This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

Obstacles

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

As some of you know, I suffered from TB a few years back and now need to have an x-ray of my lungs done once a year until further notice (for at least five years after I got the 'all clear').
Now I could go to my GP and have him transfer me to someplace with an x-ray unit, or I can go to the 'Stadtgesundheitsamt' (municipal health office) and have it done there. I decided the latter was the easier and faster way of having it done, so I've gone there for the last three years. When I was summoned by mail this year, I didn't actually read the whole thing. I only made sure they were open today (there opening times are a joke: Mon to Friday from 8.00 to 11.00am), because it is what we call 'Rosenmontag' here (Carnival Monday), and you'd best make sure the office is open, as they are a bit silly with Carnival days here. Found out that they'll be closed on Friday this week and Monday next week because they are about to move. On arriving, the office where I was expected to check in had a note on the door asking me to go to another office (same floor, fortunately). I went there and didn't have to wait for long. When the lady saw it was a mail from her colleague (I had to show the letter AND my ID card), she asked me to leave her office again for a while because she had to go in the other office to get my file. smiley - zen

She got the file, and next thing she told me was that they've closed down the x-ray section, and that I now had to go to the Heilig Geist Hospital (Holy smiley - ghost Hospital - really!). When I mentioned that I hadn't known that, she said that it was mentioned in the mail, but that hardly anybody read it all the way through. Guilty as charged, but then I hadn't expected any changes. They were well prepared for this, though, because she gave me a plan, marking the way to the hospital. I'd never have found it without the plan. I hardly ever venture into the city centre and don't know my way around there as those who've been here for the German meet in 2006 can confirm. smiley - rofl

She then called somebody for my former x-rays. We waited while somebody searched for them smiley - zen
Got a letter for the hospital, my x-rays and the plan and left. The hospital isn't exactly round the corner from the Stadtgesundheitsamt, it was indeed a ten minutes walk, just like the lady had told me. Found the hospital - not without having to stop at nearly every street corner to study my plan. smiley - rolleyes
Guess what: I didn't find the x-ray department in the hospital. The description given to me by the lady at the reception was more than confusing, I nearly even missed to find the staircase, which I had to descend into the cellar. On asking, a nurse pointed me in the right direction - I had passed it without noticing it.

They didn't make me wait for very long, so the actual x-ray went quite quick in fact. I was asked to wait for a moment until she had checked the x-ray. After a while, the nurse called me back in. She had to repeat the x-ray, and would I mind to take a deeper breath this time, so the sides of my lungs would show on the x-ray, too. So, same procedure as before, but this time it worked out. smiley - puff
So, instead of the 1h 15 min I had expected, it took me a whole hour more. smiley - groan
Can't wait for next year. smiley - tongueincheek

Obstacles

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - headhurtsOh good grief. Poor Belsmiley - hugsmiley - smoochsmiley - cuddle At least you weren't injected with radioactive stuff (were you?) or pricked with needlessmiley - groan or smiley - vampire

smiley - yikes

smiley - run

Obstacles

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

No, the radioactive stuff is only injected when I have my thyroid gland checked (and they probed it with a needle, too, a few years ago). smiley - laugh

Obstacles

Post 4

Icy North

We're so jealous of your trains, it's nice to know that your health service administration isn't that far ahead of us.

Glad to hear all is OK smiley - hug

Obstacles

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

I think any positive stories about our trains are a myth. smiley - biggrin

Obstacles

Post 6

toybox

smiley - hug

I can confirm that German trains are wildly overrated. Although you could actually rely on the Bielefeld-Cologne line to be 10 minutes late smiley - weird

Obstacles

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, who in their right minds wants to take a train from Bielefeld anyway? smiley - run

Obstacles

Post 8

Maria

smiley - zen sending healing sunny-rays from Spainsmiley - zen

Today it´s a lovely sunny day here, so... it must work.

and lots of smiley - smoochs and smiley - hugs

Obstacles

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks, Mar. smiley - hug

I'm not ill, though, it's just an annual check. smiley - smiley

Obstacles

Post 10

Maria

Great, so you can have a few smiley - ales with them.

Obstacles

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

I) have a bottle of nice, alcohol-free apple wine. smiley - winkeye

http://www.possmann.de/shop/shop3new.php#5_119

Obstacles

Post 12

toybox

The train from Bielefeld is fine, it's taking one *to* Bielefeld which is worrying smiley - biggrin

Obstacles

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

You're right. smiley - biggrin

Obstacles

Post 14

Maria

How funny, the first item, jars, remind me the pottery of my town:

http://www.abacoarte.com/es/ceramica-granadina-23/popular-verde-azul-39/?osCsid=acdb327a396ce4edc2d4c3fd703d5fbc

Obstacles

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

Funny, I hadn't scrolled up that page, so had to go back to look what you were referring to. smiley - biggrin

MMF bought one of those when he was here in 2006. There is a shop here which sells this pottery exclusively.

Obstacles

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

Yours looks like porcelain, though, whilst the Bembels are earthenware.

Obstacles

Post 17

Maria

they aren´t porcelain.

There is a great variety that doesn´t appear in that page.

YOu should visit Granada to check itsmiley - biggrin

Obstacles

Post 18

aka Bel - A87832164

It's highly unlikely that I'll ever get to visit Spain, but in case I should do one day, I'll try to remember. smiley - biggrin

Obstacles

Post 19

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Bel - can you do us a favour? When writing a journal like that, *please* start off with "Before I say anything else, I'm ok!" - I was really worried reading that - starting off with "You may know I had TB..."

I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it, but I'm glad you're ok! smiley - hug

Obstacles

Post 20

Beatrice

Gluckliech Rosenmontag! smiley - rose

Have you any plans for Carnival?

Key: Complain about this post