A Conversation for Why be a Biker?

Peer Review: A1069382 - Why be a Biker?

Post 1

justed

Entry: Why be a Biker? - A1069382
Author: justed - U229906

If you have read this and have an opinion, feel free to express it.
This is designed to hopefully get a debate going on the subject in the hope that someone may actually learn something from it, in the traditional H2G2 fashion.
Remember the words of Douglas Adams on the subject of being drunk, though.
"If you think there's nothing to fear from being drunk, ask a glass of water how it feels".

A1069382 - Why be a Biker?

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hi there, justed!

Have you had a chance to look at some of the other entries here on h2g2 that are in the Edited Guide? Looking at some of those will give you an idea of what kind of writing we are looking for here in Peer Review. Here are a few you might take a gander at:

A823312 Motorcycle Cruising in the North Island of New Zealand
A546437 Motorcycling in Thailand
A271720 How to Ride a Motorcycle
A246016 Racing MZ Motorcycles
A626122 The Chopper Motorcycle
A626122 Motorbiking in Devon

With some elbow grease, your entry could certainly develop into something more substantial, and have a shot at taking it's own place in the Edited Guide.

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 3

J

Don't forget the excellent recommended entry on How to Ride a Motorcycle to Work at A1061399

smiley - ok

smiley - blacksheep

Post 4

justed

Hi Mikey.
Thanks for the advice and support.
Obviusly I'm not new to writing but navigating something like H2G2 is proving a challenge.
Still, it's only a bit of fun, eh.

Post 5

Geggs

Hello Justed,

Have managed to find your way around h2g2 yet?

BTW, it's two months since any work has been done on this entry, are you planning to take it any further?

Geggs

Post 6

justed

Alright pal,
If I can find the time between rallying and partying, I'll have go at the enrty.
I don't reckon much will get done now before the season ends but thanks for the interest...

Post 7

Cyzaki

This still being worked on?

smiley - panda

Post 8

justed

Nah mate.
I'll get me 'ead round something in the winter...

Post 9

Number Six

Hi justed - you've got the makings of a good entry here, but if you're not going to be able to work on it for a couple of months, please could you take it out of Peer Review for the time being by clicking on this link?
<./>SubmitReviewForum?action=removethread&rfid=1&h2g2id=1069382</.>

When you've done a little more work on it, please do resubmit to Peer Review at the point and we'll do all we can to help get it into the Edited Guide, if that's what you'd like.

All the best,
Number Six

smiley - mod

Post 10

2 of 3

The guide seems to lack an entry which identifies and describes the various types of motorbikes . . . like chopper, scrambler, cruiser etc.

I would find such an article interesting as right now I have no clue about them.

2/3

Post 11

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I'm not volunteering to do such an entry. A chopper is a bike which has been stretched. I'm not sure if people do this any more. It used to be that they took cheap (say, ex-post office) bikes and chopped them to give them more style.

A scrambler is one which usually has a smallish engine capacity and a dirty great plate under the engine to protect it from being bashed, which is used to ride rough terrain. There used to be a programme on UK TV which featured bikes doing bunny hops, climbing over VW Beetles, etc. All very clever stuff.

Cruisers are generally large capacity bikes (made for much taller people than me) that can haul a large load, like, say the Honda Pan European. I have a friend who tours Europe with his wife camping on one of these. It can haul a large amount. The Police ride these sometimes.

I don't know if that helps. smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 12

2 of 3

Is a scrambler the same as a dirt bike?
2/3

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more