them up there and extraditing them."

Who said they should?

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

first post

And I think the other post about it summed it up: the EU tries its very best (although with the US has a not so good record) of extraditing people to countries where the death penalty might (in this case undoubtedly will) apply.

What's wrong with the EU?
well plenty I suppose - what's wrong with individual governments? Same thing on a bigger scale.

But I'm with Beatrice - I think it's a good thing.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 12

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

EU countries will not extradite anyone who might face the death penalty.
The UK for instance will not extradite even to the US unless there is assurances that they ownt be topped...

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 13

Maria

Hi Deakie,smiley - biggrin thanks for the comment on my mistake.
It seems that I read my mind instead of what was written.
smiley - handcuffs
Marsmiley - smiley

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 14

Beatrice

Diplomacy and politics aren't always easy to deal with in a black and white fashion. Youi have to weigh up the lilihood and seriousness of international incidents as a result of actions. So yes it's easy to say one thing, but more difficult to take action to support that viewpoint.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 15

badger party tony party green party

I had avoided even reading this thread as it woudl make my blood boil and mean that I spent ages telling people how wrong they are.

The i come here and find Sho has said pretty much what I would have said and including the dodgy typing (she even missed "not" out of one of the sentencesto make it look like the EU tried to extradite people to countries with the death penalty).

What can I do now?

smiley - rainbowsmiley - footprints

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 16

McKay The Disorganised

Wait for them to make Tony Blair the President ?

Then see what happens when he declares war on someone who's upset America.

(I understand they're considering somewhere less ambitious next time, Monaco is sweating)

smiley - cider

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 17

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Juncker would less controversial.

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

eeps!
thanks for pointing out the missing "not" BB

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 19

If the EU is unwilling to extradite the PKK b/c of death penalty issues, then what is the EU doing with the suspects?

What's Wrong with the EU

Post 20

Alfredo

Don't forget, that Europe has never known peace as long as this time after 1945.

The wars by Napoleon.

Thew first world war.

The second world war.

The holocaust of 7 million Jews and others

(Colonies and slavery, outside Europe).

Inside and outside Europe has caused a huge damage to people inside aswell outside.

So, "no wars" is not the main feeling, but it's still a fact.

Plus that new members first have to adept to all standerds of human rights, environement, minorities, free and fair elections, etc. etc.

So I am more comparing it with the past, that is so shameful.

Me, myself; i'd like to see rules and laws reduced to a minimum and we quit sectarion behaviour; The European parlement keeps moving from Brussels to Strassburg, because some members stick to their opinion.
That;s really sick, but nothing compared what has been achieved.

Plus it would be very stupid in these days to return to our own nation
and watch the trade passing bye, because we are not one market to sell and buy.

Alfredo, Amsterdamned

Key: Complain about this post