This is the Message Centre for Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

I am on an apple

Post 1

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Some days ago I got a third hand iMac from a colleague.

Nearly complete, only have to get this netbox to work and I have most platforms available. smiley - biggrin

PC on musof with a big variety of browsers.
PC on Linux with an as impressive list.
iMac OS 9 smiley - wow

smiley - bigeyes

I am on an apple

Post 2

Scandrea

What processor? G3, G4?

I am on an apple

Post 3

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Nice one TiT, and i too would like to know the processor too

RJRsmiley - smiley

I am on an apple

Post 4

Traveller in Time smiley - tit finding on the Mac
"It says G3, I had a system hardware overview the other day, now I cannot find it anymore.

I try to switch off windows on the left top on the musof systems too. smiley - weird "

I am on an apple

Post 5

Snailrind

I just recently got myself a second hand iMac, too. Not bad for £90, but a bit slow and clunky at times.

I am on an apple

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I found a Mac in a box in my attic. It's a very old one. I've never bothered to get it working.

I also have an Apple //e !

I am on an apple

Post 7

Traveller in Time smiley - titsmiley - drool
"I never 'find' something in my own house, I happen to have put it there myself.

I still got an original IBM PC 8088 running. Took me days but I managed to get it on the internet using WatTcp and a lynx build. Not jet managed to get the Z80 experimental boards to connect to the WEB in any way though. "

I am on an apple

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm sure I did put the Mac in the attic, but I had completely forgotten. I've worked with so many computers I don't remember them all. People give me old stuff and ask me if it would be any use to me. A lot of it just gets put in the attic.

I am on an apple

Post 9

Snailrind

I wish we had an attic. We've got the carcasses of old computers lying all over the house.

I am on an apple

Post 10

Traveller in Time smiley - tit taking the 'lowerator'
"Hmm, about time I redecorate the entry about my basement.

I have most of them stacked in the area just below the stairs. Piling up to the ceiling, only half a dozen is connected and those are on the desk just right of my 'physical desktop'. Doe stake a stack of hubs, monitors keyboards and switches to reach them. "

I am on an apple

Post 11

Snailrind

Just think of all the baked bean cans that lot could be made into!

I am on an apple

Post 12

Traveller in Time smiley - tit measuring cover thickness
"Some of the early boxes had a one mm thick plating smiley - biggrin nowadays the covers are just more than tinfoil smiley - wah

I have to stack them in ageing sequence, plastic covered nerar the ceiling. There is a carbon layer condensed on the inside just to provide some basic shielding. "

I am on an apple

Post 13

Snailrind

Hmm, stratification. Has anything begun to fossilise yet?

I am on an apple

Post 14

websailor

Gnomon,

I wish everyone who had old computers, or at least ones they didn't need any more, would give them away. There are so many people who would benefit. To total novices, any computer would be a bonus, a start to get them interested.

I know so many older people who have got involved simply because they were given sons'/daughters' old one. I doubt I would ever have joined the computer world, as it would have seemed a dreadful extravagance on our fixed income.

It opens up a whole new world, and gives an interest. I am disappointed that there don't seem to be many places that recycle them, though I know there are organisations that re-furbish and send them out to poorer countries.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

I am on an apple

Post 15

Scandrea

Actually, Websailor, there's been an investigation into that- a lot of those companies don't refurbish them. They dump them in poorer countries.

Be careful who you give an old computer to.

I am on an apple

Post 16

Wendy RedredRobin

And there was me thinking you were on some special healthy diet smiley - titsmiley - winkeye

I am on an apple

Post 17

Traveller in Time smiley - tit ambiguous about second hand systems
"Most of my systems are too unrelyable to give them to 'newbees', they tend to get frustrated by the failing systems and will not try again.

The 'very old' systems are often more intercompatible, with four IBM-PCs I managed to create one 'working'. It is a trail and error busyness that way, great study material. smiley - smiley
I am thinking of giving the iMac to my brother, he is a perfect newbee, not interfered by any knowledge or experience. "

I am on an apple

Post 18

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I've always had OSX as my main platform, so I don't know what OS9 does.

Despite my recent problems with my mailbox, I really love my Mac.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post