This is the Message Centre for Cyzaki

I can officially do karate!

Post 1

Cyzaki

Today I had my karate grading exam, and now I'm officially an 8th Kyu in Gendo Kai karate smiley - smiley So I can wear a red belt now rather than a white one. Admittedly I have to go buy said red belt, but I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

smiley - panda

Post 2

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

what about chinese checkers?

Post 3

dim26trav

What style of Karate is it? Okinawan? or an American style? I dont know Gendo Kai's style.

Some styles the red belt is the upper most senior masters, obvously that seems not to apply.

How many Kata's can you do? How many are there to do?

My favorite martial art is Akido, purely defensive style.

Anyway that's good to know you're progressing keep it up.

Post 4

Cyzaki

Gendo Kai is an 'ecky thump' style of karate, as you'd expect from one invented in Hull...

I can only do one kata right now, which is all I needed!

smiley - panda

Post 5

dim26trav

Does it at least give you a good work out? Sweat and all that stuff or is it just interesting/fun to do? Lots of grunting and huffing? PAIN?

Post 6

Cyzaki

Pain. Lots of pain. And sweat. And feeling like you're going to collapse and/or throw up.

But it's great fun! smiley - biggrin

smiley - panda

Post 7

dim26trav

There will be lots of pain to begin with. But over time your body will get used to it and begin to adapt to the stresses and gain strength. Even though I have no idea just what style this is, my guess is that it will be worth it if you gain confidence and physical conditioning. Other more powerful styles can come in the future if you keep at it.
From what I have heard, the most advanced style is Jeet Kun Do the style of Bruce Lee. But it requires that you master other styles first.

Good luck in your endeavor to improve yourself.

Post 8

Cyzaki

Our senseis say the pain never goes away, because you should always train as hard as you can. It's just as you get better you're able to train harder. The dan grades always have sweat pouring off them.

smiley - panda

Post 9

dim26trav

Is there any meditation after all of the sweat? Ki or Chi developement?

In akido it is all about the Ki or Chi. The physical part is secondary to the Ki. Even decades after I stopped practicing, I still do the Ki mediations.

I've seen movies from the 1920's of the founder of Akido taking on policemen 10 at a time and so confounding them. They were unable to pin him or even lay a hand on him. Akido is only defense, no offense at all. We were taught not to get into fights and if attacked the goal was submission not hurting the other fighter. Better to end as friends no one hurt than end breaking their heads or something else. A tough philosophy but it works. The highest philosophy is to be at one with the universe no "againstness"

Lets be clear Akido can be abused to break bones and joints. Steven Segal uses a variation called combat Akido. Not main stream Akido at all but for the "action" movies it works.

If you have the chance ask your sensei about Ki/Chi and how it is developed. "Ki" is the Japanese equivalent of the Chinese "Chi" same thing different name. Kind of like the "Force" from the Star wars movies but very real. I sincerely hope your sensei trains using this idea it is the basic fundamental of all martial art.

Good luck

Post 10

Cyzaki

No meditation, just beating people up smiley - smiley

I was sparring against a black belt on Saturday, needless to say I lost, didn't even score a single point, but it was great fun!

smiley - panda

Post 11

dim26trav

Does it at all interest you that there is another side to the martial arts? HMMM beating people up power, POWER, sounds like an unfortunate mix of all the wrong elements to me. Ever see the "Karate Kid" movies?

Well if that's really what you want then go for it, but it wouldn't interest me at all.

Post 12

Cyzaki

I'm doing karate for three reasons:

1) to get fit

2) to be able to defend myself if I need to

3) because I need a skill to develop for my Queen's Guide award

I find it great fun, and useful, so what's wrong with that?

And no, I've never seen 'Karate Kid', although I have tied my belt round my head and run around the house in my gi pretending to be the Karate Kid a couple of times smiley - erm

smiley - panda

Post 13

dim26trav

There is nothing WRONG with that. There IS more to it than just fun, there is a wider and more profound depth to it. If you want just fun then have fun I realize you are still young and have a lot to learn.

The skills you learn while in Karate have a responsibility to them. In a sense like driving a car. One can certainly have fun driving a car but much danger exists also. Being a race car driver and driving 200 kph is like being an expert in Karate. Both require great skill and both have great responsibility. The last thing I will bother you with is just this, be careful.

Enough said.

Is there anything else we can talk about?

Post 14

Number Six

smiley - biggrin I saw the art of Ecky Thump on that recap of the Goodies that was on the other night. Well done on the Karate front, but the real question is: how good are you at Hong Fu (<./> A2442863</.&gtsmiley - winkeye?

Post 15

Jayg19

new website for this style of karate, not finished yet but a work in progress, check it out at www.gendokai.co.uk afew pics and vids been put on already.

Good work on the grading, smiley - ok the other side of martial arts dim talks about is there for people when there ready. And who asks "how many katas do you know?"smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Cyzaki

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more