This is the Message Centre for Jim Lynn

Handheld History

Post 1

Jim Lynn

Robbie, the former CEO of h2g2 Ltd has launched his new venture, handheld history - http://www.handheldhistory.com. I think it's a great idea - you phone a number and you can listen to a short 3 minute talk on the history of a particular place, or a longer talk which will take you on a guided tour.

It's concentrating on Covent Garden in London at the moment, which is doubly interesting to me because I work just around the corner. As it grows, it'll add more locations and cities.

I think the idea is a great one. It's also interesting how many of the historical stories are 'unsuitable for children under fourteen' - proof if it were needed that filth and depravity didn't start with the internet. How better to kill half an hour than to wander around Covent Garden with Stephen Fry telling you all about Mrs Jenkins' flogging house.

Handheld History

Post 2

Peta

And the former Editor of h2g2, Mark Moxon U13, wrote the scripts for some of the tours, too. Just before he went off on his Land's End to John o'groats walk. smiley - ok So it's practically an h2g2 family concern...

Handheld History

Post 3

Ottox

smiley - wow

If only I ever was in London...

Looks like a very good idea! smiley - smiley

Handheld History

Post 4

Jim Lynn

Why not phone up and you'll feel like you're there?

Handheld History

Post 5

Mina

Filth and depravity? Flogging? smiley - blush hmm...

Handheld History

Post 6

Ottox

As soon as I've earned more money! smiley - tongueout

Hmmm... how would a call from abroad actually be billed?

Handheld History

Post 7

Ottox

Sounds VERY interesting! smiley - biggrin

Handheld History

Post 8

Demon Drawer

So Robbie is taking the original concept to a particular area is he. Good for him. smiley - smiley

If he needs scripts about anywhere that I might know let me know.

Handheld History

Post 9

IMSoP - Safely transferred to the 5th (or 6th?) h2g2 login system

smiley - laugh Jim, you appear to have been smiley - yikes'd!

Whatever this thread is about sure sounds interesting, though...

smiley - bleep those House Rules smiley - erm

Handheld History

Post 10

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

It's about handheld history, a new site: http://www.handheldhistory.com/aboutus.html. Jim's post linked straight to the frontpage, so it counts as advertising since it had the phone number on it! smiley - laugh

spelugx -- a smiley - cappuccino for the moderators

Handheld History

Post 11

Rho

That moderation was certainly, err, unexpected. smiley - erm

RhoMuNuQ

Handheld History

Post 12

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

All I can guess is that maybe it was seen as too commercial?

smiley - mouse

Handheld History

Post 13

Mina

I've put the Posting back.

The way we decide if a webpage is commercial is if you can buy something directly from the page - eg, it has a shopping basket, and this one hasn't.

Most phone numbers cost money to call, and we've never failed a website because there is a phone number on it; you can't get the service from this phone number without an access code.

Forgive me if I think that this was a show of sour grapes on someone's part.

Handheld History

Post 14

Mina

If this Posting is complained about by the same person again, it will be considered abuse of the complaints system. Anyone who abuses the complaints system repeatedly may have their account suspended.

Handheld History

Post 15

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

But why should we complain about post 14? Seems perfectly normalsmiley - winkeye.

And if all of the thousands of researchers should complain once, which one would you grab?smiley - smiley

Handheld History

Post 16

Whisky

What a great idea...

And nice to see someone's giving that no-good layabout Moxon something to do with all his free-time as well smiley - winkeye

Now... should I try and sell Robbie French & German translations of his work smiley - tongueout

Handheld History

Post 17

coelacanth

Just bookmarking!
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post